Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for new Z06 owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:30 AM
bjorne
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Advice for new Z06 owner

Hi all, just purchased an all stock 04 Z06 and couldnt be happier, little backgroound on me, Ive been a long time porsche and bmw owner, I instruct for both PCA and BMW in the southeast, 4 years club racing, decided to switch to the Z06 cause usually that was the only cars that would blow by me and just dont think there is a better car for the money. My uses for this car will be double duty 6-8 DE events maybe TT with NASA, however still streetable, so this brings me to a couple questions (I did search ) but value guys who track these cars opinion the most, Fluids rec. oil? and Trans? diff? also I do plan to do the better radiator and oil cooler. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated, My home tracks are cmp, vir, lowes, ratl.
Thanks in advance Jason
Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Welcome to the Forum I think you will find answers to most every question you might have from the knowledgable and helpful members. I would first read the stickys, such as this one: C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned! Members who have tracked these cars for years have pronounced the C5 Z06 motors "bullettproof" if used STOCK and unmodifired. Coolers and seat time are recommended. Best of luck, and please give us feedback whenever you have an issue and implement Forum input to resolve the issue
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

PM sent Jason.
Are you planning on CMP with NASA in Feb?

As for fluids, I use:
Oil = Mobile 1 15W-50 or 10W-40
Trans = Mobile 1 ATF
Diff = Mobile 1 LS 75W-90
PS = Redline
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

You'll find you will need an oil cooler to keep the oil below 300* if you run the car hard for a 20-25 minute session. GM swears those temps don't hurt the engine, but they promised the bondholders they would be repaid, too.

Most of us install either a stand alone oil cooler or radiator/oil cooler combo. Installing either instills a bit of peace of mind. Just one less thing to worry about while on track.

Welcome to the Vette world.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:53 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
You'll find you will need an oil cooler to keep the oil below 300* if you run the car hard for a 20-25 minute session.

Fresh fluids all around, a stand alone air/air cooler will serve you best in the hot SE. You won't need trans or diff coolers unless your doing 4 hr enduros.

I run M1 in the engine, amsoil in the trans/diff. I got high trans temps warnings with royal purple in the trans, not sure what the reasoning would be why, but I switched after that.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Falcon
GM swears those temps don't hurt the engine, but they promised the bondholders they would be repaid, too.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 PM
bjorne
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default advice

Thank you so much guys as I learn about this car. Now that I finally own one I really wish I wouldnt have wasted so much time with the air cooled porsches and e36 m3s, dont get me wrong they were fun but this car really puts a smile on my face.
Again thanks for any and all advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for new Z06 owner

Quick Reply: Advice for new Z06 owner