Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Schroth Clubman?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:13 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Thoughts on Schroth Clubman?

The G-Force 6 point harness is not available anywhere until late September or early October. I need one prior to that for my next HPDE. I am looking for an equivalent replacements in the same price range and came across the Schroth Clubman 6 point. I ran a search and found very little info here on the forum and wanted to hear thoughts on it.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I am sure the clubman is a good harness. The major thing I like about the G-force is that it comes in pull up lap belts, which is very nice to have in a vette because of the tight quarters. And it is still almost half the price of a clubman. Have you checked with Discovery Parts? I just tried to order it online and it did not show out of stock. Part# GF7101 JD
Old 09-17-2011, 12:26 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Thanks Jim.

I should clarify what I was looking for. 6 point cam lock harness, snap in.

Why do you like the pull up vs. the standard pull down harness? I was told to buy pull down...

I called over a dozen distributors this week regarding the G-Force and nobody has them even though their websites say otherwise. I haven't heard anything bad about the Clubman, it's just that not many people have spoken of them here on Corvette Forum. They only cost about $50 more than the cam lock G-Force and still far less expensive than competitors such as Sparco, Simpson, etc.

Last edited by taken19; 09-17-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:35 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
Thanks Jim.

I should clarify what I was looking for. 6 point cam lock harness, snap in.

Why do you like the pull up vs. the standard pull down harness? I was told to buy pull down...

I called over a dozen distributors this week regarding the G-Force and nobody has them even though their websites say otherwise. I haven't heard anything bad about the Clubman, it's just that not many people have spoken of them here on Corvette Forum. They only cost about $50 more than the cam lock G-Force and still far less expensive than competitors such as Sparco, Simpson, etc.
Sorry, I had the price mixed up, you are right on the price. The pull up allows you to, as stated, pull up on the lap belts to tighten them. And with the tight confines of the vette, I find that easier to do then trying to pull down on the lap belts. Just my opinion! JD
Old 09-17-2011, 02:02 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Thanks again Jim. I guess I didn't think about how little space you crisply have once the door is shut and all your safety eqpt is on.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:06 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Anybody else?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM
racer313g
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't really impressed. They use a seatbelt type of material for the sub belts and overall they just felt cheap. Ended up sending mine back and going with the G-force.

G-force pull downs are FIA certified for 5 years, pull ups were not tested because of the additional cost, so they are SFI certified for 3 years. I'd rather have pull ups too, but elected to go for the extra 2 years of certification.

Try to call this place: http://www.usracegear.com/

They are local to me and typically keep G-force belts in stock. Mods please delete website if I'm not allowed to post it here.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Pull ups work better in a Vette but have risks. The biggest risk is getting the adjuster caught in the side pass through in the seat. You get in the car put the belt on and pull it tight but the adjuster is sitting in the pass through. You have an incident which throws your body forward and maybe sideways and the adjuster catches the lip of the pass through and releases the belt allowing your body to move much further forward. Got that info during a seminar presented by Joe Marko. Since that day I moved the adjusters on my G Force belts so they are moved more into the lap area so there isn't any chance of them catching on the pass through.

The Schroth also comes as a pullup belt.

Not sure why somebody would be worried by them using a Seat Belt type material. It is higher quality than the stiffer stuff on the G Force belt. Think about it street type seat belts have to put up with a lot more abuse than a racing harness and last 10 years or more. They can take more sun light, more spilled food and drink and more sweat and still hold their strength. Schroth uses this same belt material in all of their belts including the ones the Cup Drivers use.

I would really like to buy the one that uses the 2 inch lap belt as that actually protects better than the 3 inch belts do since it fits the pelvic girdle much better. However, it is too expensive for me.

Bill
Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want a 6-point cam-lock G Force set-up, I have an extra one in Black that I purchased in 2009. Never has been used. I am also removing the one in my Z this weekend as I purchased a Schroth for use with the new Hans. PM me if you are interested. I think I have all of the attachments still in the OEM boxes and packaging.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on Schroth Clubman?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Schroth Clubman?