Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Bar for C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 PM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Harness Bar for C6

Last year I began auto-crossing my Z51 C6 and had a blast. The only thing I'd like to change is to install a harness bar and 5 point harness. Do they make harness bars that won't require drilling or damaging the interior? If so are they difficult to install? thanks
Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HardbarUSA makes one, but you'll need to cut holes in the panels... but otherwise it mounts to the stock seat belt locations. I think Gary even sells the modified panels, though. Install it easy, and if you're not too tall you won't need the extenders...
Old 12-12-2011, 08:11 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed a Brey Krauss harness bar this last season. The installation took about 4-5 hours with the majority of that being adjustments to provide easy removal and re-installation. With the bar removed, there are just two posts sticking out through the panels. This bar also has a bracket that just mounts behind the panel to the shoulder harness bolts.

Jim
Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by kakgolfer
Do they make harness bars that won't require drilling or damaging the interior? If so are they difficult to install?
You have several excellent choices available, but I think they all require some amount of cutting interior trim. That or replacing the interior trim with pre-cut pieces. I've used the Sharkbar on my previous Z06, and I have one in my ZR1 as well. They have pre-cut interior trim pieces that you can purchase with the bar.

As for the install, I'm not sure. The tech at my local Chevy dealer installed both for me. I despise trying to work with interior pieces because I'm just the guy to screw them up.

jas
Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

.....The only thing I'd like to change is to install a harness bar and 5 point harness.....
You say "the only thing"....

Have you already put in race seats???

If not, you should either do that, or at least modify your stock seats with some pass through holes for the shoulder harness.

Here's an excerpt from the tech prep info for getting your car ready for the Nat'l Corvette Museum HPDE's last year:
Seat Belts or harness systems. Seatbelts must be in good condition. Factory seatbelts are recommended if this is your first several HPDE. If you have a harness system in your car it must pass technical inspection and must be identical for the student and instructor. Harness systems other than the stock 3-point belts must pass through the seat; harnesses that go around, even with a chest strap, are not acceptable.
Many organizations that sponsor track events have similar requirements, especially PCA, and many other outfits follow their lead.

Maybe AutoX events don't require it, but if you start to do roadcourse HPDE's be prepared to run into the requirement for seat pass through holes, and also the "similar restraint" rule that requires that if you have a race seat and harness system on your side, you need it on the passenger side as well if anybody will be riding over there (instructor, observer, passenger, etc.).

Bob
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
belts must pass through the seat; harnesses that go around, even with a chest strap, are not acceptable.
Many organizations that sponsor track events have similar requirements, especially PCA, and many other outfits follow their lead.
It actually depends entirely on how the harness system is done. I know for a fact that PCA won't dismiss harnesses like the JetPilot, even if it's wrapped around the seat (vs. harness slots). A standard 5-pt with a sternum strap may be declined, but they'll allow the JetPilot.

If a system like the JetPilot isn't applicable to the NCM events, well I guess there's another good reason for me not to ever go. In reality, most event organizers have little actual experience using the gear they may or may not allow, and they often craft rules based on rumor, hearsay, and supposition. Rarely do they have any real facts to back to their rules up, and when you question them, they start dancing.

jas
Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

jas, I have great respect for your input on the forum, but this is an area that we're gonna have to agree to disagree!!!

I have great disdain for the IRS and our tax system, but I still pay my taxes. The gubmint makes the rules, and I have to abide by them.

jas, I know you have great disdain for anybody who tells you how your ASM straps have to be routed, that the shoulder harness must be routed through pass through holes in the seat, or that a sternum strap is not a safe device (TeamTech/JetPilot is about the only company I know of that still offers one).

I don't have a dog in this fight because I just run stock 3 point belts with a Rage R3 for head-n-neck support - at least for now the stock belts are still approved by everybody for track day events.

There are still tracks and track day sponsoring groups out there that let you run just about anything you bring to the track.

Butt.....more and more are going to the standards established by BMW, PCA, NCM, etc.

I'm just throwing out there the fact that a track near you may end up requiring what the big boys in the business require. When liability is a factor, it's much easier to just over legislate than to use any common sense.

You may find your group at Summit Point might require PCA/BMW standards one of these days soon.

