Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PFADT Featherlight vs Prev Gen PFADT Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:20 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default PFADT Featherlight vs Prev Gen PFADT Coilovers

Recently I decided that I was going to buy myself coilovers for xmas. Car will see HPDEs but also street miles.

I had decided on the new PFDAT Featherlight single adjustable units as it seemed they had really raised the bar in the design and ease of use compared to other brands as well as their previous versions.

Recently I got the chance to buy a set of the previous generation single adjustable PFADT coilovers for about half of what the Featherlights go for. These were used for several thousand miles but look to be in very good condition.

The price is very appealing but I keep telling myself that I already went the cheap route the first time(bilsteins, z06 springs) and that I will ultimately regret not going with what I wanted in the first place. This argument could be extended so far in either direction however that I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Some input from people that have experience with either set would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SoDiezl350; 11-23-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:52 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a set of the older Pfadts for a show-car C5 vert a few years back... but I never installed them Sold them and sold the car and got smart and built a track-only race car.

I'd save my pennies and get the new featherlights. They look like a nice step up over the other offerings and the previous coilovers.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well we've got a little experience with both products.

From an engineering and design standpoint the FeatherLights are just flat out better than the previous generation. That being said if you're looking to stay within a budget it sounds like the line you've got on the used set is definitely something to think about.

What it comes down to is what you really want vs. what you feel like you can get a better deal on. We know the new units are improved in every way and well worth the cost difference. That being said if cost is a priority there is absolutely nothing wrong with the previous generation coilovers should provide you with a long service life.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Evilash
Pro

I spent years researching which set of coilovers I was going to go with.
I just never got a warm fuzzy feeling about all the designs that were available. There was always something I didn't much care for or they were very expensive.

The Featherlights came out and I got in on the first shipment. There was just no question in my mind that for the money what more was I waiting for?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Evilash
I spent years researching which set of coilovers I was going to go with.
I just never got a warm fuzzy feeling about all the designs that were available. There was always something I didn't much care for or they were very expensive.

The Featherlights came out and I got in on the first shipment. There was just no question in my mind that for the money what more was I waiting for?
Could you share your impression of them and compare them to your previous suspension(please specify what it was)? I was going to PM you but there isn't much info on the forums regarding the featherlights yet so it might be worthwhile for everyone to read. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Evilash
Pro

I had the stock F45 suspension with 40k miles on it.
I then changed out the F45 for C5Z06 shocks for a track event.

I haven't driven the Pfadts much due to other issues but the suspension actually seems independent now. The suspension is actually moving instead of skipping or slamming and making my rearview mirror flop down.
I feel I need more sway bar now over the Z51 set I have. But, the handling on the street is much improved as I don't feel like the rear is going to skip or slide out and the front doesn't seem to understeer as much.

I was very impressed with the ball joint mounting system.

Get notified of new replies

To PFADT Featherlight vs Prev Gen PFADT Coilovers

Quick Reply: PFADT Featherlight vs Prev Gen PFADT Coilovers