Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual weight, LS6 and T56, I need help on this:)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:58 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Actual weight, LS6 and T56, I need help on this:)

Asking here because I want the best info I can get, my son wants me to stay with a BMW engine in our M3 race car, I am seriously considering a swap as far less costly, more power, etc....and I own the engine, race harness, computer, EFI Live, etc......

We cannot seem to fine a correct answer, on the S50/52/54 engines, 5 speed Getrag or the LS6/T56.

Please help, this is for a race car, not a Vette race car but Vette powered and I do own two Vettes, one will be seeing HPDE and TT events soon

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have all the weights somewhere from when I did my swap. Unfortunately, They are all packed away with the rest of my stuff in storage currently. I'm thinking the engine was high 3xx's. The 98-02 F Body T56(the one you have to use) is around 125lbs. When I switched from the rotary to the LS, I didn't really gain any weight surprisingly.

Put the LS6 in... you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:49 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

LS1 equals 445 pounds with cast manifolds, water pump, alternator, power steering, bracket, belt and ac compressor.
25.5 inches long

Randy
Old 09-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Yeah, I should of clarified my set up. No PS or AC as I don't run them and I don't believe the headers were on the engine.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it. Put the LS engine in the BMW. Those BMW race-spec engines are fragile and don't make as much easy power. They make sense only if you need to build to a BMW Club Racing Class.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I am close to deciding, the more I look the more sense it makes to go with the LS6 even though we have done a huge amount of work on the S52 setup.

The car is nearly done, stock internals on the 3.0 but low miles on it, headers, custom exhaust(very sweet one I built if I say so myself intake, MAF, ported TB, cooling, oiling, injectors, tune, etc....at least $3k externally invested.

To build the S50 of S52, $7k minimum with all we can do in house to make 350 crank HP, sea level, on race fuel and spinning to max revs. An S54 not full built for less than 400 HP would cost even more, fully built would be $$$$$$$ by a shop $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I own the LS6, swap kit parts I need are less than $3k but the more I look the more I think of building my own mounts, etc...not that tough. Headers, $1,600 off the shelf but if I move the engine back 2-3 more inches might not work but is is so easy to do otherwise I am tempted.

Bat wing pan does not fit with current headers, if I mod the firewall and make my own I can keep the pan, use an Accusump and probably be fine on race tires....fat ones as probably going to switch from the current 18x10.5 sq setup to 18x12 rears, 295/335 tires.

Or, make things easier, buy the headers and mounts and go with a dry sump setup so I would not have to deal with the labor to move the engine back, make mounts, headers. etc....... I normally have more funds than time but love to make things myself more than just buy them.

Either way, the LS6 makes a ton of sense, if I pop it in the future just get a crate LS3, etc....cheap, reliable power. The car will weigh less than 2500 lbs, easily, I an detune and run pump gas and go fast for a very long time on these engines if all is done right.

Cost, I can see the BMW bits to pay for all I need and some parts listed below towards a dry sump

------------------

I need to go post some things for sale on the BMW forum and here(ZR1 fenders, CF skirts, splitter, Z06 bumper cover, I have a sweet deal on something different lined up for the Vette, money back in my pocket towards the swap, etc....

I even have a Ron Davis radiator and LG midpipes from my from my 02 chassis I can use, already measured, eyeballed them, etc, nice to have a lift, saves so much time and effort in so many ways!

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Rick,

Do the LS6. You're so far ahead of most conversion nutcases (I'm one, BTW), you know how to make safe mods to the LSx, and you know the reliability of modded BMWs (3 died at MSR this weekend) in my run group.

Besides, it drives the purists crazy!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I am about 99% sure now

Any reason to not use a T6060 transmission?

I am calling RPM to talk about trans choices they would recommend, any other recomedations are completely welcome

Thanks!
Rick
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Rick double and triple check the sub frame. My Ls1-German swap is about to hit a major road block with the sub frame. That is what torches and welders are for. But honestly it's going to be a major ordeal. Working and pretty aren't going to be the same sentence on this one Working yes

Randy
Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks buddy

On the E36 with the right oil pan, not the batwing, this will be a pretty easy fit as has been done many times and pictures to prove it if I just bend over and pay the price for the mounts that is. They are well made but rather costly, same as the headers and trans mount but it is so easy to do using them.

If I build my own a ton more time involved so I have to weigh the end results versus the time it takes. Usually I make more of my time by taking care of my customers instead of trying to save money making parts, which I love to do in most cases.

What platform are you stuffing an LS2 into, I imagine something for Ice Racing

Rick
Old 09-12-2011, 10:47 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
Thanks buddy

On the E36 with the right oil pan, not the batwing, this will be a pretty easy fit as has been done many times and pictures to prove it if I just bend over and pay the price for the mounts that is. They are well made but rather costly, same as the headers and trans mount but it is so easy to do using them.

If I build my own a ton more time involved so I have to weigh the end results versus the time it takes. Usually I make more of my time by taking care of my customers instead of trying to save money making parts, which I love to do in most cases.

What platform are you stuffing an LS2 into, I imagine something for Ice Racing

Rick
It is a ice racing project. The guys here aren't ready to see it yet. But I will send over a PM shortly.

Randy
Old 09-13-2011, 09:03 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks buddy, that is cool, my family thinks so as well, my wife gets it, my son always has......

Rick
Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

You prob. already know about samburg, but just in case here is a link to the stuff he built for another E36 LS conversion http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=3077.0

FWIW, his stuff is some of the best for the LS RX7 conversions.

Edit: Here is the thread with all the available e36 parts and pricing: http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=623.0

Last edited by Brent Dalton; 09-15-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Go LSX... local guy is building a road race e36 with a Jericho and a LS1: http://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311355
Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Go LSX... local guy is building a road race e36 with a Jericho and a LS1: http://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311355
Good lord, that is going to be like a 3 year long build by the time he is done, let alone time to get the thing setup. Maybe he likes wrenching more than driving.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Good lord, that is going to be like a 3 year long build by the time he is done, let alone time to get the thing setup. Maybe he likes wrenching more than driving.
I was thinking the same thing! I like driving waaaaaay more than I like wrenching. I picked my LS RX7 project up in Nov 08 while I was still in Afghanistan. I didn't get back home until May 09. I still had another track car(rotary RX7) and spent the summer at the track in it opposed to working on the project. Over the winter, we started working on it a little bit(I still did track events in December and January). I blew the rotary engine in my other track car at VIR in Feb. 10. I could of had it back on track the next weekend, but knew I'd never finish my project if I did that. I put the blown rotary engine track car on the back burner and did a full court press on LS RX7. I did my first track day at the end of March 10. It was pretty much fully sorted by Sept 10(took a little time as the Army moved me from TN to GA).
Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Corvettes are nice, but I lose it for FDs.

Get notified of new replies

To Actual weight, LS6 and T56, I need help on this:)

Old 09-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

and the LS engine fits so nicely in an FD :
Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Want.
But only if it can turn faster laps times than Travis @ VIR.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:26 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I have been reading threads all over the place and finding some incredible builds, now I am intrigued by 4 speed dog boxes, very low weight, tough it you drive them right....now I need to find out the best way to go, CHEAP as possible but reliable

There is a very nice low mileage, very clean, silver LS1 FD here I have a standing offer on if he ever sells it, very very well done, I have wanted it before he even started it and I have never bought a pre built car but once and it was a disaster and a lot of money. This one, sweet, I covet it

Now I wish I had not sold the dual disk clutch, billet TOB and Tilton 3 way pedal setup I had

Rick

Quick Reply: Actual weight, LS6 and T56, I need help on this:)