Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RaceLogic VBOX, ChaseCam DIVA, or TraqMate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default RaceLogic VBOX, ChaseCam DIVA, or TraqMate?

I have been reading up on these data/video systems for several weeks, and I am ready to pull the trigger. I would like any input or suggestions.

As the title says, I am down to the systems from RaceLogic, ChaseCam, and TraqMate.

My decision factors are based on the following:

Mandatory / Must Have Features
1.Turn key, user friendly, plug it in and go.
2.Complete system from a single vendor.
3.Multi camera system (front, rear and driver) with PIP display.
4.Flexible dash display, including speedo, tach, gear, etc.
5.Portable, able to move between cars with ease.
6.Include display for camera setting, remote start, power supply cable from car, and standard format removable storage (SD card).
7.NO file downloading, audio and video file synching, data overlaying or file conversion requirement.

Would be Nice Optional Features
1.Lap timer/display for current lap, best lap and predictive lap.
2.Shift point indicator, brake and throttle pressure.
3.Direct connection (OBD) for additional data.

Priority of Intended Use
1.Entertainment value, to create a video scrapbook of my track experiences.
2.To provide an instant “souvenir” to students I instruct, something for them to take home with them.
3.To improve my driving skill by evaluating sessions, and refresh my memory of tracks before subsequent visits.

I do not want to even discuss cost. I realize that all of these systems are expensive, but all of them are less expensive than tires when compared on a “per event” basis. A few hundred dollars difference is irrelevant.

Please chime in with any input or suggestions, especially those of you who have experience with more than one of these systems.
Of course, reliability and customer support are very important.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:24 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Do you have a budget?

http://store.aim-sportline.com/index...uct/show/id/20

Check this one out too. Aim Solo. There will be a DL version available later with the OBD input, but for basic data, this is great for the money. I have a traqmate, but if I didn't I would look into this one.

Traqmate does not have the multiple video you speak of. You can buy a chasecam though and sync that with any of the units.
Race-Keeper is a good idea as well as it has the video built in, but as of last I checked, they did not have a display.
There is the video Vbox but I don't know much about that.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fire up all the analysis software packages and see which ones you can make heads or tails of. In doing that I ended up with an AiM MXL Pista in my car... and I'll probably add a SmartyCam... in your case the SmartyCam may be enough as is...
Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

One of my columns last year dealt with the various data acquisition systems. Here's the link to that column.

The best advice is to purchase a system that your driving coach uses. Your coach is familar with a given system and he/she can provide a lot more help if they know how to use the system. If your coach has to learn your data acquisition system and help you improve your driving at the same time there could be a problem.

One of the really neat things is to put a professional in you car to lay down some fast laps. Now you have a baseline of what the car can do. Can you make the car do that? Or, how far are you below your car's capabilities?

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 09-11-2011, 05:26 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Do you have a budget?

Not really, but it seems that the entry level (Smatycam with ECU) is about $1250., The RaceLogic VBOX Light starts at $1750., and the ChaseCam DIVA at $2000. With those prices, I expect a pretty well featured system (with accessories) will be $2500.-3000.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Fire up all the analysis software packages and see which ones you can make heads or tails of. In doing that I ended up with an AiM MXL Pista in my car... and I'll probably add a SmartyCam... in your case the SmartyCam may be enough as is...
SmartyCam is a pretty good value IMO, as long as I would be willing to give up some of the higher end features.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:32 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by rfn026
One of my columns last year dealt with the various data acquisition systems. Here's the link to that column.

The best advice is to purchase a system that your driving coach uses. Your coach is familar with a given system and he/she can provide a lot more help if they know how to use the system. If your coach has to learn your data acquisition system and help you improve your driving at the same time there could be a problem.

One of the really neat things is to put a professional in you car to lay down some fast laps. Now you have a baseline of what the car can do. Can you make the car do that? Or, how far are you below your car's capabilities?

Richard Newton
Facebook
I have read your article several times in my research. Very good advice.

As for the driving coach, my goals and priorities are quite different, and I have passed the time when serious competition is important to me.

Regarding the suggestion to have an expert driver lay down a couple of laps in my car, that is a great idea, and could be useful at every track I drive at.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've really enjoyed my traqmate and that is what the majority of guys around here are using and has allowed me to compare data with faster guys and learn a good bit. Traqmate has been really great as far as tech support. Andre@traqmate is the man! I was also one of the first 100 to get the traqdash and have been very happy with it and use it as an actual dash. It uses an SD card opposed to the old traqmate having to be downloaded from the actual display. While there is a ton more data obviously but for entertainment value as you stated, it's hard to beat the video quality of the Sony HD($250) with the traqmate:
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered RaceKeeper? It integrates two cameras easily, and stores everything on one card, meaning you just have one file to mess with when you download. Ease of use is very good. Portability is too, just swap the main unit, stick the cameras on, plug in the OBDII cable and go.

That said, it's a tad more expensive than Traqmate. I bought a traqmate after looking at them all.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Still on the fence and watching this thread myself. I really like the Smartycam but all the guys I run with use Traqmate and it would be good to be able to compare runs.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

didnt race enought this year to be interested but would like to get one someday
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by Brent Dalton
I've really enjoyed my traqmate and that is what the majority of guys around here are using and has allowed me to compare data with faster guys and learn a good bit. Traqmate has been really great as far as tech support. Andre@traqmate is the man! I was also one of the first 100 to get the traqdash and have been very happy with it and use it as an actual dash. It uses an SD card opposed to the old traqmate having to be downloaded from the actual display. While there is a ton more data obviously but for entertainment value as you stated, it's hard to beat the video quality of the Sony HD($250) with the traqmate:

The coolest part of that video is watching the brake and clutch fluid
Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Thats cold, man.

I was afraid to ask what it was, just assumed it was some sort of alcaholic beverage, maybe Jack Daniels and Coke, or something.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Corvette_C6_me
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely get a pro in your car to do a few laps when you have a system fitted. If you buy a decent device (at least 10Hz!) you’ll be able to see directly what lines they take and their exact braking points- giving you something to work up to!

Systems which combine Video are by far the best. By recording everything it makes it much easier to look back over to see where you gained time and where you need to up your game.

Most racers I know use either RaceTech or Racelogic systems. There are up and down sides to both but for me the Racelogic system is by far the easiest to use and has given me some amazing footage.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvette_C6_me
Definitely get a pro in your car to do a few laps when you have a system fitted. If you buy a decent device (at least 10Hz!) you’ll be able to see directly what lines they take and their exact braking points- giving you something to work up to!

Systems which combine Video are by far the best. By recording everything it makes it much easier to look back over to see where you gained time and where you need to up your game.

Most racers I know use either RaceTech or Racelogic systems. There are up and down sides to both but for me the Racelogic system is by far the easiest to use and has given me some amazing footage.

Thanks for the input. I have decided on the RaceLogic VBOX, and it is being installed as we speak.

I am going with the (2) camera system (forward and PIP), with GPS, OBDII 4 channel, lap timer, video display and audio input.

I am initially installing the system using mostly the pre-set default values, with the dash overlay and track maps.

My first test run will be this week-end at Mid Ohio, and I will try to post up the results - unless I run into problems.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
thanks, I think?

Get notified of new replies

To RaceLogic VBOX, ChaseCam DIVA, or TraqMate?

Quick Reply: RaceLogic VBOX, ChaseCam DIVA, or TraqMate?