Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is Best for Auto-X Base w/ Z51 or GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 PM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which is Best for Auto-X Base w/ Z51 or GS?

Sorry to make such a vague post as I know that everyone has their preference and as such it's hard to quantify a "best car for Auto-x" but none the less I'm hoping to get some input from fellow autocrossers. This spring I'm planning on buying either an 08-09 Base Coupe w/ Z51 PKG or a 10' Grand Sport this will be my summer DD but the autocross performance is very important to me. The obvious PRO's are:

Base Coupe w/ Z51 PKG4-9K Cheaper (therefore more money for tires, wheels, brakes... down the road)
Lighter (100 - 150lbs)
Narrower
Running 9 or 9.5" Front & 10.5 or 11" Rear Aftermarket Wheels opens up a fair bit of tire choices vs. the GS/Z06 tire choices
Cheaper Tires & Brakes

GS
Wider Wheels/Tires
Bigger Brakes
Dry Sump
Slightly Better Weight Distribution (rear mounted battery)
Extra 1-2 years of factory warranty

Basically my question is; is the GS worth the extra money over the Base Coupe w/ Z51 PKG? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by 94boosted; 01-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 94boosted
Sorry to make such a vague post as I know that everyone has their preference and as such it's hard to quantify a "best car for Auto-x" but none the less I'm hoping to get some input from fellow autocrossers. This spring I'm planning on buying either an 08-09 Base Coupe w/ Z51 PKG or a 10' Grand Sport this will be my summer DD but the autocross performance is very important to me. The obvious PRO's are:

Base Coupe w/ Z51 PKG4-9K Cheaper (therefore more money for tires, wheels, brakes... down the road)
Lighter (100 - 150lbs)
Narrower
Running 9 or 9.5" Front & 10.5 or 11" Rear Aftermarket Wheels opens up a fair bit of tire choices vs. the GS/Z06 tire choices
Cheaper Tires & Brakes

GS
Wider Wheels/Tires
Bigger Brakes
Dry Sump
Slightly Better Weight Distribution (rear mounted battery)
Extra 1-2 years of factory warranty

Basically my question is; is the GS worth the extra money over the Base Coupe w/ Z51 PKG? Any help would be appreciated.
Look at the results from the Solo Nationals, should help clear things up.

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=3022
Old 01-05-2012, 04:42 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The base C6 has never really proven as competitive as either the C6Z or the GS.

If I were choosing between the two, a base C6 or a GS I'd get the GS because of the wider fenders so I could put really wide rubber on it if I decided in a few years to bump up in class to street prepared. FWIW
Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR

That was a fun read. And about what I expected, quite a few C5 ZO6's.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Before weighing in with my opinion . . . sounds like you don't want to run a Stock type class and run a class where modifications are allowed?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by acrace
Before weighing in with my opinion . . . sounds like you don't want to run a Stock type class and run a class where modifications are allowed?
Ideally the first season, bone stock. Then as the seasons continue the modifications will trickle in but nothing too extreme.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

For Stock the GS, hands down.

When starting to modify, I don't know how big a wheel/tire size you can stick under a standard body C6, so that's what I would check out. If you're going to run a modified type class, maybe the alternate is to put a wide body kit on a standard body C6 so that you can run bigger rubber. That also depends on what type of event sites, course designs are prevalent.

Depends a lot on the rule structure where you run; I'm not familiar with Canadian organzations.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by acrace
For Stock the GS, hands down.

When starting to modify, I don't know how big a wheel/tire size you can stick under a standard body C6, so that's what I would check out. If you're going to run a modified type class, maybe the alternate is to put a wide body kit on a standard body C6 so that you can run bigger rubber. That also depends on what type of event sites, course designs are prevalent.

Depends a lot on the rule structure where you run; I'm not familiar with Canadian organzations.
Putting a wide body on a standard body C6 would bridge the gap price wise between the two so close that it wouldn't make sense any more.

I beleive the rules are the same, we follow SCCA Solo II Rules. i.e. both the C6 Base Coupe w/ Z51 & GS would be in either SS or ASP.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:25 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR

That was a good read lots of C5 Z06's, C6 Z06's and some GS's in the results.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Tough question, and lots of different and good opinions out there - but you knew that when you asked!

Having AX'd both the c6z51 (2009) and the c6z06 (2010) this past season, there are some considerations regarding the width of the car. When I run SCCA Solo events in my home area, the course is typically pretty wide and reasonbly long. Getting the wide body thru the course isn't usually a problem. However, I also run other events from local chapters (like BMW) and out of town events at small parking lots. They typically have shorter, much narrower courses with more "gymnastics" in the course. I can tell you there is a real difference when trying to get the wide body car in and out of a Chicago Box or crank any speed thru a slalom series that is spaced at less than 17 paces. With each cone costing you 2 seconds, you can knock yourself out real quick on some courses.

Brakes on both the z51 and the GS will allow you to operate at the threshold point. No advantage one way or the other for AX.

Weight of the car is not a factor. 100 lbs is negligable at a 3200 lb total with 430+ HP. (Besides, you let a passanger ride along so you can scare the bejeezes out of them, right?) Don't fill the gas tank if you think a few pounds makes a difference.

Weight distribution on both cars is so close to even that it would not be a player in the calculations.

Dry sump not a decision player for AX or occasional track days. It is a consideration if in the future you plan to do any serious HPDE track time and use race rubber.

