Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Coil Overs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Coil Overs

I have been reading tons of threads on coil over packages and am curious what everyone's thoughts are on the best one. I almost jumped on the Pfadt Johnny O'Connell package two weeks ago, but I am not sure I want to take that step inbetween going to coil overs.

So what are the pros/cons and has anyone been running them for over 20K miles ? Any issues.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 AM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Would not let me setup a poll, but I was going to poll between the pfadt single and double adjustables, and the G2, GT2 offerings from LG
Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueBlueCoupe
Would not let me setup a poll, but I was going to poll between the pfadt single and double adjustables, and the G2, GT2 offerings from LG
Proper application depends on your intended usage. The LG GT2's are adjustable and may be a better choice for off-track and on-track use. My C6Z6 is driven almost exclusively on-track so I went with the LG G2's and the G1 (T1) sways. The G2's are not adjustable but if the car is properly balanced & corner-weighted you should not have to change the settings anyway. The G2's have better components - Bilstein shocks and Hypercoil springs (the DRM CO's use the same components). If you are mostly light-track duty/road, you should consider DRM spec Bilsteins and adjustable sways and save your money. I have heard mixed results on the Pfadt CO's - mostly due to noise, limited adjustabitly, and endurability.

Last edited by Corvee; 10-03-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:32 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Right now the usage will be mostly light duty track/more road use. I put adjustables on my 98 WS6 which I tracked and drove to work every day, and liked the ability to have a setting for track and for every day driving.

Originally Posted by Corvee
Proper application depends on your intended usage. The LG GT2's are adjustable and may be a better choice for off-track and on-track use. My C6Z is driven almost exclusively on-track so I went with the LG G2's and the G1 (T1) sways. The G2's are not adjustable but if the car is properly balanced & corner-weighted you should not have to change the settings anyway. The G2's have better components - Bilstein shocks and Hypercoil springs (the DRM CO's use the same components). If you are mostly light-track duty/road, you should consider DRM spec Bilsteins and adjustable sways and save your money. I have heard mixed results on the Pfadt CO's - mostly due to noise, limited adjustabitly, and endurability.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:39 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best coil overs are the ones that work for you. All the vendors have taken slightly different approaches to spring rates and shock valving so, IMO, it's more about finding which setup fits your particular driving style. I have DRMs and I'm happy with them. As mentioned above, DRM uses the same vendors as LGM for the coil overs but that's where the similarity ends -- they use different model shocks, different valving, and way different spring rates.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

What is your current set-up not doing? A set of fresh 04Z shocks are a lot cheaper and big improvement over 10yr old shocks.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:52 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

I have the Z51 package, only 18K on the car, so it is not worn out. My brother put the Z06 shocks on his and we compared the two at VIR and I did not notice much difference between the C5Z and Z51 setup.

While reading posts several people say the coil overs are better on the street and track. On the street I would like a little better ride, at the track I was hoping for the car to get settled going into the corners sooner.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:12 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Make sure you can get to the compression adjusters so you can turn it down for the street.

With my QA1's I need to get under the car

With the compression adjusters on the Penske's remote cans it's a lot easier.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Penske
Old 10-03-2011, 08:01 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Penske
Old 10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
TRIPLE Penske
Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

BTW a nice thing about the Penskes is that you can rebuild them yourself.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much you willing to spend is the question. You can buy a set from $1500 all the way to $6000. Give a price range and maybe we can better guide you.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

I am thinking between $1500-$2000, right now the 3k-6k ones are out of range.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I am thinking between $1500-$2000, right now the 3k-6k ones are out of range.
Great this helps. At this budget any Penske or Moton are out of the question. At that price range your best bet is the LG option.

You need to decide if you want to pay the extra $ for the Bilstein version. The adjustable version with the sway bars is a nice package. I would choose it over the O'Connel option as that doesn't give you an improved spring rate. I would not personally pay for a suspension that doesn't provide an improved spring rate.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/GT2-Coi...aybars-Package
Old 10-04-2011, 09:29 AM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
BTW a nice thing about the Penskes is that you can rebuild them yourself.
OK another question to throw in the mix. How often do the different brands need to be rebuilt? This obviously is a cost adder in some cases, not to mention a PITA to pull all four corners every so often.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Not to sound cute, but it's all 'use & abuse', kind of like asking how long between engine rebuilds.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Coil Overs

Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK another question to throw in the mix. How often do the different brands need to be rebuilt? This obviously is a cost adder in some cases, not to mention a PITA to pull all four corners every so often.
The Bilsteins can also be rebuilt. Not sure if it is a "do it yourself" project but can be done by sevice techs. or you can send back to Bilstein. Not sure how long but suspect they should last awhile for DE use. They usually begin leaking if you have a seal failure.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I would only rebuild when I see oil leaking. That is what I do on my motocross bike. That usually means the seals are shot, so I just rebuild them at that point. My LG's have been on the car for about 3-4 years and 6 track days per year and are working great.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing to keep in mind when looking at coilovers for the Corvette is the fact that it's difficult to properly package a quality coilover setup within the space available. We have gone to great pains to engineer a mounting solution that's not only durable and low friction, but still allows for plenty of shock travel. Our new FeatherLight Generation single adjustable coilovers sound like they're what you're looking for.

With our FeatherLight Generation Singles you not only get a superior upper mounting system with our BOA mount, but you also gain the benefit of increased gas volume for more reliable operation with our CIRC system. The FeatherLight Generation Singles can be rebuilt if sent back to us at Pfadt Racing, but even after a million continuous cycles on our custom built durability tester our coilovers have shown no change in damping. This means you can rest assured you're running on the most consistent single adjustable coilover available on the market, but if there should be an issue down the road it can be easily addressed by the experts who know these dampers inside and out. If you're running a truly unique setup custom spring rates are also available for both our Single and Double Adjustable coilovers, along with the experience to help our customers pick a spring rate that's right for them.

We are extremely happy with how the FeatherLight Generation Singles have turned out, and over the next few months expect to hear glowing feedback on how our customers cars are performing on track. If you have any questions please feel free to PM, shoot us an email, or call us at 1-888-972-2464 and we will be more than happy to explain why our coilovers are the best on the Corvette market.

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 10-04-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Coil Overs