Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron Davis Radiator/Oil Cooler DIY Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:17 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ron Davis Radiator/Oil Cooler DIY Instructions

Does anyone have DIY photo instructions for a Ron Davis radiator/oil cooler install? I'm debating wether to try it myself or take to a shop.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DansBlkonBlkZ06
Does anyone have DIY photo instructions for a Ron Davis radiator/oil cooler install? I'm debating wether to try it myself or take to a shop.
It,s pretty straight forward, just take everything off the top of the radiator, drain the radiator, disconnect trans oil lines and lift radiator out the top. You do NOT have to disconnect the AC from the condenser! You can slide the condenser off of the front clips on the radiator and slide the radiator past it. If you are going with the Engine oil being cooled by the radiator? then you have to take out the engine oil cooler and redo the lines to connect to the new radiator. Just take your time, it's not an overly hard job. You can buy the engine oil distribution block and lines from several sources. Call RD radiators they are great to work with. Call if I can be of any help. JD Good luck, no biggie!!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:41 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

his is a C5, he doesn't have trans/oil coolers already. Just tedious getting the condensor out of the way.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a great writeup that I paid Bill with oil for Please send me over your email and we can send a copy right over.

Randy
Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my RD from Randy, no instructions, did not need them, not a tough job on my C6 with cooler. I have one from my ex track 02Z06 I am keeping for another project, RD are the best

Rick
Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's radiator got a crack recently, and since her car is a hybrid race/street car, I chose a RD radiator. Delivery was prompt, and the installation was straightforward.

The only piece I had to change was the drivers side radiator support rubber pad. Since the RD is large at the base, that had to be modified. Some work with a knife and that was it. The AC condenser and the fan assembly clipped in with no issues. I had to detach the external oil cooler from in front of the condenser, but that was trivial. I used teflon tape on the three things that needed sealing, and it's not leaking so far. Really nice radiator. Temps are topping out at 196F when ambient is 100F, under heavy traffic conditions. Can't wait to try it at the track.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I installed an RD radiator in two C5s. Here are the main issues I had. 1) Getting the radiator fan shroud off the radiator. You have to lift it and slide it backwards or remove it. This turned out to be a PIA due to the amount of space. Either it was getting caught on the alternator or the big wiring harness on the passenger side. Doable but as I said a PIA. 2) The RD radiator is slightly larger than the stock radiator where it mounts in the radiator support bracket. I had to trim the stock rubber insulators to get the radiator to fit. The passenger side insulator that goes around the drain on the stock radiator has too small of a hole in it for the RD radiator so you need to enlarge the hole and make sure the insulator slips onto the stud all the way to the base of the tank. 3) Same goes for rubber insulators in the radiator cover. The cover will be pushed slightly higher and you won't get as good of a seal where it is supposed to interlock with the shroud.

While you are in there make sure the foam seals between the condenser and the shroud are in good condition and not pushed out. Most likely they are pushed out. On both of my C5s the seals were pushed out before the cars were a year old.

Bill
Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
While you are in there make sure the foam seals between the condenser and the shroud are in good condition and not pushed out. Most likely they are pushed out. On both of my C5s the seals were pushed out before the cars were a year old.

Bill
What is the best replacement for the foam seals? new OEM part or some other DIY solution?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The foam seals probably do not need to be replaced unless they have deteriorated and are falling apart. Mine were pushed in (rather than out). I just reglued them with some high temp silicone.

Also, if you have long tube headers and are trying to installed the engine oil cooler it is a very tight fit getting the oil cooler line adapter tightened in place at the oil filter area.

Overall the job is not confusing and does not require special tools or knowledge, just time and patience.

I love my RD radiator w/ EOC. Water temps stay below 200ish, oil stays cool too.

Dog
Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

its a bugger to put on teh oil lines to the block adapter if you already have long tubes installed FYI

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Davis Radiator/Oil Cooler DIY Instructions

Quick Reply: Ron Davis Radiator/Oil Cooler DIY Instructions