Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off-Topic for Racing: Impact Wrench Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Off-Topic for Racing: Impact Wrench Question

This may not be an ideal spot for this post, but I think you guys will provide the best answer so here it goes:

I've run two HPDE days this past fall, and am excited to do a couple of more next spring. With brake fluid flushes, pad replacement, rotors, etc. I'm thinking an impact wrench will save me a lot of knuckle skin removing the wheels over and over again, but I've never owned one.

Electric versus compressed air?

And, minimum torque I should look at?

And, if air is the way to go, then how big of a compressor do I need? I only have a small pancake 3gallon for topping off tires, brad nailing, etc.

I know I can go to Lowe's and buy their biggest compressor and most expensive air impact wrench and be fine, but money is an issue.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Go to Lowe's and buy a DeWalt 18V Impact Wrench. Get the largest one and get two batteries. Then buy an extra deepwell socket to fit your lugs and leave it in the case with the wrench.

Then put your name on the wrench, the batteries and the charger since everyone else in the paddock has one just like it.

End of thread//
Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Go to Lowe's and buy a DeWalt 18V Impact Wrench. Get the largest one and get two batteries. Then buy an extra deepwell socket to fit your lugs and leave it in the case with the wrench.

Then put your name on the wrench, the batteries and the charger since everyone else in the paddock has one just like it.

End of thread//
100%

Buzz them off and lightly back on using impact, then top off with 90 FTLBS on the torque wrench.

Like brkntrxn said, buy a DEWALT good one. I tried the cheap harbor freight/sears type ones & they dont have good torque and dont last long. Ask me how I know!

Aaron
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a 24V 1/2" one from Northern Tool. Came with 2 batteries and a charger. As I recall it was around $79. I have no complaints and it has plenty of torque.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Go to Home Depot and buy a DeWalt 18V Impact Wrench.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

We have 2 DeWalts and they have been great - Geff's has been working for 3 years and I just picked up the Lithium Ion set-up this year. Great gun!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

What ever you get

Go with Lithium Ion

Buy a brand that has a lot of other cordless tools that fit the same battery

Get two batteries

Get one that has a case with room for a few sockets.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6
This may not be an ideal spot for this post, but I think you guys will provide the best answer so here it goes:

I've run two HPDE days this past fall, and am excited to do a couple of more next spring. With brake fluid flushes, pad replacement, rotors, etc. I'm thinking an impact wrench will save me a lot of knuckle skin removing the wheels over and over again, but I've never owned one.

Electric versus compressed air?

And, minimum torque I should look at?

And, if air is the way to go, then how big of a compressor do I need? I only have a small pancake 3gallon for topping off tires, brad nailing, etc.

I know I can go to Lowe's and buy their biggest compressor and most expensive air impact wrench and be fine, but money is an issue.

Thanks in advance!
If it's just the wheels then I agree a good cordless will do, but if you are the type that wants to plan ahead & think you might do more extensive work on the car, then bite the bullet & go with a compressor & air gun. Then you can add air tools that are pretty reasonable priced, last a long time & don't run out of power. I have air. Get at least a 10 gal tank bigger is better & a gun rated @ 500 plus ft lbs. My gun is IR (Ingersall Rand).
Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

End of thread//
one of the best purchases I ever made
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'm thinking a lot more along the lines of garage work than at-the-track work (though I know I'm on the racing forum so I understand it). So if I look at the specs of the 18v High-Torque Impact Wrench 1/2" DeWalt (300 ft-lbs), I can use that as a minimum with a corded one?

I agree with the compressor reply -- going with air-powered will save in the future on other tools.

Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

if you ever do Enduros, you can't use electric tools in pit lane........
Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
If it's just the wheels then I agree a good cordless will do, but if you are the type that wants to plan ahead & think you might do more extensive work on the car, then bite the bullet & go with a compressor & air gun. Then you can add air tools that are pretty reasonable priced, last a long time & don't run out of power. I have air. Get at least a 10 gal tank bigger is better & a gun rated @ 500 plus ft lbs. My gun is IR (Ingersall Rand).
I'd get a 20 gal.minimum. If you plan on using anything more than some impacts like a cut off wheel get a 30 or bigger.

IR is good stuff, I run them daily for a living. I love mine. Some others out there that are good as well. Cornwell, makes some nice stuff. I've been wanting to give Aircat a try as well. SNAP-ON air tools stink on ice in my opinion. My $110 IR once out muscled a SNAP-ON 1200lb-ft state of the art impact gun. Those are about $400.

I agree with an above post. Run them off, but just snug them on, then torque to specs.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:17 PM
johninar
Drifting

I just got a Sears 19.2V 200ft/lb nicad wrench at Sears for $89.99.
It's on sale for 99.99 and there is a $10.00 coupon for any tool purchase over $100.
I added a another item to put it over $100 and used the coupon. It was in the paper and I also got a set of coupons in the mail. Sale ends tomorrow 12/2

My old Harbor Freight wrench battery quit and I couldn't find a replacement battery. This new unit also accepts the Lithium Ion battery pack.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've gotten to where I use the electric impact in the shop more than I do the air gun
Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I've gotten to where I use the electric impact in the shop more than I do the air gun

Other than for the tire machine, I haven't used my air compressor in a really long time. I use my 1/2" drive for wheels and my 1/4" drive for misc nuts/bolts. Can't imagine lugging around a compressor and all that air hose just to swap tires at the track.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I got a cheap 24v from Pep Boys - yea it was DIRT CHEAP
I expected it to last a year
After 3 years I can't kill the darn thing!
When I dies I'll get the dewalt though.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm with drivinhard. I use my electric impact everywhere and avoid air tools for stuff like that.
FWIW, I have had snap on cordless in both 14v and 18v and would buy nothing else. Both are awesome. I've also used a dewalt a friend had. Would never consider it. It was much bulkier, heavier, and could barely break loose lug nuts. The snap on is expensive, but well worth it. I've had mine almost ten years and used it heavily at one time.

Get notified of new replies

To Off-Topic for Racing: Impact Wrench Question

Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by sperkins
. Can't imagine lugging around a compressor and all that air hose just to swap tires at the track.
I thought that too until nats when I took my big compressor and really liked having an air impact.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
100%

Buzz them off and lightly back on using impact, then top off with 90 FTLBS on the torque wrench.

Like brkntrxn said, buy a DEWALT good one. I tried the cheap harbor freight/sears type ones & they dont have good torque and dont last long. Ask me how I know!

Aaron

get a torquestick to use with it ...

http://www.torquestick.com/cart/19mm...-LETTER-C.html
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I have both air and battery, and I use my Craftsman 20.0v Lithium almost exclusively. No hose to screw around with, and no noise from the compressor running.

My daughter called from work the other day, to say she had a flat. I threw the battery gun and my floor jack in the truck, and had her tire swapped in no time.

If you want to go with air, and don't want to deal with a compressor, consider bottled air. In the 80's, when I was crewing for a TA team, we carried nitrogen bottles with us. We were able to run the impact gun in the garage and on pit road, from them and also fill the tires. If your using a trailer, it's easy to install a bottle rack in it.

Quick Reply: Off-Topic for Racing: Impact Wrench Question