Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for roll on paint protection for track days

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Madshadow
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thatonedude1
Just ordered a quart and will try this out for my next track weekend @ Homestead 3/10,11. I'll provide feedback

Here is his review:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...view-long.html
Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I use a product called collision wrap. It is a 3 mil plastic with an adhesive on the back. It works great. Just roll onto the car from the roll, smooth it out like you would a clear bra, take a razor blade and cut out the door openings, use some green painters tape to keep the edges from catching the air and you are ready to go. 100 ft x 18 in roll costs about $50 depending on where you get it and doing 20 track days a year it lasts the year. It is easy to put on and take off. Take off is even easier if you strip it just after your last session of the event when the car is hot. It is also a lot tougher than the stuff you roll on like paint.

http://www.awdirect.com/collision-wr...ecialty-tools/

Bill
Bill - how difficult is it to smooth out the collision wrap? Does it take 15 - 20 minutes to apply or more like an hour? I bought a road wrap a couple of years back and it was impossible to smooth out. It folded over on itself a 1,000 times. Looked awful.

I just bought the Road Warrior paint protection and will give it a try @ Lime Rock next month. I like the idea that I can apply a couple of coats one time and leave on for a while. Cost effective and low maintenance - just how I like women.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Quite a few guys in Open Road Racing with high-end cars (like Porsche GT3's and such) run Latex Masking...

They roll it on 1/8" thick and it seems to deflect everything. Take it to the car wash after the event and pressure wash it right off.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Bill - how difficult is it to smooth out the collision wrap? Does it take 15 - 20 minutes to apply or more like an hour? I bought a road wrap a couple of years back and it was impossible to smooth out. It folded over on itself a 1,000 times. Looked awful.

I just bought the Road Warrior paint protection and will give it a try @ Lime Rock next month. I like the idea that I can apply a couple of coats one time and leave on for a while. Cost effective and low maintenance - just how I like women.
Just the hints again. Have the area waxed. Apply in the sun if you can so it self cures. Apply where you now have your masking tape, plus half the hood or so, RV mirrors, and the headlights. Rocker panels other areas optional, and try not to get it wet and drive in rain.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 PM
sampson104
Intermediate

I have small rolls of 12", 24" and 48" .006" paint protection films with adhesive for you do it yourself guys. If you want to hand cut and apply let me know what width and how many feet your looking for.

Looking for ~ $4.00 sq ft + shipping
Old 03-28-2012, 02:08 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by thatonedude1
Just the hints again. Have the area waxed. Apply in the sun if you can so it self cures. Apply where you now have your masking tape, plus half the hood or so, RV mirrors, and the headlights. Rocker panels other areas optional, and try not to get it wet and drive in rain.
Are you referring to the road warrior?

My comments were about some road wrap not road warrior. No need to let this road wrap cure.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Madshadow
You could put it on headlights - wouldn't hurt anything. It would likely dim their output though. I try not to go overboard with it, as it get's more difficult to remove it all. However, if you are removing it with a pressure washer of some sort that is not an issue.

Also, it doesn't adhere well to chrome and glass if driven in the rain.

Mark
At an NCM VIR event several years ago, I had a GM engineer tell me not to put anything on the headlight covers - that covering them with even a thin film could cause them to crack if the headlights came on.
Jim
Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlutherva
At an NCM VIR event several years ago, I had a GM engineer tell me not to put anything on the headlight covers - that covering them with even a thin film could cause them to crack if the headlights came on.
Jim
The headlights would crack for what reason? Overheating?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 AM
sampson104
Intermediate

Default Paint protection film

Originally Posted by jstout
Anyone have a source for roll on temporary paint protection for track day use. Thanks. Jerry
12", 24" & 48" widths of you are still in need of some do it yourself film, 6mil with adhesive.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:08 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
The headlights would crack for what reason? Overheating?
Yes, that's what the GM engineer said.
Jim
Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
A buddy of mine uses Road Warrior when he tracks his Viper. Seems to do the trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUjqzqwWVSs
I finally had a chance to use Road Warrior this weekend for two days on track with mixed sun and rain and it worked as advertised. Applied two coats and used a heat gun to dry it. It drys clear and only visible if you are looking for it. Very nice option for long trips or track days.

One tip, washed it off tonight with no problem but I have an exposed aggregate drive. Some of the stuff like to stick became a bit of a mess to clean up. Next time I'll take it to the local pressure wash car wash.

I clayed and waxed the car tonight and noticed the areas where I used RW were really clean so I don't know if if it also helps pull dirt out of the paint.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:56 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Extreme speed also markets this product for those on the east coast. They are located in Cleveland TN where I live. 423 339 2901. I have used it recently on my car at Roebling with Nasa. works great and amazing to peel all the rubber and grime off the car. Wish I could use it on windshield! Jerry
Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Found this thread while researching something else so thought I would add my comments. My son and I put road warrior on his new Toyota Corolla before we drove out of Alaska. Two coats and cured it with a hair dryer then the car sat in a heated garage all night.
7 days later we tried to remove it and it was a mess. Would only come off in little pieces and we had to use our fingernails to pick it off. Claying didn't help. There were even a few places underneath that developed pitting.
I threw what we had remaining in the garbage and would never use it again.
Perhaps it doesn't do well in temperatures below freezing.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Madshadow
Cruising

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Found this thread while researching something else so thought I would add my comments. My son and I put road warrior on his new Toyota Corolla before we drove out of Alaska. Two coats and cured it with a hair dryer then the car sat in a heated garage all night.
7 days later we tried to remove it and it was a mess. Would only come off in little pieces and we had to use our fingernails to pick it off. Claying didn't help. There were even a few places underneath that developed pitting.
I threw what we had remaining in the garbage and would never use it again.
Perhaps it doesn't do well in temperatures below freezing.
Snowwolfe,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with RWP.

