Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering Trailer in SC...story

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Registering Trailer in SC...story

So I move to SC from NJ...

My trailer has been registered in NJ for 7 years with plates and everything.

I try to move the registration to SC...but not so fast...

No problem registering the truck and the Z06, once I transfer the titles and pay the annual SC property tax...about $150 per vehicle. But the trailer...

NJ doesn't title trailers so all I have is the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origination (MCO) showing the trailer was assigned to me and the NJ registration card showing the trailer was registered in NJ by me and has NJ Plates.

In SC you must title the trailer to be able to register it and get a plate.

SC DMV wants to see the bill of sale. I can't find it. I ask why? They say they want to see what I paid for it so they can charge me the sales tax...for something I bought nearly 7 years ago. They say without the sales receipt they have no way of knowing that the trailer is mine...

I point out the MCO says it was transfered to me and never left my possession and the registration shows it's still mine...they say OK it's yours but you still have to show the sales receipt so we can make sure you paid the sales tax...???!!!

I ask them, what's the statute of limitations on sales tax? They don't know and don't care. I explain again that I didn't just buy it, I'm transferring the registration.

I tell them the original receipt won't show them the sales tax was paid because I bought the trailer in York, PA and brought it to NJ where I had to pay the NJ sales tax in order to register the trailer in NJ. So the current NJ registration card I had should suffice to prove I paid sales tax on the trailer. They say they don't know the NJ laws and I must prove I paid sales tax on the trailer...

They want to know why I bought it in PA when I lived in NJ. I explained that it was a roll-back trailer and the only two distributers near me were in PA and NY. So I bought it in PA.

They tell me to produce the 2005 NJDMV receipt showing I paid the sales tax. And tell me to go back to NJ DMV to get a copy of the receipt. I tell them...after waiting in line for 3 hours...that the NJ DMV lines are longer than the ones in SC. They laugh. Still don't care.

I explain that I am trying to do the right thing here by registering my trailer in the state where I keep it. They remind me that I don't need to register a trailer in SC and I don't even need a plate to use a trailer in SC. I only need to register it if I plan on crossing state lines...I explain that I trailer my cars all over the country and need a plate on the trailer.

They ask if there is currently a plate on the trailer? I say yes, a NJ plate. They suggest I just leave that plate on the trailer and no one in SC will care. I explain that I don't want to spend my trips explaining to every State Trooper in America that sees me why my truck and car have SC plates and my trailer has NJ plates.

So I go home, without a SC registration, or plate, for the trailer, to strategize my next move.

I look through all my moving boxes and find my "trailer" file. No sales receipt. But what to my wondering eyes do I find?...my 2005 NJ DMV trailer registration "retain for your records" receipt with a glorious line stating: SALES TAX PAID $265!

Back to SC DMV for another 2 hour wait in line.

They say: Where's the sales receipt? I tell them I couldn't find one, but I have the sales tax receipt from NJ DMV. They say, oh...where's the SC property tax receipt? I remind them that SC doesn't charge Property tax on trailers...they say: Oh...

Four levels of DMV minions look over my application, my MCO, my NJDMV registration receipt and then decide to title my trailer and issue me a permanent SC trailer tag so I never have to spend any more time at the SC DMV regarding my trailer for the rest of my life....

Thank god!

Last edited by TedDBere; 01-05-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 265 Likes on 222 Posts

isn't goverment great
Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the reasons I have AAA towing. They will also handle registrations, at least is California. Glad you got they straightened out finally.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, just wait to see what they have planned for your health care!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

want to know the trick arround this? Remove all the tags off the trailer, and then apply for a home made trailer title. This also gets you arround the GVW issue if your trailer has a higher GVW than your truck. (you get BURNED if pulled over and the trailer is higher than the truck)
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Great anecdote about bureaucracy, and don't forget your tax dollars got to pay for all of the "service".

Old 01-05-2012, 01:44 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Great story.

All of our trailers that are stolen in NC end up in SC due to the lack of title and tag requirements. Great system they have down there.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to SC
Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sabastian458
want to know the trick arround this? Remove all the tags off the trailer, and then apply for a home made trailer title. This also gets you arround the GVW issue if your trailer has a higher GVW than your truck. (you get BURNED if pulled over and the trailer is higher than the truck)
Interesting...GVW isn't an issue since I believe the truck is 12,000 lbs and the trailer is 7000 lbs.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome to SC. Where do you live?

Scott, this is the good old boy State. After you have been here for a while you can get anything done for just a few bucks.

Say are you interested in a good trailer from North Carolina cheap?

Jim
Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Painrace

Scott, this is the good old boy State. After you have been here for a while you can get anything done for just a few bucks.

Jim
That's almost funny...lol.

I'd tell you where I live...but I like my trailer...lol.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... this is the good old boy State. After you have been here for a while you can get anything done for just a few bucks.
Or some "shine"......
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Jim

What a PITA. Bought my trailer from a place called Sweet Rivers Trailers down there in SC. Here in the Communistwealth of VA we have titles and plates for our trailers. Got a permanent trailer plate.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Little things like that may **** you off.

But wait until you see the Property taxes vs NJ Property taxes. WOW,

and you will love SC's winters.

Get your Conceal Carry Pistol Permit ASAP too.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Little things like that may **** you off.

But wait until you see the Property taxes vs NJ Property taxes. WOW,

and you will love SC's winters.

Get your Conceal Carry Pistol Permit ASAP too.

You are right about these things...

4K vs 14K on the property taxes.

Xmas was 74 degrees and we went for a family walk on the beach!

Already looked into the C&C class...needed my driver's license first but have been spending time on the range with the XD 45 ACP to qualify!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 PM
GregK
Racer

This thread almost makes me homesick....almost!
I grew up in Anderson.

Joined the Navy in '76 after Clemson and have only been back a few times. Seattle is home now. About as far away as you can get in the 48.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 PM
MartyZ51
Instructor

It's amazing that governement wants to discourage property ownership. I researched this for myself and in the last 5 years I've paid almost $3k in holding costs for my trailer. This includes purchase sales tax, annual property tax, registration fees, insurance, and annual storage fees. I sold it and found a guy a church that I can borrow a trailer from.

Took the money and bought a paint job for my new toy:

Get notified of new replies

To Registering Trailer in SC...story

Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by travisnd

What a PITA. Bought my trailer from a place called Sweet Rivers Trailers down there in SC. Here in the Communistwealth of VA we have titles and plates for our trailers. Got a permanent trailer plate.
My Trailer, purchased in Georgia, has a title and a SC permanent plate! The trailer ocasionally has a little Tennessee shine in it also!

Come on Scott, give me a hint, are you close to Spartanburg? I will show you around!

Jim
Old 01-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TedDBere
You are right about these things...

4K vs 14K on the property taxes.

Xmas was 74 degrees and we went for a family walk on the beach!

Already looked into the C&C class...needed my driver's license first but have been spending time on the range with the XD 45 ACP to qualify!
You have to shoot 50 rounds. Get a .22 and save your arm!

Jim
Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Jim

LOL. Is it an 18' Kauffman?

Quick Reply: Registering Trailer in SC...story