Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo at Sears Point

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Default AIM Solo at Sears Point

Tried my new AIM Solo GPS track timer at Sears Point yesterday and had a blast.......set two new personal best times

The AIM was easy to use, but the one gripe is that it did not come with the tracks preloaded. It had an option for me to enter the start/finish GPS point and then it ran on its own; all I had to do was turn it on at the beginning of each session (I was using internal battery; it will automatically turn itself on if using car's 12V). At the track I could view best lap times, review lap times of previous laps/sessions. There are predictive lap time features, but I have not tired those yet.

But the best part for an engineering geek like me was the analysis software. The unit captures data at about 10Hz so I can get speed, distance, time, lateral acceleration, GPS points, etc downloaded to Excel, graphed (even overlays), and sliced and diced in more ways than my brain can absorb......wow!

I have the basic unit which cost $399; I decided to build a mounting bracket instead of opting for the $50 suction cup mount (to windshield).

It's a great next step from the basic Hot Lap timer, which I was using as a backup, but was getting tired of whenever a transmitter was not set up or working.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to find out how to load up the tracks onto the unit so I don't have to manually set the start/finish point. Theoretically, if tracks are preloaded, I won't have to do anything but turn on the unit and drive since it will already know where the start/finish point is

Quick Reply: AIM Solo at Sears Point