Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me what went wrong....

Old 11-29-2011, 04:17 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me what went wrong....

I know this might have been posted already but what caused this...maybe he should have left the nannies on....or do you think this could happen with them engaged.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-KBaevPqM
Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...rbed-hard.html
Old 11-29-2011, 05:09 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the referral...
Old 11-29-2011, 05:17 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Nannies had to be off. Ever tried to do a burnout or donut with nannies on - impossible.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Nannies had to be off. Ever tried to do a burnout or donut with nannies on - impossible.

Plus a really low level of driver reaction time.

He doesn't really look like he is trying to "save it" just sort of frozen in the moment.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Same thing that usually happens - the driver runs out of luck and talent at the same time.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

My first autox was similar to that.

It was a few months ago. I had the instructor with me everytime. my 3rd time out he told me to get on it at a certian point. I was slow the whole day because I can not get traction with my car. (thats a whole different subject) i rolled on the gas pretty good and the car just flew around. Traction control didnt do anything (ive never really noticed it working....which is concerning) I immediatly got on the brakes. If i would have spun a second earlier, my path would have been into a giant concrete barrier. The instructor couldnt believe how fast it came around and how my traction control didnt do anything, he used to own a z06.

This was at miller park in milwaukee.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

(1) Cold Tires on a Cold Road Surface with a Cold Brain - 1st session of the day.

(2) Clutch and Brake Pedal In! He didn't do that; staying on the gas all the way.

(3) Watch his eyes. He looked at exactly where the car ended up, into the curb.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 PM
ajderzie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my expert (ahem) analysis:

1st error - You shouldn't be adding throttle if you are not unwinding the steering wheel

He is going through the slalom at a moderate pace. The second to last turn is a right. As he sets up for the left, and presumably last cone of the slalom, he nails the throttle mid turn with the steering wheel still turning to the left. The weight distribution of the back end is abruptly transferred from left to right exceeding the available traction he had in the back.

2nd error - When in doubt, both feet out (step on brake and clutch)

Once he lost it he never stood on brake, only the clutch. You can see both the fronts and backs turning right until impact. Also, the brake lights never come on in the video, even after the crash. The engine is still on after the crash so I assume he somehow stepped on the clutch before then. Had he stepped on the brakes, maybe the ABS could have regained him some control. ABS cannot be deactivated with the center console button no matter what setting you are on.

Other observations

It seemed to me that he was looking where he wanted to go (out the right window) but could have used a little (or a lot) more correction sooner. I have to say that you see his hands swing far to the right where they are no longer visible in the windshield so unless he lets go of the wheel with one hand to turn it more, its hard to argue that in the heat of the moment he was afraid to let go and maybe loose the steering wheel or its orientation altogether.

So that's my analysis.
BASICALLY HIS CAR OBIDED BY THE LAWS OF PHYSICS!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:21 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounded to me like it was an auto that downshifted when he hit the gas and broke the tires loose.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
(1) Cold Tires on a Cold Road Surface with

(3) Watch his eyes. He looked at exactly where the car ended up, into the curb.

I found this out at a early age while racing 4 wheelers.... If you look at it you will hit it ... ya can run 70 MPH all day through the woods ... Just never look at the tree .... soon as ya do you will smack one ...

Get notified of new replies

To Tell me what went wrong....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tell me what went wrong....