Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Traier $164

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Harbor Freight Traier $164

Same trailer I pull with the Z Holds 4 tires and a box quite well..

Trailer is 219 normally
http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb-...res-42708.html

But with this coupon it is 164 not to bad of a deal :-) Season is right around the corner :-)

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...9&keycode=1002

I know I spelled Trailer wrong in title will not let me fix it .... Thats what I get for posting at 1:14 in the morning ...

Last edited by RaleighSS; 12-31-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:51 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the one I have. Works good .. just lube the hubs and check bolts regularly. And if you live in PA, better off buying something used that's registered already. just sayin'
Old 12-31-2011, 12:33 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I used to have the version with the 12" wheels. When I was looking at these trailers, everyone that had a HF Trailer said to get the 12" wheel version. The 8" wheel is not really up to freeway speeds above 50 or so. The 12' wheel bolts on with no problem.

And definitely re-pack the bearings before you use it!! When I bought my trailer, it had very little grease in the bearings. They are a standard size bearing and race, so carry a set just in case....

After I assembled the frame and got it square, I welded the corners. The bolts do work, but I felt that welding would help if the nuts ever came loose.

I also upgraded the tail lights with some LED bulbs to replace the 1157 bulbs. That way, you won't have to worry about changing the turn signal flasher in the car (a royal PITA in the earlier C4's)

I also added a tongue jack with a wheel. That made it easy to push around even when loaded. I also bought a spare tire and wheel too and mounted it under the tongue.

For the price, these are really good trailers for hauling race tires and some equipment.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:18 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had difficulty registering mine. The MSO with it says it is sold unassembled. I had to take it to the police department to get it inspected before DMV would give me a title/tags ... PITA.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:41 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Mine was simple to register once i got the title from the store ... I did repack the hubs when I built it like someone else said they give you enough to get the bearing wet and thats about it. I also drove / re-torque ... drove / re-torque ....drove / re-torque. If i load it properly i have no problems with the 8" tires I set car at 75/80 on Interstate 95 and good to go .. other tracks are only 55/60 mPH roads for me .. All in all a good trailer for me ...

Last edited by RaleighSS; 12-31-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I used to have the version with the 12" wheels. When I was looking at these trailers, everyone that had a HF Trailer said to get the 12" wheel version. The 8" wheel is not really up to freeway speeds above 50 or so. The 12' wheel bolts on with no problem.

And definitely re-pack the bearings before you use it!! When I bought my trailer, it had very little grease in the bearings. They are a standard size bearing and race, so carry a set just in case....

After I assembled the frame and got it square, I welded the corners. The bolts do work, but I felt that welding would help if the nuts ever came loose.

I also upgraded the tail lights with some LED bulbs to replace the 1157 bulbs. That way, you won't have to worry about changing the turn signal flasher in the car (a royal PITA in the earlier C4's)

I also added a tongue jack with a wheel. That made it easy to push around even when loaded. I also bought a spare tire and wheel too and mounted it under the tongue.

For the price, these are really good trailers for hauling race tires and some equipment.

I did basically everything the same except the welding.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Mine was simple to register once i got the title from the store ... I did repack the hubs when I built it like someone else said they give you enough to get the bearing wet and thats about it. I also drove / re-torque ... drove / re-torque ....drove / re-torque. If i load it properly i have no problems with the 8" tires I set car at 75/80 on Interstate 95 and good to go .. other tracks are only 55/60 mPH roads for me .. All in all a good trailer for me ...
Driving at those speeds with 8 inch tires you are living on borrowed time until one blows. The centrifugal force at 75 mph can tear small trailer tires apart quite quickly as they are spinning a lot faster than the car tires are (about 25 revs/sec VS 15 revs/sec for your car tires). Even regular 14 inch trailer tires used on car trailers are only speed rated to 65 mph.

Bill
Old 12-31-2011, 07:04 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I wish I had not seen this, I really do not have an excuse now NOT to go get this trailer, a hitch, and some DOT R-compounds for auto-x. SOB.

How hard was it to get registered in PA?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:34 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Driving at those speeds with 8 inch tires you are living on borrowed time until one blows. The centrifugal force at 75 mph can tear small trailer tires apart quite quickly as they are spinning a lot faster than the car tires are (about 25 revs/sec VS 15 revs/sec for your car tires). Even regular 14 inch trailer tires used on car trailers are only speed rated to 65 mph.

Bill

Yea I thought about that.. I have stopped and checked tire temp and they have not shown any issues maybe they would not show any heat problems guess they would just fail. Bought a spare but going on 5K miles and no problems yet. Not going to argue the fact that they being stressed...
Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
I wish I had not seen this, I really do not have an excuse now NOT to go get this trailer, a hitch, and some DOT R-compounds for auto-x. SOB.

