Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier R6's (Highway Use)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hoosier R6's (Highway Use)

Ive searched and there are a lot of mixed reviews on this? There's some members that say, how its fine on the highway to tracks. Then there are other members who are adamant that the safety is also in the construction and they arent safe? That they puncture to drive on?

Im looking for a tire that will give we GREAT traction on the street, but not drive around on drag slicks. Im very interested in these tires and figured I'd ask you guys. I know I can get NT05R's but figured Id get some more opinions on REAL experiences. Not people just talking about what they think. I know many of you commute to the tracks without trailers so Im all ears

Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

NT05 and Toyo R888 experience here... Toyos best track performance but wear quickly on street ... and if it rains on the way there .... Forget it speeds must drop when they are new. When they really start getting good on the track they offer 0 hydroplane resistance and are very dangerous on street.

I am running R6 on the track and now they would offer no rain traction. As far as puncture resistance .... they are more vulnerable because there is no tread to absorb a puncture. Think about your PS2 tire you have a good hunk of tread on the tire before it goes into the air holding portion of the tire.... But a R6 does not have that and with the softer compound it may be more vulnerable to a object then the harder street tires.

I stick with used craigslist list tires for street. My track alignment settings kill tires and it is very rare I find the corning limit safely on the street with any tire, so in my use not too worried about high traction on street and I save R6 for track only.

but net here is you could do it ... More vulnerable .. Yes Good street traction Yes ... Better options for street / track Yes Toyo and NT05
Old 01-05-2012, 06:36 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
NT05 and Toyo R888 experience here... Toyos best track performance but wear quickly on street ... and if it rains on the way there .... Forget it speeds must drop when they are new. When they really start getting good on the track they offer 0 hydroplane resistance and are very dangerous on street.

I am running R6 on the track and now they would offer no rain traction. As far as puncture resistance .... they are more vulnerable because there is no tread to absorb a puncture. Think about your PS2 tire you have a good hunk of tread on the tire before it goes into the air holding portion of the tire.... But a R6 does not have that and with the softer compound it may be more vulnerable to a object then the harder street tires.

I stick with used craigslist list tires for street. My track alignment settings kill tires and it is very rare I find the corning limit safely on the street with any tire, so in my use not too worried about high traction on street and I save R6 for track only.

but net here is you could do it ... More vulnerable .. Yes Good street traction Yes ... Better options for street / track Yes Toyo and NT05
Where are you all getting these Toyo's?

The NT05R I may get, Ill need to check out Toyo's.

Another one Im considering is the sport cups. I dont want to have traction issues on the street and Mini-tubbing will come in time. I can pull over in the rain, but I am worried about punctures
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I drive mine to the track, sometimes several hours each way. I've got caught in the rain and thought the slicks did pretty well. I've even driven in the snow.

Had a funny in the shop, set my magnet tool on a fairly worn down A6, tried to pick it up and noticed it was stuck to the tire!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
Where are you all getting these Toyo's?

The NT05R I may get, Ill need to check out Toyo's.

Another one Im considering is the sport cups. I dont want to have traction issues on the street and Mini-tubbing will come in time. I can pull over in the rain, but I am worried about punctures
bought my one set of Toyos off a forum member a while back ... NT05 from tire rack ... and now R6 from JB racing tires (used scrubs) I use a 18" square setup on C5 Z wheels.

You looking for straight line acceleration or cornering max grip on street?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I drive mine to the track, sometimes several hours each way. I've got caught in the rain and thought the slicks did pretty well. I've even driven in the snow.

Had a funny in the shop, set my magnet tool on a fairly worn down A6, tried to pick it up and noticed it was stuck to the tire!
I read A6's heat up a lot faster than R6's. Do you think R6's can take some bumps and some long drives without overheating? I remember someone taking measurements of the tires after a drive and they weren't all that hot.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I've done it
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
bought my one set of Toyos off a forum member a while back ... NT05 from tire rack ... and now R6 from JB racing tires (used scrubs) I use a 18" square setup on C5 Z wheels.

You looking for straight line acceleration or cornering max grip on street?
A tire that would be great for straight line (getting on the highway) but also a tire that doesnt have such a huge sidewall that it effects corning. Not ready to go to 345 yet so I was hoping to grab a sticky tire and use it on the street.

Thanks for contributing btw
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have run kumho v710's on the road and there was no issues
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rob P
I have run kumho v710's on the road and there was no issues
For how long?(time and miles)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

In my opinion R6s will heat cycle out with regular street use to the point that they will offer no better grip than most performance street tires, but you will still have all the other R6 liabilities.

I got some Toyo RA1s for my Caddy CTS-V. Those tires have at least a modicum of grooving and the rubber compound gets faster with age and heat cycles unlike almost every other fast tire out there.

