Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The GLEN w/ NASA this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The GLEN w/ NASA this weekend

Who's going?
Are you racing?
What happen to the Canadian gang? Usually they have a thread started.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I will be there on Saturday and Sunday to instruct. Had planned on doing Friday but that is difficult without a car. Hopefully, the engine will be installed by Friday afternoon but even so I am not going to take a brand new engine on the track.

Bill
Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I will be there.

I couldn't think of a better place for a brand new engine (assuming the tune is good).
Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bring extra brakes!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am coming out there from Rhode Island on Sunday, running in the white group, and hoping to get one of you awesome instructors to show me around the track!
--- Bill
Old 09-28-2011, 10:50 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by RIRaven
I am coming out there from Rhode Island on Sunday, running in the white group, and hoping to get one of you awesome instructors to show me around the track!
--- Bill
Generally you will be provided with an instructor in White group for your first session in the morning.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I will be there on Saturday and Sunday to instruct. Had planned on doing Friday but that is difficult without a car. Hopefully, the engine will be installed by Friday afternoon but even so I am not going to take a brand new engine on the track.

Bill
Who will I have to chase around the track? Best way to break in a motor is drive it the way you plan to use it. Plus GM does the break in on the LS7's before they leave the plant.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
Bring extra brakes!!!
The Glen is a fast track. You don't need brakes, they just slow you down
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I will be there.
Is there a 2.0x.xx on the horizon?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

sorry I had to bail on this one, this week turned out to be a real killer
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by geerookie
Who will I have to chase around the track? Best way to break in a motor is drive it the way you plan to use it. Plus GM does the break in on the LS7's before they leave the plant.
I talked to the Service Writer today. All the parts are in and the mechanic gets back from training tomorrow morning and they will start removing the engine then. He figures it will take 3 days at a minimum to finish the job. That means I won't have it for the weekend.

After a month without the car I am having withdrawal pains.

I have been feeding the addiction by getting rides in Zs and some other hot cars. Over the last weekend I got a ride with one of the other instructors in his Z. We got about a half really fast lap and then he spun into the run off area at T1.

Then I got a ride in a really neat 944 that has an LS1 engine. The car is set up so the rear moves around like an old 911 and the driver knew how to drive it (I know I don't like the back end moving around like that when I am driving so could appreciate how he worked the car). That car was hot, hot, hot. Engine weighed 40 lbs more than the original 4 cylinder turbo with over 100 more HP and a lot more torque. Total car weight was 2600 lbs. Owner said the setup could easily be duplicated for about $15K. $5K for a race prepped 944 with a bad engine and $10K to make the conversion. I don't run far up on the rumble strips in the bus stop since I don't like hammering the suspension that way but he was running all the way up where the Nextel Cup guys were running. You know the line where the right side wheels are left of the concrete and the left side wheels are almost hanging off the upper portion of the strip? He has the 944 competition coil over suspension on the car and it just took those bumps with little drama. I have to say that is a fast trip through the bus stop. He is doing about 100 on entry and comes out about 90. What a blast.

Bill
Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Originally Posted by geerookie
Is there a 2.0x.xx on the horizon?
Not a clue. I have never run there with Rs. Hopefully it will be dry. I was a touch over 2sec slower than PJ at Pocono, so probably PJ's time +3-4sec is a realistic goal. But maybe they were having teething issues. I think aero at WGI would really help with the fast sweepers. Who knows. I am bringing rains and a good set of As.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:01 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to run this event next year... I'm racing at Nashville SS this weekend since its close to home and possibly the last one there for awhile or ever. I would love to race the Glen for sure!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

For those of you going be sure to bring the long johns and rain gear. It will be a little snippy there this weekend. Here is the Intellicast Forecast for the Glen:

Bill
Old 09-29-2011, 01:59 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Bill,

Last I knew, the only "maintenance" on your agenda was changing to those Hoosier (Contiinental) slicks. Obviously, there is a big void in my knowledge here - WWWWWhaaaaat happened to Mr. Motor? Dramatic, or did it just go away peacefully?

Ed
Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Hi Bill,

Last I knew, the only "maintenance" on your agenda was changing to those Hoosier (Contiinental) slicks. Obviously, there is a big void in my knowledge here - WWWWWhaaaaat happened to Mr. Motor? Dramatic, or did it just go away peacefully?

Ed
It didn't make any noise but did make a lot of smoke. Best way to describe what happened is to show some pictures. These are from Number 1 Cylinder and the damage isn't repairable so I am getting a new engine.

Also getting new left side cats and a new intake as they think it may have been damaged internally when the exhaust valve blew into it.

They have all the parts but haven't started working on the car yet. They were supposed to start on Wed, then Thur, then today and now maybe Mon. This happened on Aug 30th and I got the car to the dealer on the 31st. Then we had Labor Day, then we had the record flood and the roads were closed and the dealership was closed for a couple of days, then the mechanic was cleaning out his flooded house, then they were dealing with flood damaged cars that were recoverable, etc, etc, etc.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-30-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, Bill - kaboom!

Actually, the internals look a lot like our L98 that I blew up at the Glen a few years ago. Sounds like the same "symptoms" - I came out of The 90 with no power - mostly silence. I thought I had simply lost ignition and drive, and tried a couple of different gears. As I am coasting along toward the esses, the cockpit, and the track, are filling with WHITE smoke.

In fact, I think you were either the first or the second one through to sample the oil I had dropped - a fun ride going into 4th gear!

I am very sorry to see that, and to hear about the delays (both real and BS) while you are trying to wrap up a season. If it must, why doesn't stuff like this happen at the LAST event of the year?

Good luck with the fix.

[With apologies to GeeRokie for a temporary hijack.]
Ed

Get notified of new replies

To The GLEN w/ NASA this weekend

Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Wow, Bill - kaboom!

Actually, the internals look a lot like our L98 that I blew up at the Glen a few years ago. Sounds like the same "symptoms" - I came out of The 90 with no power - mostly silence. I thought I had simply lost ignition and drive, and tried a couple of different gears. As I am coasting along toward the esses, the cockpit, and the track, are filling with WHITE smoke.

In fact, I think you were either the first or the second one through to sample the oil I had dropped - a fun ride going into 4th gear!

I am very sorry to see that, and to hear about the delays (both real and BS) while you are trying to wrap up a season. If it must, why doesn't stuff like this happen at the LAST event of the year?

Good luck with the fix.

[With apologies to GeeRokie for a temporary hijack.]
Ed
I almost forgot to mention the cylinder liner was cracked in two places which probably explains all of the white smoke and coolant coming out of the exhaust pipes.

Bill
Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Got about 1 clean lap in - 2:09.65.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did the Glen earlier this month. 2nd time there. It rained first day and that sucked with Nitto R2s. 2nd day it was dry. Have some old Hoosier Rs. Ran a couple of 2.11s then a 2.09 chasing a GT3. Should have been lower but we both had to pass on the inside going into T1. That track is a lot of fun. It's my new favorite after VIR and worth the 10 hour drive up.

Hope you guys some dry time. Have fun.

Quick Reply: The GLEN w/ NASA this weekend