As far as rubber goes, you have options. Hoosier makes a set of A6's that will fit right into the narrow body without any worries and keep you in the Super Stock class. Excellent performance - go fast quickly and be ultra competitive. If you really think you need wider rubber with the narrow body, you can run the 18 inch c5z06 rear wheels on all four corners and step up the tread width a whole bunch - 305 F / 315 R. (Note that this will move you to the ASP class.)

Since this will be your DD, something very important to keep in mind is the suspension set up. If you want good AX performance, you'll need to get the car's geometry (alignment) set up for a combination of street and AX. You need something that is tolerable on tire wear for the street. Because the z51 wheels/tires are narrower, I can run a set up on the z51 that has a half degree more negative camber than I can on the wide body, and I still maintain reasonable tire wear on the street. Camber is a big player in the handling for AX. When you start pushing past neg 1.5 / neg 1.6 degrees of camber on the wide body front end, you'll use up a lot of tire on the street - and it will be the inside edge only. Expensive!

The GS and the z51 both have the preferred tranny for AX. They won't give you the 2nd gear "dead pedal" you get with the c6z06 at lower RPM's. (A lot of guys stick with the c5z because of the gear ratios as well.)

Knowing the venues you will be running (narrow/short course vs wide/long course) is something to consider.

Soooo... Just more stuff to throw on the already complicated consideration pile. Not saying one is better than the other - just pointing out my experience from driving both cars. They are both high end performers. No matter which car you choose, you are going to have a huge grin on your face when you get out there and romp down on the gas pedal!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by CONE RACER
Tough question, and lots of different and good opinions out there - but you knew that when you asked!

Having AX'd both the c6z51 (2009) and the c6z06 (2010) this past season, there are some considerations regarding the width of the car. When I run SCCA Solo events in my home area, the course is typically pretty wide and reasonbly long. Getting the wide body thru the course isn't usually a problem. However, I also run other events from local chapters (like BMW) and out of town events at small parking lots. They typically have shorter, much narrower courses with more "gymnastics" in the course. I can tell you there is a real difference when trying to get the wide body car in and out of a Chicago Box or crank any speed thru a slalom series that is spaced at less than 17 paces. With each cone costing you 2 seconds, you can knock yourself out real quick on some courses.

Brakes on both the z51 and the GS will allow you to operate at the threshold point. No advantage one way or the other for AX.

Weight of the car is not a factor. 100 lbs is negligable at a 3200 lb total with 430+ HP. (Besides, you let a passanger ride along so you can scare the bejeezes out of them, right?) Don't fill the gas tank if you think a few pounds makes a difference.

Weight distribution on both cars is so close to even that it would not be a player in the calculations.

Dry sump not a decision player for AX or occasional track days. It is a consideration if in the future you plan to do any serious HPDE track time and use race rubber.

As far as rubber goes, you have options. Hoosier makes a set of A6's that will fit right into the narrow body without any worries and keep you in the Super Stock class. Excellent performance - go fast quickly and be ultra competitive. If you really think you need wider rubber with the narrow body, you can run the 18 inch c5z06 rear wheels on all four corners and step up the tread width a whole bunch - 305 F / 315 R. (Note that this will move you to the ASP class.)

Since this will be your DD, something very important to keep in mind is the suspension set up. If you want good AX performance, you'll need to get the car's geometry (alignment) set up for a combination of street and AX. You need something that is tolerable on tire wear for the street. Because the z51 wheels/tires are narrower, I can run a set up on the z51 that has a half degree more negative camber than I can on the wide body, and I still maintain reasonable tire wear on the street. Camber is a big player in the handling for AX. When you start pushing past neg 1.5 / neg 1.6 degrees of camber on the wide body front end, you'll use up a lot of tire on the street - and it will be the inside edge only. Expensive!

The GS and the z51 both have the preferred tranny for AX. They won't give you the 2nd gear "dead pedal" you get with the c6z06 at lower RPM's. (A lot of guys stick with the c5z because of the gear ratios as well.)

Knowing the venues you will be running (narrow/short course vs wide/long course) is something to consider.

Soooo... Just more stuff to throw on the already complicated consideration pile. Not saying one is better than the other - just pointing out my experience from driving both cars. They are both high end performers. No matter which car you choose, you are going to have a huge grin on your face when you get out there and romp down on the gas pedal!
Wow thank you for such a long and detailed post, some really good points in there.

When it comes to the venues that I race at there are really only two; one is a fairly small parking lot (benefiting the narrow body) and the other is a nice airport runway (benefiting the wide body) so no points to either car there unfortunately.

Your right that 100lbs isn't much but none the less when your going for your absolute best time 100+ lbs is still 100+ lbs (no passengers for these passes either ).

I will probably only do one or two track days per season so your right about the dry sump not being a decision maker.

There seems to be more options when it comes to tires for the narrow body and more importantly the tries are a fair bit cheaper for the narrow body too. I was thinking of doing a season or maybe even two on a decent max performance summer tire such as the Hankook Ventus EVO's before getting a second set of wheels with A6's mounted.

Thats a good point regarding the camber setup, I never really thought of that with such a wide tire being street driven you have to be careful.

Thanks again for your post.

Get notified of new replies

To Which is Best for Auto-X Base w/ Z51 or GS?

Quick Reply: Which is Best for Auto-X Base w/ Z51 or GS?