Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping out wheels/lifting car.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Swapping out wheels/lifting car.....

Coming from Porsche, I could put the floor jack under the rear lifting point and lift the entire side of the car and swap out wheels. It was really easy and made swapping out street wheels for track wheels a piece of cake.

Can this be done on the Vette? And if not, is there an easier way to swap out wheels other than lifting each corner and/or using jack stands?

This is on a C6 BTW.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

If I am just swapping out wheels and not rotors, there is a support bar about mid way under the door where you can lift from. I still use the jack stand under the wheel that is off though.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Nick996
Pro

Originally Posted by waddisme
If I am just swapping out wheels and not rotors, there is a support bar about mid way under the door where you can lift from. I still use the jack stand under the wheel that is off though.
But does it lift the entire side from that one lift point?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,749 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Nick996
But does it lift the entire side from that one lift point?
Yes. I do not own a C5/6 but have worked on a few. If you look under the door you can see frame in spots (some spots are covered with plastic but the frame is still behind them). I like to put the jack under the car about even with the side view mirror. This will lift the front and rear pretty even allowing you to change the wheels on that side.

There are also slots in the from made for a jacking puck to be inserted. These are a little closer to the front of the rails, almost directly behind the front wheel. That point will still lift the whole side of the car but the front will be higher in the air.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Nick996
Pro

Originally Posted by Kubs
Yes. I do not own a C5/6 but have worked on a few. If you look under the door you can see frame in spots (some spots are covered with plastic but the frame is still behind them). I like to put the jack under the car about even with the side view mirror. This will lift the front and rear pretty even allowing you to change the wheels on that side.

There are also slots in the from made for a jacking puck to be inserted. These are a little closer to the front of the rails, almost directly behind the front wheel. That point will still lift the whole side of the car but the front will be higher in the air.
That's excellent news!

I need to buy those lifting pucks but before I did I wanted too know if I could lift the car like I wanted. That makes life much easier!!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick996
That's excellent news!

I need to buy those lifting pucks but before I did I wanted too know if I could lift the car like I wanted. That makes life much easier!!
Any piece of wood or other material the size of a hockey puck will do. The billet ones are nice if you are going to do it a lot. You can make your own. Either lift point will lift the whole side.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Any piece of wood or other material the size of a hockey puck will do. The billet ones are nice if you are going to do it a lot. You can make your own. Either lift point will lift the whole side.

Yes. I use the rear puck point just forward of the rear wheel. I use a real hockey puck--works fine. Lifts whole side of car easily. This is really helpful for changing rear rotors.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I jack mine from the front shipping slot. The billet pucks are a little small in diameter to support half the weight of the car. On both my 97 and my 03 I had small indentations in the frame where it bent inwards where the puck was used. Before I purchased the pucks I used a 6 inch piece of 2x4 and never had an issue. A real hockey puck may be just large enough in diameter to avoid pushing in the frame. If you don't mind a little dent in the frame then don't worry about it. They didn't seem to affect anything on the car.

Bill
Old 09-13-2011, 01:50 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I know this is obvious to the experienced track guys, but this warning can never be stated too many times.

NEVER expose your arms, legs, or any body part under the car while it is supported only by a jack !

If the car were to come down, especially on a lowered car, you would be in serious trouble. Jack stands are the obvious precaution (with locking pins), but I have also seen others lay a mounted tire under the frame as a back up plan. Anything to keep the car from falling on your legs.

More people are using the newer light weight jacks from HF, etc. at the track, and even the best jacks can fail, or accidentally be "bumped" out of the locked position.

I know this is all basic "jacking 101" stuff, but I regularly hear of mishaps that should have been prevented.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Nick996
Pro

Yes but let's hope people who are doing this have enough snap to take the proper precautions.

That being said.... the Darwin Awards exist for a reason!!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:47 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Yes. I use the rear puck point just forward of the rear wheel. I use a real hockey puck--works fine. Lifts whole side of car easily. This is really helpful for changing rear rotors.
Same here works very well
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
I know this is obvious to the experienced track guys, but this warning can never be stated too many times.

NEVER expose your arms, legs, or any body part under the car while it is supported only by a jack !

If the car were to come down, especially on a lowered car, you would be in serious trouble. Jack stands are the obvious precaution (with locking pins), but I have also seen others lay a mounted tire under the frame as a back up plan. Anything to keep the car from falling on your legs.

More people are using the newer light weight jacks from HF, etc. at the track, and even the best jacks can fail, or accidentally be "bumped" out of the locked position.

I know this is all basic "jacking 101" stuff, but I regularly hear of mishaps that should have been prevented.

When changing tires I make sure none of my body parts are under the car and am in a position to push backwards from the car.

Having seen cars fall off jacks many years ago I always feel a little nervous when I jack the car up and then have to reach under it to place the jack stand. Using the tire/wheel as a back stop is a way of limiting damage but you could still get hurt while in that exposed position.

Bill
Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I shove a jack with a nice pad under the car on the frame pretty much directly under the side mirrors which are about half way between the jacking points... jack there and the entire side comes up.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:59 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I shove a jack with a nice pad under the car on the frame pretty much directly under the side mirrors which are about half way between the jacking points... jack there and the entire side comes up.
An old leather wallet works well as a pad.

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping out wheels/lifting car.....

Quick Reply: Swapping out wheels/lifting car.....