If you're not attending the NCM HPDE at VIR simply because you don't want to comply with their saftey requirements, you're missing out on the premier Corvette track experience of every year.

Schroth is one of the most well respected manufacturers of cockpit restraints, and below is a graphic from their website about installation of their harnesses. You can see that they say routing the shoulder harness around a headrest like our Vette seats have is not safe. It also says that cutting holes in a factory seat is not suitable.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-12-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
timsam
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I began auto-crossing my Z51 C6 and had a blast. The only thing I'd like to change is to install a harness bar and 5 point harness. Do they make harness bars that won't require drilling or damaging the interior? If so are they difficult to install? thanks
If you were in Dallas I'd sell you my entire setup. BK Bar with drilled panels and 2 Sparcos.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
jas, I have great respect for your input on the forum, but this is an area that we're gonna have to agree to disagree!!!
Reasonable people can disagree. But make sure when you disagree, you can back your stance up with facts and experience. You have opinions. I have experience (unfortunately!)

Butt.....more and more are going to the standards established by BMW, PCA, NCM, etc.
Again, be careful with the broad, sweeping statements like that. I've already verified with our local PCA chapter that the JetPilot IS acceptable. Even if it's wrapped around the the shoulder support of a seat.

You may find your group at Summit Point might require PCA/BMW standards one of these days soon.
I'm not too worried about that. The "group" at Summit Point is the owner of Summit Point. They're not going to change their rules any time soon.

Schroth is one of the most well respected manufacturers of cockpit restraints
They're one such, but not the only one. And other equally respected manufacturers don't agree with their take on things.

And again, I'm basing my stance on direct crash experience (doh!) The concern about these types of restraints really isn't founded in reality. It's founded in, "what if..."

If you don't agree, that's fine.

jas
Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Showing up at a track event with a belt system that has to be explained to the tech inspectors risks being sent home. Without a refund. I took that risk for a few years with a useless rollbar in a convertible. Tech inspectors generally aren't interested in discussions about either physics or logic. They will error on the safe side (for them) every time. Just understand the risks you assume when you push the boundries. Track fees generally are not refundable for failing tech. And even if they might be, fuel, hotel, and time certainly aren't. Be SURE your car will pass tech before you show up to the track.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Unlike any number of organizations that sponsor track days, the NCM has additional considerations including protecting substantial physical assets and therefore we freely state that we may have more restrictive rules because we have more to lose. I have instructed for years with Audi, BMW, Porsche and others and have seen things looser than is our NCM practice, but they also have less assets at risk. We'll go by our experience and insurance requirements, which for our organization, are significant.

I understand someone not wanting to change their preferred system but in the end we have to err on the side of safety, both physical and legal. Just look at the fallout from that accident several years ago at Fontana, even Porsche was found partially liable.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
McBenMotorsports
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a harness bar for a C6 that was in my car for one day prior to me caging the car. Its just sitting in the basement.

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/Corvette_C6bar.htm

The bar is the same one in the link posted above.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our chassis bar may be a little more than what the original poster was looking for, but the biggest reason to run the Chassis Bar is for the Harness Bar location. The chassis bar offers a great place to safely mount a harness bar without intruding into passenger space. You will have to modify your carpet just a little bit, but done properly it's really seamless. It requires no welding, just a little carpet trimming and at the bottom of the B pillar.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 PM
flangley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pfadt harness bar

[QUOTE=Pfadt Racing;1579469612]Our chassis bar may be a little more than what the original poster was looking for, but the biggest reason to run the Chassis Bar is for the Harness Bar location. The chassis bar offers a great place to safely mount a harness bar without intruding into passenger space. You will have to modify your carpet just a little bit, but done properly it's really seamless. It requires no welding, just a little carpet trimming and at the bottom the

I have the Pfadt chasis bar in my 2012 grand sport, I would highly recommend it. It really stiffens the chasis, and is a very sanitary fit. All of the Pfadt parts I have bought have been top notch
I have no ties to Pfadt, but what makes them good people to deal with is they are are always available, and very happy to help u out,
After the sale service is hard to find nowdays

Get notified of new replies

To Harness Bar for C6

Quick Reply: Harness Bar for C6