Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on race seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Questions on race seats UPDATED!

See post 9.

I am replacing my 2003 Coupe Sport seats and installing...
Corbeau FX1 Pros
Corbeau dual locking sliders
Brey-Krause harness bar
G-force Cam lock 6-point harnesses

I have read hundreds of threads and only found partial answers to my questions So, I'll ask the forum directly.

Does the airbag still work with the SCM removed?

For those who have installed FX1 Pro's in a Coupe on the Corbeau sliders....Do you fit in the car with a helmet? Are you 6' tall or less?

What electrical issues (if any) did you see after removing the seat modules?

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited by Bluefire; 10-05-2011 at 03:38 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you need sliders? with a fixed seat bracket you can sit lower to the floor.

an no the air bag does not work.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the FX1 with slider and am 5'11" and barely fit with helmet on. For passenger side, I had forum member make me some rails so I could get seat lower. My son who rides with me sometimes, is 6'3" and 250 lbs. I switch mine out between track days. Are you looking a leaving them in permanently? I wouldn't think they would be than comfortable for dd.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I have FX1 Pro's on Corbeau sliders. I'm 6' and with the bottom seat cushion in my helmet hits the roof, just barely. I remove the cushion when on track and gain about 2". It works but the downside is a tender **** after 30 min of thrashing the car. I just procured a hardbar seat mount to solve this issue.

Mine is a 99 and I have no electrical issues. Not sure if you have the same electronics though. I know the older C5s have a simpler AH system so other electronics may also be missing compared to the later cars.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

On a C5? I don't have an Airbag light on the dash when I have my Cobra Suzuka seat in the car so I assumed that the airbag would still function. (My car is an '01 if that makes a difference.)
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Normally, if you take out all of the boxes for the seats! The air bags do not work, because the car does not sense and signal from them. Don't know for sure, but that is what the GM guys say. JD
Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

All you have to do is pull the electronics from the stock seats and leave them under the new seat. The C5, unlike the C6, does not have sensors in the seats to sense if there are any passengers sitting in them.

BTW, thanks for the order of the seats
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Need? Sort of. I'm just starting to track this and I still require an instructor (fyi, he's 4" shorter than I ).

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have the FX1 with slider and am 5'11" and barely fit with helmet on. For passenger side, I had forum member make me some rails so I could get seat lower. My son who rides with me sometimes, is 6'3" and 250 lbs. I switch mine out between track days. Are you looking a leaving them in permanently? I wouldn't think they would be than comfortable for dd.
Yes, Actually, it is my DD.

Originally Posted by argonaut
I have FX1 Pro's on Corbeau sliders. I'm 6' and with the bottom seat cushion in my helmet hits the roof, just barely. I remove the cushion when on track and gain about 2". It works but the downside is a tender **** after 30 min of thrashing the car. I just procured a hardbar seat mount to solve this issue.

Mine is a 99 and I have no electrical issues. Not sure if you have the same electronics though. I know the older C5s have a simpler AH system so other electronics may also be missing compared to the later cars.
If the fit is close, I plan on having the seat cushion shaved 1" then add 1/4" of silicon sponge pad under the cushion... then hope.

Originally Posted by TPSMak
All you have to do is pull the electronics from the stock seats and leave them under the new seat. The C5, unlike the C6, does not have sensors in the seats to sense if there are any passengers sitting in them.

BTW, thanks for the order of the seats
You're welcome. I'll look into the electroincs swap

Fed-Ex just arrived

Still waiting on the harness bar and the harnesses. Jeg's screwed me. Website said "in-stock" when I placed my order. Next day I get an email stating a 10/21 drop ship day.

Thank you all for the feedback.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:34 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Default I installed them today

I made the swap from the Sport seats to the FX1 Pros today using the dual-locking sliders. I also added the BK Harness bar. The harnesses won't be here for three more weeks.

It was a straight forward install. No surprises. All bolt-ons. Here are my observations:

Fit: Corbeau is not kidding about the maximum waist size of 36" . I am a 35/36 (5'11",175 lbs.) and the seat is quite snug along my ribs, waist, and thighs. The seat cushions are well made but, my butt rates them a 5 for comfort. I will likely replace the inner material. See below.

Head clearance: With no helmet on I have ~1" of clearance to the headliner. With a helmet on, it touches headliner, but just barely. To address this I want experiment with replacing the seat cushion foam with differering layers of thinner stacked closed cell silicon sponge and silicon gel. I will build this up to something approximately 3/4" less in thickness than the original foam. I gotta try. It's a DD.

Loss of electrical functionality: Easy Entry; You must transfer both SCM (Seat Control modules) and their harness to the new seats to retain the Easy Entry functions. Functions like steering wheel move, mirror adj., environmental settings, etc. will all still work. The only function that is lost is seat move, obviously.

The only "open-ended" question I still have is whether the Driver airbag work if the factory seat belt is not connected? If it does not, I can easily add a SPST switch to the seat frame to mimic the seat belt being buckled. This will make it easy when I get in. Just flip the switch and the SCM thinks I'm buckled in. FYI, the stock seat belts did remain in the car along with the added provisions for the 6-point harnesses.

That's all I have for now. I'll post pics when the harnesses show up.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on race seats

Quick Reply: Questions on race seats