Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 spring rates - going HIGHER on front?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:52 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

My current setup is C5Z springs, DRM Bilstiens and C6Z bars. Would I gain anything by going with a slightly stiffer front spring only, like a VBP Sport front spring? I do feel the car understeers at times but its very predictable and controllable. I run in a dot street tire class so Im on Toyo R888's.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:03 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
My current setup is C5Z springs, DRM Bilstiens and C6Z bars. Would I gain anything by going with a slightly stiffer front spring only, like a VBP Sport front spring? I do feel the car understeers at times but its very predictable and controllable. I run in a dot street tire class so Im on Toyo R888's.
What tire widths are you on? I'd expect that setup to oversteer unless you have some pretty wide rear tires with the c6z bars.

If it were me, I'd probably leave it as slight understeer is safer on a road course, but if you're auto-xing then I'd go to a softer front bar like a C5z.

I'd also get the car on scales if you haven't done that lately, you could be chasing a simple cross weight problem.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LateBreak
What tire widths are you on? I'd expect that setup to oversteer unless you have some pretty wide rear tires with the c6z bars.

If it were me, I'd probably leave it as slight understeer is safer on a road course, but if you're auto-xing then I'd go to a softer front bar like a C5z.

I'd also get the car on scales if you haven't done that lately, you could be chasing a simple cross weight problem.
295/30r18 up front and 315/30 r18 in the rear. The scales is a good idea. Been wanting to do that.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBreak

What? Your front bar is a big part of what determines how you put power down. Don't go smaller. Yes, a higher rate front spring can be beneficial but it won't help your understeer- it will move the balance further towards understeer steady-state. If it makes the car faster though, who cares? It's all about getting on the throttle earlier and harder.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:31 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Run a square set up before switching out springs. The staggered setup is suppose to balance towards understeer.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Thanks the advice guys. I'll will look into each of those points.

Quick Reply: C5 spring rates - going HIGHER on front?