Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires and Suspension

Old 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tires and Suspension

I'm pretty new to the track thing having done one HPDE weekend (and getting bumped from green to blue after one weekend) and a few solo track days on my own.

Now, before anyone answers my following question with "more seat time" I am in complete agreement with that answer having experienced how much more difficult this is to do that one might think. Seat time I can get and will and will try to get it as much as I can with an instructor in the next seat.

With all that being said, when does one know it's time to go to R compound tires and then to coil overs and sways?

Right now the car is a stock C5 Z06 with completely stock LS6, stock suspension and street tires. The car has been gutted and caged, fire system, roll over detectors, racing seats and harness. I've got all the safety stuff in place so my next mods are suspension and then body/wing kits for better handling.

Jay

Last edited by crease-guard; 10-02-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:58 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my opinion but one of the biggest mistakes people just starting out make is going to R comps before they fully maximize the performance of the car on street tires. As an instructor I advise my students to be patient and learn to drive the car before making changes. R comps can mask poor driving habits and lead to a false sense of security and delusions of grandeur. . Not to mention they raise the speed at which bad things happen. Better to have these experiences on street tires which signal their intentions early and at lower speeds. Not talking down or being condescending, but would encourage you to wait and seek feedback from your instructors on your readiness to make changes to tires and suspension.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

What you really need is a clutch activated blower.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason
What you really need is a clutch activated blower.
You mean like a leaf blower? Not a bad idea considering I spun out the other day and piled 34 pounds of dust into my car. Took me 30 minutes to blow it out with the air compressor...a leaf blower would have been a lot quicker.

Jay
Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
Just my opinion but one of the biggest mistakes people just starting out make is going to R comps before they fully maximize the performance of the car on street tires. As an instructor I advise my students to be patient and learn to drive the car before making changes. R comps can mask poor driving habits and lead to a false sense of security and delusions of grandeur. . Not to mention they raise the speed at which bad things happen. Better to have these experiences on street tires which signal their intentions early and at lower speeds. Not talking down or being condescending, but would encourage you to wait and seek feedback from your instructors on your readiness to make changes to tires and suspension.
That's exactly why I asked the question as to when it was time to move. I have no intentions of moving to R compounds or suspension mods anytime soon but do expect to be able to move at some point. I'm looking at picking up any suspension/body mods as they show up for sale at a better price than new but NOT looking to put them on just yet.

Jay
Old 10-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Find a local race shop, I suggest LG, and talk with Anthony. You can go as fast or as slow as you like. I recommend some suspension moves first so you can learn what changes do. You could also get some coaching from LG.

Jim
Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

I do not think there is a set time its up to how your skills develop .... I now instruct but ran on GY supercars / Firestone Fire Hawk then NT 01 for like 18 months before I felt I was ready to go faster and now use scrub Hoosier R6. You will be surprised how fast you can be on good streets.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 PM
joenationwide
Racer

All you need is Motul 600 brake fluid, Hawk HT-10s (or similar race pads), and some Hankook RS3. Don't bother upgrading until you are the fastest car in the Advanced group.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by joenationwide
All you need is Motul 600 brake fluid, Hawk HT-10s (or similar race pads), and some Hankook RS3. Don't bother upgrading until you are the fastest car in the Advanced group.
That's the kind of advice I was looking for...some sort of goal to shoot for before upgrading.

I've got the Motul 600 and the car has Brembos on it. Not sure which pads the car has...some sort of hybrid street/track pad I was told. Still has lots of pad left, they look new so I'm sticking with those until they need changing. Tires are the cheapest I could find, older Falken Azenis RT-615s.

Thanks for the input.

Jay
Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by Painrace
Find a local race shop, I suggest LG, and talk with Anthony. You can go as fast or as slow as you like. I recommend some suspension moves first so you can learn what changes do. You could also get some coaching from LG.

Jim
So you would suggest suspension, i.e. sways and/or coils BEFORE tires?

What order would you recommend?

There is a couple guys out at the track I'm a member of that give lessons, I might just do that. Great idea.

