Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda now offering body-in-white Civics with HPD racing components

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Honda now offering body-in-white Civics with HPD racing components

Here's another manufacturer getting in on it...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/02/h...cing-componen/

By Zach Bowman

There are few things more inspiring than a blank canvas, and Honda has recently given the company's enthusiasts just that with its new body-in-white Civic. The chassis is perfect for racecar builders who would otherwise spend plenty of time, energy and cost stripping out components in the quest for weight reduction.

Honda officially began selling the body-in-white Civic models in July, and the automaker has already delivered a handful of shells to licensed race teams. If you like what you see, Honda will sell you your very own stripped-down Civic shell for just $3,500, though don't expect niceties like suspension components or an engine and drivetrain. There's word yet on whether or not the shells come with a VIN, of course.

Honda has also announced that HPD will begin offering parts and racing components specifically designed for the 2012 Civic. The company says that the pieces have been crafted for the SCCA World Challenge and the Grand Am Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. Expect to hear more on that front when the parts go on sale early next year.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:19 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm living in my 10 year old corvette, which is parked down by the river, next to a bunch of vans, and we are all hoping to drive the latest aero'd C5, and you guys want to buy new non-VIN'd shells?

That being said, why can't GM figure out a way to make money doing this?? Seems like a total no-brainer. I know they made 30 or so rollers about 10 years ago, but whoop de do. They must realize from selling T1 parts that they could do pretty well.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 AM
sspeed30043
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked directly about a year ago, if i could buy a bare frame and pick it up at the Corvette plant, i got "No,we don't do that for individuals"

So I guess unless your not a "individual" they might do something, seeing that a lot of new bare frames end up in chassis shops somehow.

So instead I went and bought a stripped salvage car for $500
Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Unbody cars like the Mustang and Civic come from the Body/Paint Shop to the Final line as complete body-in-white plus paint. It's easy for the plant to pull them off the line to sell as a BIW at that point. There's no extra labor and it could even be a good way to salvage bodies that might have minor defects that you wouldn't want in a sale-able car.

The construction and assembly of the Corvette is quite different where the frame and structure is built up, the suspension, engine, interior are installed, and then body panels are bolted on after that. There's no point on the line where cars could easily be pulled. Sure, special builds could be possible but they would require more labor and logistics that the unibody cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Honda now offering body-in-white Civics with HPD racing components

Quick Reply: Honda now offering body-in-white Civics with HPD racing components