Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel cell

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default fuel cell

I am in the process of building a new chassis for my 1970 coupe. It is a SRIII tube frame with 1993 ZR1 suspension, coil overs in all corners, small block 427 (high volume mechanical fuel pump and quick fuel 950 cfm carb) and a T56 Magnum trani. It will be used on the street and see time on the road race tracks. I am wondering what people have done as far as fuel cell set ups. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Having done a few fuel cells in mustangs I can give you a bit of advice. Determine where the cell will go and look through the fuel safe catalog to see if one of the rectangular cells will fit then fabricate your own mounting system.
In my case the cars I did fuel cells for were late model mustangs. I found that the mustang specific cell was an easy direct bolt in, but crazy expensive because it required a unique bladder and can. The last one I did I installed an 18 gallon rectangular and made a completely custom mount. I prefer using a "basket" setup as opposed to a rigid structure so as to resist damage in the event of any contact. The lid is shoebox style and ultra easy to remove. It allows access to the entire bladder so service is super easy. If you do as I suggested get the can only and complete the car then get the bladder when you are ready to run the car so you have a fresh date. They expire every 5 years. Once fuel is in the bladder it does slowly deteriorate so the expiration is not all the crazy. Some photos below of the one I mentioned above.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the input tracboss. I was really hoping for some pics of where, what size, etc. that people have used in C3's. Can anyone out there help?

Get notified of new replies

To fuel cell

Quick Reply: fuel cell