The only times I've had to pick it off in pieces is when it's been applied too thin. In that case, a pressure washer takes it off easily enough.

It sounds like you applied it correctly, so I don't have a good answer for you.

With regards to the pitting... I am a custom painter (Airbrush artist - cars, motorcycles). I was very leery of this product before endorsing, and selling it. I did dozens of test applications. I have put it on all my vehicles, and routinely apply it to brand new clear coated vehicles leaving my shop. I have applied it to my Ultra Classic Harley hundreds of times doing demos at car shows, etc. I have left it on a daily driver for 6 months through a Montana winter (-20) without problems - even taking it through a brushless car wash monthly. I have never seen it cause ANY damage to a painted surface... I have sold just over 1000 quarts of RWP and have never had a customer tell me their paint was damaged by RWP. The original formula for this product was taken directly from the automotive mfg industry where they apply it to brand new painted cars coming out of paint on the assy line. It is also used in the aerospace industry for the same purpose.

I'm not saying this didn't happen to you, just that I question the RWP caused it. Too many variables to speculate about. I would love to discuss it with you more to try and determine what may have been at fault. Feel free to email me - mark@madshadowcustompaint.com.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Thanks, but what would we discuss? I am not looking for reimbursement of any type from anyone. The pitting is not severe, but it was found directly under pieces of the coating that were still stuck to the paint. It could not of been caused by anything else than the Road Warrior. Car was only two or three months old before we applied it and all the areas were well clayed and waxed prior to applying it.

Wished it would of worked, but it didn't. Next time we need temporary protection on a vehicle it will be some type of vinyl or painters tape.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:23 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE=Madshadow;1579086278]Hello,

My name is Mark Chase. I am the owner and artist at Madshadow Custom Paint and this is my YouTube video you have pointed to. I saw a sudden flood of hits to the video coming from here, so I had to check it out.

Road Warrior Plus is the product in question, and it will indeed protect you from damage at the track. I have sold many quarts to Vette owners for just this purpose. Two coats of RWP will give you about an 8 mil film thickness dried. We did ASTM gravelometer testing and started to see failures with 3/8" gravel at 65 mph (two coats applied).

My best friend developed and is marketing this product. It has taken off pretty good in Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and Australia. The US is a bit slow coming on board, but I suspect you will eventually see it in major auto parts stores, etc. He has given me all quart sales, as I helped him with spray samples, etc. during the development period.

Road Warrior Plus is available at www.madshadowcustompaint.com/rwp

My intent was not to make a sales pitch here, I just wanted to point out that in our experience RWP outperforms any temporary films in terms of cost per use, level of protection and ease of application. We have had nothing but positive feedback from customers and have had numerous repeat purchases.

I'm glad to see it being recommended here!

Thanks,
Mark
http://www.madshadowcustompaint.com

A ProMod glass body I painted for a friend of mine:
[/QUOTE

Mark

I have EXPEL Ultimate on the whole front end of my 09 Z06, could I still use this product on the car?
Old 02-01-2015, 12:02 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I used a similar product, I think a guy from Alabama made, many years ago like 2007 or so. Worked like a charm, boogers came right off with the covering. It did take a beating while trailering through the rain one time.

For me, I'll take an occasional couple of hours picking little pieces off, which does happen occasionally in thin spots vs having to repaint.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for roll on paint protection for track days

Old 02-02-2015, 11:41 AM
jstout
Drifting

This is Jerry Stout, and my business partner and I purchased Road Warrior Plus last year as the original owner and inventor unfortunately died from cancer. I initially used this product to protect my time trials C6Z06 and was blown away by the product. Like many of you, I had been spending hours taping my car up to keep it fresh looking despite the grime, sand, tar, rubber, and rocks that get thrown on the car at the track. I also used it on my Coach for long pulls to the track.It worked wonderfully, and as long as I followed the directions, I had no trouble getting it off. However, I heard recently of one individual who left it on for an extended period of time (as in over a year) and did have to pressure wash it off. Clearly it is a temporary paint protection product, not meant to be left on indefinitely.

I used it many times to cover and protect the headlight covers on the c6Z, and never had a problem, and used the lights as daytime running lights, and also at night. No cracking whatsoever.

Rain resistance is definitely related to how the product cures between coats and after second coat. That said, it is a water soluble product so a prolonged heavy rainstorm will probably take a good bit of it off.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. You can continue to order from Mark and MadShadow, . Please note, We bought the company after using the product for a couple of years, not the other way around.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I used a similar product, I think a guy from Alabama made, many years ago like 2007 or so. Worked like a charm, boogers came right off with the covering. It did take a beating while trailering through the rain one time.

For me, I'll take an occasional couple of hours picking little pieces off, which does happen occasionally in thin spots vs having to repaint.

Last edited by jstout; 02-02-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

It's been a few years. How has this stuff worked out?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:47 AM
jstout
Drifting

Still using it personally, and still selling it. It is a great product. We also found a chemical that makes removal easy if for some reason any of the pre installation instructions couldn't be followed. Strongly recommend to protect paint. Jerry

Originally Posted by ElCid79
It's been a few years. How has this stuff worked out?

Quick Reply: Looking for roll on paint protection for track days