Jay
Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by joenationwide
buddy of mine runs the rS3 that is one fast tire (running it on a miata)
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Right now I'm running forgeline 18x9.5 up front and 18x10.5 in the rear and running 275s in the front and 315s in the rear. But I was thinking of getting a second set of rims and running a completely square setup with either 275 or 285 at all 4 corners.

Recommendations on that type of setup?

Jay
Old 10-02-2011, 10:22 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by crease-guard
Right now I'm running forgeline 18x9.5 up front and 18x10.5 in the rear and running 275s in the front and 315s in the rear. But I was thinking of getting a second set of rims and running a completely square setup with either 275 or 285 at all 4 corners.

Recommendations on that type of setup?

Jay
I run 295 35 18 on all 4 corners using z06 rear rims. Or variations close to those sizes .. Square setup works great for me as I have endless rotations and can get the most out of the tires. Thanks to Craigs list I have a guy who will rotate on rim for about 10/12 bucks a tire.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Move to an intermediate tire with a treadware rating of around 100 before jumping to a "R compound" DOT radial.
Nitto 555R2
Nitto NT01
Toyo RA1
etc..
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

crease-guard, consider suspension mods (coil overs) after a season or two.

If you get hooked, it will be expensive just to maintain what you have and to participate in events (include lodging for different tracks).

Check out the Nitto brand, they may have NT05 (or better street tire) in your size.

Getting the brakes dialed in was a smart move . Once you start seeing yourself as a track ***** you'll have a harness and other safety gear. Also think about getting a killer race car driving seat at some point.

The C5 Z is a very capable car, such a kick *** ride

A cheap but extremely valuable expense (an investment, really) is Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley
Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
So you would suggest suspension, i.e. sways and/or coils BEFORE tires?

What order would you recommend?

There is a couple guys out at the track I'm a member of that give lessons, I might just do that. Great idea.

Jay
Definitely take the lessons.

After that, I would recommend doing suspension AND tires as a package. Their is no need to stiffen up your suspension if you are going to be using street tires, they won't generate enough grip to generate enough body roll to need the suspension....in my opinion.

Either get one of the local racers in your area to advise you on the package or go to LG since you are in the DFW area.

Matt

Last edited by MJM; 10-03-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
crease-guard, consider suspension mods (coil overs) after a season or two.

If you get hooked, it will be expensive just to maintain what you have and to participate in events (include lodging for different tracks).

Check out the Nitto brand, they may have NT05 (or better street tire) in your size.

Getting the brakes dialed in was a smart move . Once you start seeing yourself as a track ***** you'll have a harness and other safety gear. Also think about getting a killer race car driving seat at some point.

The C5 Z is a very capable car, such a kick *** ride

A cheap but extremely valuable expense (an investment, really) is Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley
The car is a dedicated track car and will never see the street again. The cats and mufflers are gone and it's straight pipes all the way to the back. It's got a full cage, race seats, harness, fire system, trans and diff coolers...the whole 9 yards. Only thing left to do is aero kit and suspension.

The only other big expense I will have is a trailer to go to other tracks. I'm already waiting till '12 to sign up for other tracks using the HPDE group I'm with now.

All I do now is rat hole money aside knowing I will have to buy tires and what not. I've already stocked the garage with half dozen oil filters, 2 cases of Amsoil and 2 case of motul plus all the goodies and a lift. I'm already a track *****...I'm just not very good

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Tires and Suspension

Old 10-03-2011, 01:22 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I run 295 35 18 on all 4 corners using z06 rear rims. Or variations close to those sizes .. Square setup works great for me as I have endless rotations and can get the most out of the tires. Thanks to Craigs list I have a guy who will rotate on rim for about 10/12 bucks a tire.
What tires are you running or were running in the street variety?

Jay
Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

To run a square set-up (same size tires all around) I'm pretty sure you will have to turn off your AH/TC.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

A new set of slicks makes me feel like Superman. Just get a set of Hoosiers and have fun. They make up for stupid driving. Trust me on that one.

Richard Newton
Facebook

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires and Suspension