Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

negative camber vs. off-camber turns

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:23 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default negative camber vs. off-camber turns

While its generally well-known that negative camber is better for turning, what about an off-camber turn?

I know these are unusual on the race-track, but Ive found plenty of them on the street. Especially with off-ramps. Sometimes they are banked wrong.

Heres what I am thinking:

Seems to me that negative camber would be worse for an off-camber turn because usually its that outside tire is generating probably 85% of the cornering force.

Sure the inside tire is tilted right (for once) on an off-camber turn, but its not generating the cornering force...

This would make for a false sense of security if you ran lots of negative camber and then encountered an off-camber turn...

Am I right or wrong in my thinking...
Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes, you are wrong....

Forget that the camber of the turn is off, the only thing that matters is what is relative to the level of the car. If the whole car is tilted (negative or positive) by the road the only thing that matters is that the negative camber is applied to the car... The outside tire still takes more vertical load and the car still rolls to the outside, so you still need negative camber on the outside tire.

Or, to put it another way the max g that you can pull is lower, but the outside wheel still needs negative camper relative to the car to produce the maximum grip. The whole car is flat on the road, and the negative camber is relative to the car.... just tilt your head so that you are looking level at the road and it will all come to you....

Last edited by Solofast; 11-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: negative camber vs. off-camber turns