Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Control Arm Bushing Removal for Poly Bushing Install - With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
I like my car much better on the street with them, lubed well, than I ever did on rubber bushings. The ride is stiffer from the coilovers, bushings, etc but my wife and I like it better as more controlled, less excess motion, she used to get a bit sea sick if I pushed it a bit hard, now far less.

Driving experience is just plain better in every way. The stock suspension, bushings, shocks springs, sways, even when I installed Bilstiens, better springs, bigger sways, wider wheels, better tires, I still did not like it much, poor feedback and not a great ride. Now with Phadt street coilovers, sways, bushings, and DRM steering rack bushing and a very well dialed in alignment, not like driving the same car.

It rides better, handles better, stops better, far better feedback, the only issue is now the car is so confidence inspiring it is to fast for public roads, being on the edge is fun, on the edge in my car is so far out there I can only do it on a track now without being an idiot on the street. And, I cannot go to the track until I build a roll bar, a proper one for my vert.

The car responds exceptionally well to a few good suspension mods, the bushings were one of the best.

Rick
Wow! I'm about to install PFADT coils and PFADT bushings and I can't wait. Did you do all those mods at once or in increments. The reason I ask is that the DRM Steering Rack bushing is relatively inexpensive but I have also heard that people don't really notice any difference. Did you find it an improvement or was it install with all the other parts? Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really good write up.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:37 PM
82 ENGR
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I thought the Pfadt instructions say to mount them dry? You are only supposed to lube where the inner pins go?

And just to be clear about the cradle grinding (I had to do this) - it is just the outer sections that get ground (to widen the entry area into the area where the arm ultimately mounts) -- not the area that the bushings touch once fastened.
I'm doing an install of the poly bushings from LG and they will not fit as described above. Do you have any pictures of where you did the grinding?

Thanks

Last edited by 82 ENGR; 07-19-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 07-20-2015, 12:01 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

No pics. Should be pretty clear what needs to be mod'd.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:28 PM
pickardjj
4th Gear

I am replacing my bushings with a prothane kit. The problem I am running into and it's very frustrating is the kit I purchased did not come with the steel bushing sleeves. I was under the impression that I could reuse the stock sleeves but i do not see how I can do this being the rubber is bonded too the sleeve. I cannot find where to purchase the sleeves! Can someone point me in the right direction or have any tips? I am pulling my hair out!

Thanks,
Jake
Old 08-02-2016, 01:18 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pickardjj
I am replacing my bushings with a prothane kit. The problem I am running into and it's very frustrating is the kit I purchased did not come with the steel bushing sleeves. I was under the impression that I could reuse the stock sleeves but i do not see how I can do this being the rubber is bonded too the sleeve. I cannot find where to purchase the sleeves! Can someone point me in the right direction or have any tips? I am pulling my hair out!

Thanks,
Jake
if the OD is ok then burn the rubber off (Nasty job)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:33 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pickardjj

Thanks,
Jake
I pressed the stock bushings and sleeves out of the control arms, then took the sleeves over to the vice and used a hack saw to cut most of the rubber off. With 90% of it gone I used a knife to get to about 95% then a wire wheel to get to 100%. The process is not fun but I did not want to shell out the $$$ for aftermarket sleeves. Though it is a tough process and hated the job, but realized it was worth every second after the first drive.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:30 AM
RAiN 1999
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidforce917
I pressed the stock bushings and sleeves out of the control arms, then took the sleeves over to the vice and used a hack saw to cut most of the rubber off. With 90% of it gone I used a knife to get to about 95% then a wire wheel to get to 100%. The process is not fun but I did not want to shell out the $$$ for aftermarket sleeves. Though it is a tough process and hated the job, but realized it was worth every second after the first drive.

Zip Corvette has a sleeve kit .... $199.00
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2016, 01:34 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew someone made them, but back then money was harder to come by than time so I did it the hard way.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default LG polybushings?

Originally Posted by 82 ENGR
I'm doing an install of the poly bushings from LG and they will not fit as described above. Do you have any pictures of where you did the grinding?

Thanks
just sent you a PM regarding your install.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:33 AM
nuts105
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok update as there apparently are no newer posts on this subject and I'm not going to start one: the AutoZone tools don't exist anymore. What worked for me so far is the ridetech tool 85000006. It doesn't seem perfect but it actually works to press out the humungous lower front arm bushing, with the metal washer plates still on it. Just need a big Vise, and a flat socket to get it started as Vise wasn't that wide. And it works for the other bushings too. Definitely recommend spending $50 than having to deal with the mcgyver solutions out there.
Speaking of ridetech, I recommend you get the Delrin. Removing the control arms takes so much time why not invest in the best solution - the actual bushing replacement was very easy. Taking out the lower control arm is another story. Which BTW WHERE TF are the instructions for that? The only I saw was on some Z06 forum, with minimalist info.
So back to the lower front massive CA: off the rack ball joint separator doesn't fit, too small. Spend hundreds on GM tool? I don't think so. Luckily one of those bottle opener type clamping tools worked, just make sure wheel is pointing straight so you position foe good grip on both sides. And having to support the spring and CA with Jack's or stands separately is another PITA for things to align like the shock bolts.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:00 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by RAiN 1999
Zip Corvette has a sleeve kit .... $199.00
For anyone on the thread later, I have them 4 sale, search it.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by nuts105
Ok update as there apparently are no newer posts on this subject and I'm not going to start one: the AutoZone tools don't exist anymore. What worked for me so far is the ridetech tool 85000006. It doesn't seem perfect but it actually works to press out the humungous lower front arm bushing, with the metal washer plates still on it. Just need a big Vise, and a flat socket to get it started as Vise wasn't that wide. And it works for the other bushings too. Definitely recommend spending $50 than having to deal with the mcgyver solutions out there.
Speaking of ridetech, I recommend you get the Delrin. Removing the control arms takes so much time why not invest in the best solution - the actual bushing replacement was very easy. Taking out the lower control arm is another story. Which BTW WHERE TF are the instructions for that? The only I saw was on some Z06 forum, with minimalist info.
So back to the lower front massive CA: off the rack ball joint separator doesn't fit, too small. Spend hundreds on GM tool? I don't think so. Luckily one of those bottle opener type clamping tools worked, just make sure wheel is pointing straight so you position foe good grip on both sides. And having to support the spring and CA with Jack's or stands separately is another PITA for things to align like the shock bolts.
I have videos on all this, see below.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:34 PM
e46m3c
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone from this thread able to help me out on mine. got some fitment issues.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ent-issue.html

Quick Reply: Stock Control Arm Bushing Removal for Poly Bushing Install - With Pictures