Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use Ferodo brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Anyone use Ferodo brake fluid?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...8/Brake_Fluid2

This is for autox & DE, not TT or racing.

I have been using Wilwood 570 prior with no problems, but the price has gone up.

SRF fans, yes, I know, but I would rather do several flushes a year, that's just my thing.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say I have used it but that's a really good deal. I think I will buy some myself.
Just bought 7 bottles, can't beat the price, thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fredo sleeps with the fishes.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: Thanks for the website.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the Ferodo Super Racing brake fluid which is supposed to have a 626 degree dry boiling point and its worked well for me. That and Hawk DTC-70 pads and my pedal has been solid even through an entire 45 min race without the slightest bit of fade.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Ferodo brake fluid is excellent. The fluid for sale in that link is the older version of their product, but it is an outstanding buy at the price listed.

The new version of the fluid has enhanced specs, with a higher boiling point (626F vs. 572F). We are getting great feedback from this fluid from professional race teams.

Again though, that is a great deal for an excellent fluid at that price.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder why it isn't recommended for regular road use?

I've always used Motorcraft high performance brake fluid from my local Ford dealer with good results. A couple of years back they reduced the dry boiling point spec from 550 to 500 on it but the performance didn't seem to change for me. I just flushed before a track day and continued to run it till the next track day.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Wonder why it isn't recommended for regular road use?

I've always used Motorcraft high performance brake fluid from my local Ford dealer with good results. A couple of years back they reduced the dry boiling point spec from 550 to 500 on it but the performance didn't seem to change for me. I just flushed before a track day and continued to run it till the next track day.
I may be wrong, but in general, most high performance/racing brake fliuds are NOT recommended for regular road use because of the wet ratings are not that great and most street driven cars run their brake fluid for years, so they gain a lot of moisture & get degraded. Think of your 10 year old pickup pulling a trailer down the Grapevine once a year & standing on the brakes for a few miles. And the fluid has never been changed.

IF you change say, yearly, I think it'll work great in a street car.

Anyone else?

BTW I used the Ford stuff for years, but when I started DE's I wanted a little more cushion. Wilwood 570 was my choice for a couple of years @ about 6 bucks a bottle (bulk) but I can't find it anywhere for less than 9-10 bucks.

Ordered 10 bottles today, Ferodo.

Last edited by froggy47; 10-27-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Ferodo brake fluid is excellent. The fluid for sale in that link is the older version of their product, but it is an outstanding buy at the price listed.

The new version of the fluid has enhanced specs, with a higher boiling point (626F vs. 572F). We are getting great feedback from this fluid from professional race teams.

Again though, that is a great deal for an excellent fluid at that price.
Update on this fluid and a question.

I got 10 bottles today

Ferodo

Formula

Racing Brake Fluid

The older version.

Made in UK

It has not DOT equivalent rating, which is fine, but I just want to ask if it's dot3/4 equivalent fluid based on it's own testing process.

I saw one inet rating that said it's 5.1 equivalent, but I really don't know.

There is nothing on the label that says DOT anything

The part # is DSF 050A

I want to make sure it's not the SYNTHETIC brake fluid that we are not supposed to use.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
Update on this fluid and a question.

I got 10 bottles today

Ferodo

Formula

Racing Brake Fluid

The older version.

Made in UK

It has not DOT equivalent rating, which is fine, but I just want to ask if it's dot3/4 equivalent fluid based on it's own testing process.

I saw one inet rating that said it's 5.1 equivalent, but I really don't know.

There is nothing on the label that says DOT anything

The part # is DSF 050A

I want to make sure it's not the SYNTHETIC brake fluid that we are not supposed to use.

Thanks.
I got my 7 bottles today as well. Did you read that part about not mixing Ferodo brake fluid with any other brand and to flush thoroughly. I wonder how seriously I need to abide by that advice?? I was impressed when I saw it was made in UK.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

If we can figure out the DOT equivalance then the your questions may be answered.

I have always mixed dot equivalent brake fluids (50 years) and I do recommend a full flush to start out (for track use).

I would not use this in a street car unless you do an annual flush. There is no wet rating on the bottle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boiling point

Brake fluid is subjected to very high temperatures, especially in the wheel cylinders of drum brakes and disk brake calipers. It must have a high boiling point to avoid vaporizing in the lines. This vaporization is a problem because vapor is compressible and negates hydraulic fluid transfer of braking force.

Quality standards refer to a brake fluid's "dry" and "wet" boiling points. Wet boiling point, which is usually much lower (although above most normal service temperatures), refers to the fluid's boiling point after absorbing a certain amount of moisture. This is several (single digit) percent, varying from formulation to formulation. Glycol-ether/dot three/dot four/dot five point one brake fluids are hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels. Non-hygroscopic fluids (e.g. silicone/DOT 5-based formulations), are hydrophobic, and can maintain an acceptable boiling point over the fluid's service life, although at the cost of potential phase separation/water pooling and freezing/boiling in the system over time - the main reason single phase hygroscopic fluids are used.

Boiling points for common braking fluids [1]

Dry boiling point

Wet boiling point

DOT 3

205 °C (401 °F)

140 °C (284 °F)

DOT 4

230 °C (446 °F)

155 °C (311 °F)

DOT 5

260 °C (500 °F)

180 °C (356 °F)

DOT 5.1

270 °C (518 °F)

190 °C (374 °F)

Wet boiling point defined as 3.7% water by volume.

The health warning says contains polyalkylene glycol ether esters.

Does that make it a glycol-ether based fluid?

I would think so.

Last edited by froggy47; 11-03-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Default Price Dropped to $2.99!

It looks like a real deal here. I doubled down and bought some more.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use Ferodo brake fluid?

Quick Reply: Anyone use Ferodo brake fluid?