Oli
Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Real world R6 experiences; drove 150 miles each way to the track many times, there is no problem that a little common sense can't solve. Be cautious when it is cold outside(the tires never reach working temps on the street) because there is much less traction than a street tire. If it starts raining, I slow down to 50-55 mph on a well drained highway otherwise just pull over until the rain subsides.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Olitho
In my opinion R6s will heat cycle out with regular street use to the point that they will offer no better grip than most performance street tires, but you will still have all the other R6 liabilities.

I got some Toyo RA1s for my Caddy CTS-V. Those tires have at least a modicum of grooving and the rubber compound gets faster with age and heat cycles unlike almost every other fast tire out there.

Oli
Oli Thanks for the info on the R6, really sums it up. It may be because its getting late but I dont understand the second part of what you said Are you saying the Toyo RA1's are great? and would be something I should consider? If so where would be the best place to get them?

Thanks for the detailed response

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Real world R6 experiences; drove 150 miles each way to the track many times, there is no problem that a little common sense can't solve. Be cautious when it is cold outside(the tires never reach working temps on the street) because there is much less traction than a street tire. If it starts raining, I slow down to 50-55 mph on a well drained highway otherwise just pull over until the rain subsides.
That comment makes me feel it would be useless for me to use these on the street I dont mind pulling over when it rains though.

Keep the suggestions coming guys.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I recommend the michilin Pilot sport Cup tires... I run the PS2 tire in everyday use and then when I drive to the track I throw on my CUP tires... No problem with getting caught in the rain, and on the track, they are awesome...
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by andy3101
I recommend the michilin Pilot sport Cup tires... I run the PS2 tire in everyday use and then when I drive to the track I throw on my CUP tires... No problem with getting caught in the rain, and on the track, they are awesome...
Been considering those too
Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Jspas
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run toyo r888 on the street and track for the the last 3 yrs
did 10 track days last year and it's between 400-600 miles round trip to the tracks. they are a great street tire ,first set lasted 7,000 miles and 7 track days.
In 2009 and 2010 i used them on my daily driver that put 40,000miles a year. I would get almost 30,000 miles out of them(r888) on my 2008 evolutionX.
But, by no way are they as good as mickey thompson et drag radial for anything short of pushing the car very hard on turns or mountain roads
you give up some in the turns but they make up for it off the line and anything straight..(I ran a 8.25@176 in 1/4mile on a set of 275/60r15 in a 3600lb mustang full street car)they are great tires!(et radials)
now have been using for the last couple months r6 and a6 tires
have driven about 500 miles on the street with the r6 and think it sucks compaired to the r888 on the street they never get hot enough to have any fun.
I have yet try the a6 on the street,but as short of life they have on the track i would think it would be a waste of time on the street.(but they where 5 sec.faster on a short track over the toyo r888)
I ran the toyo RA1 from 2006-2009 on my 2006 evolution went thru 3 sets of them in 90,000miles. they lasted forever on the street but they have a soft sidewall and the steering feel was not as good as the toyo R888..
Just my input...
hope it helps
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jspas
I have run toyo r888 on the street and track for the the last 3 yrs
did 10 track days last year and it's between 400-600 miles round trip to the tracks. they are a great street tire ,first set lasted 7,000 miles and 7 track days.
In 2009 and 2010 i used them on my daily driver that put 40,000miles a year. I would get almost 30,000 miles out of them(r888) on my 2008 evolutionX.
But, by no way are they as good as mickey thompson et drag radial for anything short of pushing the car very hard on turns or mountain roads
you give up some in the turns but they make up for it off the line and anything straight..(I ran a 8.25@176 in 1/4mile on a set of 275/60r15 in a 3600lb mustang full street car)they are great tires!(et radials)
now have been using for the last couple months r6 and a6 tires
have driven about 500 miles on the street with the r6 and think it sucks compaired to the r888 on the street they never get hot enough to have any fun.
I have yet try the a6 on the street,but as short of life they have on the track i would think it would be a waste of time on the street.(but they where 5 sec.faster on a short track over the toyo r888)
I ran the toyo RA1 from 2006-2009 on my 2006 evolution went thru 3 sets of them in 90,000miles. they lasted forever on the street but they have a soft sidewall and the steering feel was not as good as the toyo R888..
Just my input...
hope it helps
So in the end you suggest a mickey thompson?

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier R6's (Highway Use)

Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by andy3101
I have limited experience with the PS Cup tires, but don't you find they heat cycle rather quickly?

Also, I find at least in California you can heat cycle out a tire pretty easily just driving around on warm asphalt. On a 90+ degree day with the sun overhead you can get temps on asphalt well past 100 degrees. if you then go on a drive the tire temps easily get up into the heat cycle range and tires like the R6 will become hardened and useless for the track well before the grooves are gone.

I love A6 tires, but I would never drive them on the street. They are way too fragile for all the crap on the street. The same for the R6.

R888s I never really liked either. I think the RA-1 is a much better tire.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

PS. TiresDirect.net had my 275/35x18 Toyo RA1s for the CTS-V for only $236 each in December.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Ok so its RA-1 and Mickey Thompson ET's in the front.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6's (Highway Use)