Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Am I right?

Someone in the general C5 section was considering a6s on the front and r6s on the rear of a high HP c5 can't this cause a potential dangerous oversteer situation on the street?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM
wanabgts
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't recommend running a6's on the street at all.

The theory in general doesn't make much sense tho unless for autox use he wants to save some tire wear in the rear.....but its not the peak grip that is all that different between the tires its when the tires REACH peak grip. On my car I know by the time I got the rears fully up to temp the front would be overheated.

Zack
Old 12-13-2011, 12:10 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

thats what I mean, at street driving temps the a6s would have more grip just didn't sound like a good idea.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:45 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

at any temp this would cause a dangerous oversteer situation, even if you run 255 in the front and 345 in the rear. A6's are just much stickier.

Why would you even want stickier, faster wearing tires in the front?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
at any temp this would cause a dangerous oversteer situation, even if you run 255 in the front and 345 in the rear. A6's are just much stickier.

Why would you even want stickier, faster wearing tires in the front?
hey thats what thought, I'm just trying to keep someone from killing them self on a on ramp
Old 12-13-2011, 02:37 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not the best idea we have heard today -- for several reasons.

For the street, handling imbalance is almost beside the point -

Althought Hoosier just loves selling these tires, they clearly embed RIGHT ON THE TIRE that they are not suitable for street use.

Even if they were "legal" for the road, one will wear though a set in no time at all. They are not made with longevity in mind.

And then there are road hazards (pot holes, debris, etc.), that race tires are not designed to handle.

All this aside, how would it be possible to utilize any of the grip on a road? One must sustain slip angles to make these work.

There are probably a bunch more points one could site why the notion is idiotic, but these are the ones that rush to mind.

Ed
Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
...one could site why the notion is idiotic..

Ed
Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen in the FI forums where guys take R6s and have tread cut in them because they want some traction w/o giving up handling like you would with a drag radial. For the record I never said it was a good idea
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by travisnd
I've seen in the FI forums where guys take R6s and have tread cut in them because they want some traction w/o giving up handling . . . . .
Now, I just wonder how that is working -

I rest my case.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Well... when you have a 800 rwhp car traction is hard to come by. If you run a drag-radial you get some traction, but handling goes out the window due to sidewall compliance. A few of them started getting Hoosiers with tread cut into them.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

As one small step to prevent the coming Idiocracy, I fully support this idea.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Can you imagine what a set of Hoosiers would do after a couple of weeks on the street!!! Let's see, a couple of heat cycles a day for two weeks. Can you say harder than a brickbat!!! I knew you could!!!!

They would be so hard you would be better off with a set of 10 year old Goodyear F1's!!!

I drove my car to work (10 mile round trip) for a couple of weeks one summer on sunny days with some old V710's on it. They were pretty much shot from autocrossing and then a couple of test days with Formula V on them. They were nasty, I could light them up any time I wanted to in the first three gears...

Hoosiers harden up more than 710's and have a much thinner carcas. Definately a dumb thing to do.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:02 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Well, now, David did not seem to think the idea of using these tires on the street was too outlandish (or at least did not say so.) And Travis seems to be supporting it, and also Jason. (All wise gentlemen as far as I am concerned.) So, there is obviously something (other than the inability to control wheelspin) that I am missing here?

To clarify:
[1] We are discussing street usage?
[2] We are discussing Hoosier DOT radials in R or A compounds?
[3] Individuals are grooving these to IMPROVE traction?
[4] These people are doing this on an on-going basis?

Please elaborate. I am more than willing to learn.
Ed
Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I support it in hopes that these people don't breed and contaminate the gene pool.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The thing these guys are missing is that Hoosiers (at least A6's anyway), arent that good of a tire for putting down power. I've done drag starts on concrete and could light them up easily. Yea, they have a soft compound, but the sidewalls are so stifff they don't hook up worth a darn off the line.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Solofast
The thing these guys are missing is that Hoosiers (at least A6's anyway), arent that good of a tire for putting down power. I've done drag starts on concrete and could light them up easily. Yea, they have a soft compound, but the sidewalls are so stifff they don't hook up worth a darn off the line.
Every compromise sucks.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jason
I support it in hopes that these people don't breed and contaminate the gene pool.
Whew! Now this is finally making sense.

And here you fellows had me worried that a large block of my learning and knowledge had somehow become faulty, and was missing a couple of chunks. I did not notice your toungs tucked firmly into your cheeks.

Thanks for finally pulling me out of my deep introspection - and with a nice laugh!

The thing these guys are missing is that Hoosiers . . . . . arent that good of a tire for putting down power. . . . . . Yea, they have a soft compound, but the sidewalls are so stifff they don't hook up worth a darn off the line.
This is an excellent observation, in my opinion.

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 12-13-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I right?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
I did not notice your toungs tucked firmly into your cheeks.
Jason's humor is sarcastic to say the least....but he does make good coffee... Just do not leave him alone with your car....
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Jason's humor is sarcastic to say the least....but he does make good coffee... Just do not leave him alone with your car....
And if you go to watch him race don't tell him where you parked his parts car.......
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I know I can "go" on lap one of TT if it'll hold for a full bore 1st gear WOT snap, with the small clutch in my car, 1st gear's accel rate is violent. If at the end of the in lap it's still scratching around in the rear in 1st (or 2nd with a bit of steering input), I run lap 1 as a tire heater lap

Quick Reply: Am I right?