Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACP 2" front splitter with no undertray?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default ACP 2" front splitter with no undertray?

I have a ACP 2" front splitter. I want to run no undertray and close up the vents in the center of the splitter. So the car would still be a bottom feeder from the air that is getting under the splitter. It would be about 3" off the ground at the most. I'm not worried about cooling for now. Would this setup still create downforce? I would think that I'm cutting off half the air that would normally get under the car, by the lower splitter height.

thanks,

Steve A.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Steve

I tried this and it did not work. Cooling was poor. and their was quite a bit of lift.

I made an undertray out of lexon, bolted it to the frame and splitter. Cut the rubber air dam in half to direct air up into the radiator.

Tapped off the edges between the undertray and splitter to force air up into the radiator.

Opened the radiator hole from 3" to 5" high to get enough air into the radiator.

My understanding is the spittler is to force air over the splitter to keep air from going under . So to have a bottom breather AND splitter may be defeating each other.

Front 3" opening

Opened to 5"
Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 PM
dgoetz
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I found the splitter not effective as it was so I raised it to 3&1/2" high with plywood and spray can paint.

After an off road excursion I modified it to 3" and removed the center opening post and removed the curved up portion of the center duct because the class that I run in doesn't allow the spoiler to direct air into radiator only just let it pass through. You could just stick with the stock center the way it came just raise it to 3" and bend the center air damn to touch the opening and bolt it to the splitter for pretty good air flow to radiator.

Finished splitter without spray can paint and mounting.

I run a 900# frt spring and better shocks so I only need 2&1/2" clearance under the splitter and it will touch once and a while. I would recommend you run 3&1/2 clearance if running close to stk set up.

Last edited by dgoetz; 01-02-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm still not getting a grasp on this. Is our goal to get as much air over the top of the car as possible? If so, when I add this splitter and block off the center openings, I essentially still have a bottom feeder car. But with a lot less air going underneath. The splitter is much lower to the ground then the stock front end. If my car can keep cool with this smaller gap between the splitter and the ground then I would think I would have created more downforce. Yes or No? The only reason I think I might get away without the center opening for cooling, is that I only run autocross. I do have a ACP vented hood too. So it's still a bottom feeder, but with a lot less air going under the car. Thoughts?

thanks,
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

bottom feeder will not generate downforce.....your airdam is still creating pressure under the nose (necessary to feed the radiator), and that creates lift. You want all of the air going OVER the splitter, not under it stagnating against an airdam
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Thanks guys for the comments. I'm still not getting a grasp on this. Is our goal to get as much air over the top of the car as possible? If so, when I add this splitter and block off the center openings, I essentially still have a bottom feeder car. But with a lot less air going underneath. The splitter is much lower to the ground then the stock front end. If my car can keep cool with this smaller gap between the splitter and the ground then I would think I would have created more downforce. Yes or No? The only reason I think I might get away without the center opening for cooling, is that I only run autocross. I do have a ACP vented hood too. So it's still a bottom feeder, but with a lot less air going under the car. Thoughts?

thanks,
This might help ->http://e30m3project.com/e30m3perform...r/splitter.htm
FWIW.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoetz
Finished splitter without spray can paint and mounting.
What did you start with? The ACP 2" setup or the ACI spoiler many of the waxers run?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 AM
dgoetz
Instructor

Originally Posted by travisnd
What did you start with? The ACP 2" setup or the ACI spoiler many of the waxers run?

ACI with 2 pc of 1/2" plywood added, tired 3 and had ground clearance problems. In the class I run SCCA ASP now SSP the splitter can't stick out beyond the body so the ACI fitted best.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

getting air OVER the car AND still a bottom breather defeats each other.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 PM
dgoetz
Instructor

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I'm still not getting a grasp on this. Is our goal to get as much air over the top of the car as possible? If so, when I add this splitter and block off the center openings, I essentially still have a bottom feeder car. But with a lot less air going underneath. The splitter is much lower to the ground then the stock front end. If my car can keep cool with this smaller gap between the splitter and the ground then I would think I would have created more downforce. Yes or No? The only reason I think I might get away without the center opening for cooling, is that I only run autocross. I do have a ACP vented hood too. So it's still a bottom feeder, but with a lot less air going under the car. Thoughts?

thanks,
If you block off the opening of your splitter you are making a frt spoiler. The name splitter comes from splitting the air between down force and cooling. Nobody makes a frt spoiler from a C5 Corvette because they won't keep the car cool. I run Hill climbs, some track days but mostly autocross in ASP class and by far the car runs hottest in autocross. Even with the opening in the splitter I had to go to a accessory radiator to keep the eng cool. A FRONT SPOILER WILL NOT WORK ON A C5 VETTE

Last edited by dgoetz; 01-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dgoetz
A FRONT SPOILER WILL NOT WORK ON A C5 VETTE
That is correct. It would be a front spoiler. Okay guys I get the idea now. Will not work.

thanks again for all the comments.

Steve A.

Get notified of new replies

To ACP 2" front splitter with no undertray?

Quick Reply: ACP 2" front splitter with no undertray?