Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight difference between different brake setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weight difference between different brake setups

A while back someone was going to look at the weight difference between our stock C5 calipers/rotors vs going to the C6Z06 or GS brakes. Does anyone know the difference in the various offerings we can put on our cars i.e. C6Z, Baer, Wilwood, Brembo? I am thinking of changing the rear rotors to a +1 setup when I change my brake lines to Stainless. My concern is finding solid rotors for the track, as all the +1 setups seem to be drilled and slotted.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Avoid +1.
Stick with the stock brake setup. Use "real" pads and fluid.
Either stock up on cheap blanks or stock up to a lesser degree on 2 piece front discs.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Avoid +1.
Stick with the stock brake setup. Use "real" pads and fluid.
Either stock up on cheap blanks or stock up to a lesser degree on 2 piece front discs.
forget the +1s

Solid surface rotors
Race brake pads and better brake fluid.

2-piece rotors are the best idea.

if you do go with a BBK set up that is a major upgrade as you also need wheels to go over the BBKs
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 AM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
forget the +1s

Solid surface rotors
Race brake pads and better brake fluid.

2-piece rotors are the best idea.

if you do go with a BBK set up that is a major upgrade as you also need wheels to go over the BBKs
I have the solid rotors, race pads, and I run high temp brake fluid. Was just looking for a way to fill in the back wheel some and thought a slightly larger rotor would look good and provide more of a heat sink. My only concern was that you could not get them in a solid configuration, everything seems to be drilled or slotted or both.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Look good?

No Offense, but when you are driving, no one will know.

Slotted rotors are fine, they will scrap the brake pads down quicker

I have been using stock set up, with blank rotors for many years.

Yes I toss the rotors frequently and the calipers every other year or as needed.

with Wilwood H or PFC-01 brake pads, Going into VIR T1 from 130mph, and stopping, will the ABS is a pounding and the car feels like it is doing a motorcycle stoppie and the rear end dances a bit. It does whoa down from the 4 marker very nicely

Last edited by AU N EGL; 01-07-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Look good?

No Offense, but when you are driving, no one will know.

Slotted rotors are fine, they will scrap the brake pads down quicker

I have been using stock set up, with blank rotors for many years.

Yes I toss the rotors frequently and the calipers every other year or as needed.

with Wilwood H or PFC-01 brake pads, Going into VIR T1 from 130mph, and stopping, will the ABS is a pounding and the car feels like it is doing a motorcycle stoppie and the rear end dances a bit. It does whoa down from the 4 marker very nicely
Don't misunderstand, I know the stock brakes are very capable, and I have been behind you going into T1 at VIR, so I know they work! I also take my car to an occasional show so when I am not at the track I do run drilled rotors. I have a stockpile of the solid rotors in my basement for VIR, as my brother gave me all his spares.

I just put new wheels and tires on in stock sizes, as I don't want to pay the upcharge for a BBK and new wheels. I like the current look and have dropped the +1 idea. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueBlueCoupe
A while back someone was going to look at the weight difference between our stock C5 calipers/rotors vs going to the C6Z06 or GS brakes. Does anyone know the difference in the various offerings we can put on our cars i.e. C6Z, Baer, Wilwood, Brembo? I am thinking of changing the rear rotors to a +1 setup when I change my brake lines to Stainless. My concern is finding solid rotors for the track, as all the +1 setups seem to be drilled and slotted.
I believe DBA has some blank options.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I run DBAs and Wilwood SL6Rs up front... the ones I use a slotted. Not sure of the weight, but they're lighter than the stock stuff. Didn't do the upgrades for weight though... the 2-piece rotors last way longer than the stock one-piece units and the SL6Rs use a 20mm pad which is much thicker than the OEM one and cheaper too.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueBlueCoupe
kns brakes sells blanks from various manufacturers

As far as larger rotors go, Im not 100% sure but I think you can run c6 z51 caliper brackets on the c5.

Last edited by el es tu; 01-11-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weight difference between different brake setups

Quick Reply: Weight difference between different brake setups