Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy wheels just for HPDE use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Should I buy wheels just for HPDE use?

I've been mulling this decision over and I can't decide on whether I should purchase separate track wheels.

I've been wheel shopping lately and I can't decide whether I should run extreme summer tires(i.e. NT01 or RS-3) 100% of the time or get some decent summers for street use and a separate set of track wheels. My C5 is not a daily driver and I put around 5k street miles on it a year. I am planning on attending around 4-5 HPDEs a year.

If I was to run one set of wheels all the time I would probably go with some 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 TSWs or Forgestars.

If I was to get separate track wheels I would probably go with 18x9.5 and 19x10.5 for the street and a square 17x9.5 or a square 18x10.5 setup for the track. I am also considering using my 17x8.5 and 18x9.5 OEM thin spokes for track use as they are cheap and I already have them.

Clearly two sets of wheels/tires are initially more expensive, but over time will cost less. My question is how fast will a tire like NT01 wear out on the street and how preferable is a square setup over a staggered setup for the track.

I am currently leaning towards the one wheel setup due to the initial cost and no need to store track wheels. The one thing that is really drawing me to the separate track wheels is the one wheel solution isn't really optimal for either situation. I would prefer having an 18/19 setup for the street and running a square 275/40/17 seems like a great budget track setup.

Any insight or advice will be appreciated!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Get 4 rear C5Z wheels.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Get 4 rear C5Z wheels.
The problem is finding them these days
Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Trust me, over time, the track will deteriorate(?) your street wheels. I wish I would have done the track wheels sooner. Much simpler. They have to come off every track day for pad and rotor change anyway.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Get 4 rear C5Z wheels.
They will work well. Four 315/35/17 work better but tire selection of used race take off tires is slim compared to a few years ago. Look at where the largest selection of tires is available and go with that wheel size.

Bill
Old 10-27-2011, 08:45 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with Tom on this one ... 4 18" C5Z wheels if possible. Scrubs run about 100 bucks each and seem to be fairly easy to get. I went with track wheels cuz I got very tired of cleaning street wheels each time i got back and frankly the aggressive compounds were hell on the finish ... Track wheels never need cleaning other then the occasional de-chunking of rubber on inside of wheel they are good to go .
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you should. As mentioned the c5z rears are the best.

Scrubs are cheap and great for de.

I got a complete truckload of scrubs when I bought my racecar.

They are still ok-scrub Hoosier A5's date code 2005 ran 1:18's at roebling. Try that on a street tire.

You could probably also find a set of used kodiak or ccw 17's as people are going to 18's not to clear bigger brakes. I am considering selling my 2 sets of kodiaks.

Tim
Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I am with Tom on this one ... 4 18" C5Z wheels if possible. Scrubs run about 100 bucks each and seem to be fairly easy to get. I went with track wheels cuz I got very tired of cleaning street wheels each time i got back and frankly the aggressive compounds were hell on the finish ... Track wheels never need cleaning other then the occasional de-chunking of rubber on inside of wheel they are good to go .
I clean my track wheels after every event. That provides an excellent time to inspect the wheels for cracks.

Jim
Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I clean my track wheels after every event. That provides an excellent time to inspect the wheels for cracks.

Jim
oh boy ... never cleaned mine ...

Get notified of new replies

To Should I buy wheels just for HPDE use?

Quick Reply: Should I buy wheels just for HPDE use?