Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the next scca fastrack

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:25 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default In the next scca fastrack

ALL T1 cars get poly or delrin bushings........

C6 LS3 picks up a 60mm flat plate restrictor............behind the 90mm TB..........

ADDED: The spec line doesn't descriminate between the LS2 and LS3........looks like the 05-10 C6 regardless of motor caught the restrictor.

Last edited by CP Thunder; 11-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

That's cool to hear... guess that'll keep the LS2s in the hunt. Can a properly developed LS6 C5 still compete? It's basically the same car in a different wrapping.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

What could be described as the best prepped C5 in the country with a really good shoe couldn't keep up with JB at the Runoffs.......will see what this does for parity........

Of course, JB doesn't suck either..........

ADDED: See my note in the OP

Last edited by CP Thunder; 11-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Looking forward to putting the poly bushings back on my car. I'm wearing out tires about twice as fast with these rubber bushings.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Group buy! Who wants to be the T1 supplier? Pfadt? Hardbar? VanSteel?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Notice they say Delrin as well. AFAIK Phoenix are the only ones offering Delrin at this time.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Notice they say Delrin as well. AFAIK Phoenix are the only ones offering Delrin at this time.
hardbar said they will be having some avail soon on facebook
Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Is there an advantage delrin over poly? Delrin is really easy to make yourself. I've done that with a cheap HFT mini lathe and $50 bucks worth of delrin. It does take a long time.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:34 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Joe told me they really have to work the fitment issues as apparently the control arms just don't all seem to be the same size............imagine that?

+1 on Gary at Hardbar's comment on FB about offering them soon. Joe is already selling them (a tad pricey for my taste but he does have the corner on the market so far). Lots of work involved.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the Delrin was a bit better than poly. Way more communicative, zero deflection.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Joe told me they really have to work the fitment issues as apparently the control arms just don't all seem to be the same size............imagine that?
I have two complete sets of control arms. One upper Right side is much different then the other set
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I have two complete sets of control arms. One upper Right side is much different then the other set
Gentlemen,

Out of curiousity, do these differences in control arms that you mention translate into actual differences in GEOMETRY? I guess I am wondering if the corners of the car can still be "squared" by "adjusting around" these differences.

Ed
Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My poly bushings are due for a replacement...considering Delrin since I need to be in there. What differentiates Delrin from poly when it comes to fitment? Seems like the same fitment issues should exist regardless of the material used.

Taking it one step further...do the fitment issues also exist with sphericals such as the Phadt kits?

What am I missing?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delrin doesn't compress as much as poly.
The other huge benefit is that it doesn't bond to the aluminum like poly does when it gets hot.

The fitment issue is that the holes the bushings go in are not all the same size... I would guess as much as +/- .030.
This means sometimes you need to hone the hole to get the bushing in. With poly you just push harder and it will go.
With Delrin and Sphericals that doesn't work so well.
This is why DRM has you send your control arms to them to have the sphericals installed.
I just used a brake cylinder hone until the bearing slid in with a little pressure...worked great.

Delrin is about as close as you can get to sphericals as far as the amount of deflection allowed but it still has a bit more friction than a bearing.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

One additional issue for some of the pivot points: poly deflects, delrin doesn't, and when you have an arm setup that requires deflection in order to align the car (think the rear lower LCA), delrin isn't going to work.

I think Phoenix gets around that by custom drilling the center hole in the arms where they need it done in order to get the alignment.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:58 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

How does the rear LCA require deflection for alignment? What happens if there is none?

Get notified of new replies

To In the next scca fastrack

Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
One additional issue for some of the pivot points: poly deflects, delrin doesn't, and when you have an arm setup that requires deflection in order to align the car (think the rear lower LCA), delrin isn't going to work.

I think Phoenix gets around that by custom drilling the center hole in the arms where they need it done in order to get the alignment.
That is why you have to take out the eccentrics and use the blocks.
Once the camber is locked this won't be an issue.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Mid atlantic Corvette racing league forming for 2012

Several C6 Z06 drivers are prepping cars with roll cages...

We decided tto start a corvette only racing league at NJMP using SCCA and NASA dates..
we will have two classes, Similar to NASA and SCCA.

More details coming.

Anyone interested?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:33 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe,

Bill Lex did this a few years ago, as a pseudo-revival of the Corvette Challenge. These were races-within-races, sanctioned by SCCA, and populated primarily by ITE class cars. For the series, restrictions were placed on wheel width, and there were two groups: slightly modified, and heavily modified. I can not recall if it was specified, but as far as I know, only C4s and C5s competed.

Bill was able to secure some significant contingency support from vendors (like Hoosier and Goodyear) in addition to the normal SCCA winnings, based on standings in "the season-long Championship". The series ran from Road Atlanta, to VIR, to The Glen, to Mid-Ohio, and if memory serves me, up to ??Mosport??

If his experiences with organizing and directing the series would be helpful to you, I am certain I have his number around somewhere - let me know.

Ed

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 11-15-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Additional

Quick Reply: In the next scca fastrack