Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retain or Remove the Lower Air Dam with a Splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Retain or Remove the Lower Air Dam with a Splitter?

With all the current threads on areo and with just adding a rear wing on my car the questions coming up for me are.......

* Will the APR front air dam (like the ZR1 design or Ktech) be enough or do I add to it by making a custom splitter?

*Attach it under the APR air dam and extend it out 2" creating a air splitter and full undertray. By doing this I would be removing the OE rubber flapper/air dam. I have looked over several older threads with conflicting pros/cons removing the OE air dam.

*What would be the best way to reroute the brake ducting? Would I still get enough air to the brakes if I cut out the opening in the new under tray at the factory location with out the OE rubber air dam?

Thanks for your input

Last edited by Gman57; 12-29-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

How big of a rear wing are you adding? That really dictates how much front downforce you need to generate and what kind of a setup you need to run...
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the air flow up into the radiator?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

How big of a rear wing are you adding?
70" APR- GTC 500

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Does the air flow up into the radiator?
No... This is a Z06 C6 front breather
Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With the Katech ZR-1 splitter, you can get the brake ducts that connect from the OEM ducts to the front openings on the splitter. This provides significantly more air flow to the rotors (assuming you also have a Quantum Cooling kit or equivalent). My rotor temps dropped substantially when I added the Katech splitter.

Is the splitter enough to balance a rear wing. Gee, I doubt it! I believe it was designed and tested to work with the Katech full spoiler, not a wing.

In addition to balance, you also are going to have to figure out reinforcements that are well in excess of the ZR-1 fiberglass reinforcement. There's a thread somewhere that discusses this. The problem is that in hot temps, the entire fascia can be deformed downward.

Should be a fun project!

Jim
Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlutherva
With the Katech ZR-1 splitter, you can get the brake ducts that connect from the OEM ducts to the front openings on the splitter. This provides significantly more air flow to the rotors (assuming you also have a Quantum Cooling kit or equivalent). My rotor temps dropped substantially when I added the Katech splitter.

Is the splitter enough to balance a rear wing. Gee, I doubt it! I believe it was designed and tested to work with the Katech full spoiler, not a wing.

In addition to balance, you also are going to have to figure out reinforcements that are well in excess of the ZR-1 fiberglass reinforcement. There's a thread somewhere that discusses this. The problem is that in hot temps, the entire fascia can be deformed downward.

Should be a fun project!

Jim
This is what I was thinking too......
I will have a much more support from the front other than the fascia it self.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

The C6Z air dam is to provide a little air to the brake ducts in stock form. It also adds a lot of front end lift. Take it off and throw it away but you must get more air to the brakes. The Katech unit is what I have with the undertray and brake ducts. You also need back plates to run the hoses to the inside of the rotors.

If you move the Katech undertray forward 2" you will get a ton more front down force but the front facia support is not enough to to keep the front of the car up. You are going to have to add additional supports to the frame.

Aero balancing a car is not easy. Best of luck to you.

Jim
Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Painrace
The C6Z air dam is to provide a little air to the brake ducts in stock form. It also adds a lot of front end lift. Take it off and throw it away but you must get more air to the brakes. The Katech unit is what I have with the undertray and brake ducts. You also need back plates to run the hoses to the inside of the rotors.

If you move the Katech undertray forward 2" you will get a ton more front down force but the front facia support is not enough to to keep the front of the car up. You are going to have to add additional supports to the frame.

Aero balancing a car is not easy. Best of luck to you.

Jim
This is along the line of what I wanted to do. I need to find out if the Ktech ducting will work for me since my splitter/air dam is the APR and not the Ktech splitter.
Option 2 would be to go the fog light route for ducting.

I think if I can get the front aero close I should be able to adjust the rear with AOA of the wing.

Anyone use 1/8" aluminum to fab the undertray? About $600 less than CF. A bit more weight would be the trade off.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman57
This is along the line of what I wanted to do. I need to find out if the Ktech ducting will work for me since my splitter/air dam is the APR and not the Ktech splitter.
Option 2 would be to go the fog light route for ducting.

I think if I can get the front aero close I should be able to adjust the rear with AOA of the wing.

Anyone use 1/8" aluminum to fab the undertray? About $600 less than CF. A bit more weight would be the trade off.
Try Alumalite. Stiffer than a 10th grader's unit after looking through Hustler magazine and very light. Cheap, too.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Falcon
Try Alumalite. Stiffer than a 10th grader's unit after looking through Hustler magazine and very light. Cheap, too.
Good idea
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Good idea
A few of us use that as an undertray. Call a local sign shop, they usually have it.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Call a local sign shop, they usually have it.
Yep.... you were reading my mind, one of my customers has a sign shop and they do all my graphics! Are you using the 6mm-1/4" stuff?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

A few of us use that as an undertray.
What do you do if anything to finish the outside edge?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

I (and I suspect most who have this type undertray) are using the 10mm size.

Some splitters you get will have a lip wide enough to cover the exposed edge of the undertray. In other words, the undertray will be cut to fit into the splitter.

If it doesn't completely cover it, you can use any silicone sealant to dress up the edges. That would be for cosmetic purposes only, the Alumalite will not separate.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

From the posts made, emails and phone conversations is why this forum rocks......
Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

A few of us use that as an undertray. Call a local sign shop, they usually have it.
This sounds like something I need to look into on my aero setup.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey Gary, good luck with the project! Let us know what you decide. JD
Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you do if anything to finish the outside edge?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-molding/=fmtulu

Get notified of new replies

To Retain or Remove the Lower Air Dam with a Splitter?

Quick Reply: Retain or Remove the Lower Air Dam with a Splitter?