Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pocono Tri-Oval Video - Last Weekend with RTR PCA

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pocono Tri-Oval Video - Last Weekend with RTR PCA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH2ioWx1S5A

This was an unexpected treat. The staff at Pocono allowed us to run the NASCAR tri-oval, pace lap, double-file start the whole nine yards.
40 cars took the green flag.

It was pretty awsesome for 20 minutes, but I can't imagine doing it for several hours. The video is from a well-driven Subie who just didn't have the HP to hang with the Vettes and GT3s but as you can see not too much else passed him.

This was at the end of the advanced only day on Friday where we ran the IMSA course (with and without chicane).

The Pocono staff radared the two C6 Zs you'll see earlier in the video at 171 mph, and personally I was routinely over 160 on the two long straights.

We ran the double infield configuration Saturday and Sunday and Pocono also let us run the tri-oval again on Saturday with students although without the double-file start.

We had a total of 10 Corvettes at the event and everyone had a great time. Over 25 folks showed up for the Taste of the Track and the AutoX track was busy all day as well. We're doing this again next year so be ready to sign up!
Jim
Old 09-20-2011, 08:11 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Great video and a great weekend Jim
Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Will watch tonight when I get home.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH2ioWx1S5A

This was an unexpected treat. The staff at Pocono allowed us to run the NASCAR tri-oval, pace lap, double-file start the whole nine yards.
40 cars took the green flag.

It was pretty awsesome for 20 minutes, but I can't imagine doing it for several hours. The video is from a well-driven Subie who just didn't have the HP to hang with the Vettes and GT3s but as you can see not too much else passed him.

This was at the end of the advanced only day on Friday where we ran the IMSA course (with and without chicane).

The Pocono staff radared the two C6 Zs you'll see earlier in the video at 171 mph, and personally I was routinely over 160 on the two long straights.

We ran the double infield configuration Saturday and Sunday and Pocono also let us run the tri-oval again on Saturday with students although without the double-file start.

We had a total of 10 Corvettes at the event and everyone had a great time. Over 25 folks showed up for the Taste of the Track and the AutoX track was busy all day as well. We're doing this again next year so be ready to sign up!
Jim

surprised speeds were not a bit higher on the tri-oval.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

very cool, but I hope the cars all had some safety upgrades? I personally wouldn't feel safe doing that one in my un-caged z06! (but I'd probably have to try it for a few laps anyway!)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow !!! That sure looks like a blast !

I can't think of anywhere else you could run flat out like that.

I thought about making the trip, but it would be a long haul. Next year, I will make sure to plan ahead. It looks like it would be worth the trip.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
surprised speeds were not a bit higher on the tri-oval.
You should come next year and show us how its done.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed
very cool, but I hope the cars all had some safety upgrades? I personally wouldn't feel safe doing that one in my un-caged z06! (but I'd probably have to try it for a few laps anyway!)

In this particular video most have racing seats and harnesses, but only a few caged cars. I know personally the thought of sliding up into the wall definitely caused me to be more cautious. Having witnessed the result of a GT3 tire failure at Daytona I was definitely not pushing the car and I know others felt the same. Still. Quite a bit of fun but not as much fun as road course.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
You should come next year and show us how its done.
Gladly if the economy lets me. I can pull 163 in my LS6 on the long course. I thought the tri-oval would be a bit faster. I hope to break 1:30 on the long course next year with the little LS6 H&C. With the economy shutting down my business I can see spending 1200 per day at the track.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Gladly if the economy lets me. I can pull 163 in my LS6 on the long course. I thought the tri-oval would be a bit faster. I hope to break 1:30 on the long course next year with the little LS6 H&C. With the economy shutting down my business I can see spending 1200 per day at the track.
long course being what, what they call the IMSA course? The infield section on the north side, tunnel turn, nascar turn 1, front straight, then back to infield? run clockwise correct? just trying to picture it.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have aero on your car? Was that indicated or gps/radar? How much hp?
I didn't hear of any corvettes getting above 150 or so when NASA was there, but I think Pete runs uses a measly 325 hp to get to his adj weight/power ratio. He only managed a 1:31.
Mike Ellis turned a 1:30 in a C6Z (excellent driver, stock engine, fancy suspension) with scrub R6s.
5th gear kills any car w/MN6 ratios and stockish power.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
long course being what, what they call the IMSA course? The infield section on the north side, tunnel turn, nascar turn 1, front straight, then back to infield? run clockwise correct? just trying to picture it.
Counterclockwise front straight by the stands, turn one down to the tunnel turn, short chute then into the infield, then out at turn 3 and down the front straight. Pictures below are at that course. 450 RWHP and 400 ft tq

Running that course with 325 HP @ 1:30 what is the weight of the car?

New C6Z my friend has runs over 175 down the back straight with slicks and stock motor he said. Lap times for him are not as good as he is not coming off the corners real hard. This is his second year and may be 8-10 event.

I ran a C4 WC car owned by Pulio with big power motor and we both had shot GY slicks and turned 1:31.XX cords were hanging out on both cars after the session. We had a blast.

Last edited by John Shiels; 10-07-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:22 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure of his weight, but he needs to be around 8.7-9 lb/hp, depending on slicks vs dot-rs and any adjustments to that ratio for being under 3200lb.
450hp definitely helps considering the amt of time at wot there.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Not sure of his weight, but he needs to be around 8.7-9 lb/hp, depending on slicks vs dot-rs and any adjustments to that ratio for being under 3200lb.
so then 325 x 8.7 is 2827 or 325 x 9 is 2925 lb. if he got 1:31 in a vette with that weight and hp I would be amazed on the course I am talking about.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
my friend has a data logger I should ask him to post his wot if he can.

Get notified of new replies

To Pocono Tri-Oval Video - Last Weekend with RTR PCA

Quick Reply: Pocono Tri-Oval Video - Last Weekend with RTR PCA