How hard was it to get registered in PA?
Look up "specially constructed" vehicles. Similar process to register this trailer or a fiberglass Cobra kit car, because this trailer is considered to be self assembled from a kit. It's doable, but time consuming and lots of i's to dot and t's to cross. Just find an auto tags place that is familiar. And you need to find an approved "enhanced vehicle inspection" shop ... http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspectio...n_owners.shtml. Need a weight slip, which is interesting because you have to drive it to a weigh station before its titled or tagged . You fill out a MV-1 and an MV-426 and then wait a few weeks.

If I had to do over again I would have found something used, even out of state and just transfered it ... here's a nice example of what you can build from these ... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-trailer.html
Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, up here in the North its easy. You just tick the "homebuilt" box and they issue a registration, no problemo.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Too bad it's so tough to get tags in some states. When I bought my HF trailer, I put the carton in the back of my pickup, took the MSO and cash register receipt (that was the Bill of Sale ) to a licensing office, paid the taxes and I got a plate.

Took everything home, pulled out some tools, the welder, opened a beer, opened the box and started assembly.

This is what it wound up looking like:
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Look up "specially constructed" vehicles. Similar process to register this trailer or a fiberglass Cobra kit car, because this trailer is considered to be self assembled from a kit. It's doable, but time consuming and lots of i's to dot and t's to cross. Just find an auto tags place that is familiar. And you need to find an approved "enhanced vehicle inspection" shop ... http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspectio...n_owners.shtml. Need a weight slip, which is interesting because you have to drive it to a weigh station before its titled or tagged . You fill out a MV-1 and an MV-426 and then wait a few weeks.

If I had to do over again I would have found something used, even out of state and just transfered it ... here's a nice example of what you can build from these ... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-trailer.html
WTH, I think it might be easier to get a CCW permit. I'll keep this in mind, when I decide to buy one/get slicks. Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with an easy time trailer and it was a pita to get registered, the previous owner never titled it so PA makes it hard to get a plate for small trailers, but well worth all the trouble

Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with the above in regards to registering one of these in PA. I spent more money on the registration process than the trailer costs, not to mention the time and hassle. Anyone considering buying one of these "home built" trailers should look into their states licensing laws first. It would probably be better to wait for a used one to come your way.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Tire hauling trailer

Anyone out there looking to sell one of these? I'm in Michigan but travel the Midwest form business. I can access anything east of the Mississippi and north of the mason/dixon line.

PM me if you have something or know of something.

thanks
Old 12-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

I also upgraded the tail lights with some LED bulbs to replace the 1157 bulbs. That way, you won't have to worry about changing the turn signal flasher in the car
(a royal PITA in the earlier C4's)

can someone explain to me what the issue is with the standard lights that come with the trailer?
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Harbor Freight Traier $164

Old 12-31-2016, 09:29 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Bossdog
can someone explain to me what the issue is with the standard lights that come with the trailer?
Thanks
The "standard" lights will cause the turn signal flasher to flash much faster when the trailer lights are hooked up to the car. Using LED lights won't cause that problem. The OEM turn signal flasher works at a rate based on the resistance it sees from the bulbs. LED bulbs have very little resistance so the flash rate will not really change.

You could also swap out the OEM flasher unit to an electronic version. This flasher will have a constant flash rate regardless of the electrical load.
The following users liked this post:
Bossdog (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 09:38 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Moreover the lights that come with the trailer are just what you would expect for the price. Leaky and fragile. If you do not want to be frequently replacing 1157 bulbs that are burned out or vibrated to death you'll change them out. I put a set of LED submersible boat trailer lights on mine. I don't worry about a little rain corroding the bulbs or sockets within the lights that way.

And to echo what c4cruiser said above, the original lights have more resistance. more strain on the OEM flasher, which in a c5 is not fun to change. I'm guessing that it's not a fun morning changing one out in a C4 as well.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:35 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Moreover the lights that come with the trailer are just what you would expect for the price. Leaky and fragile. If you do not want to be frequently replacing 1157 bulbs that are burned out or vibrated to death you'll change them out. I put a set of LED submersible boat trailer lights on mine. I don't worry about a little rain corroding the bulbs or sockets within the lights that way.

And to echo what c4cruiser said above, the original lights have more resistance. more strain on the OEM flasher, which in a c5 is not fun to change. I'm guessing that it's not a fun morning changing one out in a C4 as well.
sounds like a great idea. If you have a link to a suggested Submersible LED trailer light, I would be grateful. Looks like there are tons out there.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Traier $164