Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Harness Bar Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 AM
CliffyDeuce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6Z Harness Bar Questions

I did the Nevada Open Road Challenge last year and had a great time. To move up to faster speeds, I'll have to install a harness bar and harnesses (I've got a 2009 Z06, if it matters). A couple of questions for those with experience with harness bars:

I sit with the seat all the way back (adjusted fully aft, then reclined as far as it goes). Will the harness bar be in the way? Do some of them provide more room than others? In pictures, it looks like they all have lots of room, but it's really hard to tell without seeing one in person.

The Brey-Krause harness bar looks a lot "beefier" than others, plus they mention that it meets crash-test standards (or something to that effect). It's also much more expensive. Any thoughts on the other bars? Has anyone seen one that's been involved in a front-end collision?

Once I figure out the harness bar, I'll have to figure out the harness. I'll probably be stuck using them with the stock seat, at least this year (assuming I can make it), as I'm deployed through mid-Apr and don't think I'll have time to find and install seats in that time.

Thanks for any info you've got!

Cliffy
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

To my knowledge all the bars mount to the same bolts in the A-pillars, so there should be no difference in its position in relation to the seat back. The BK bar has angular welds that are supposed to increase rigidity. The harness loops around the wide part of the bar so there is no difference there.

With regard to stock seats - you must maintain proper harness position inorder for the harness to work properly. Otherwise you may injure yourself in an accident. Page 18 in the following document from the Scroth website provides a good visual: http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf

In addition to support, that is why most change out the stock seats and to an aftermarket seat with its provisions in the back of the seat for the shoulder straps and bottom for sub-strap(s). To run GT or GS in the Big Bend Open RR you need a 5/6 point harness which means you need a sub-slot. Not sure about your event but suspect it is the same. Plus if you decide to run the car on a track - you may have trouble clearing tech with stock seats and a harness, depend on who is running the event.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the Hardbar Harness Bar in my C6Z, it will not let you put the seat all the way back and reduces the amount that you can lay the seat back. They do offer and an offset mount to help with this but I have never tried it. I finally took it out of my car because it was mainly a street car and my wife got tired of not being able to let her seat recline all the way back.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a Brey-Krause bar. I'll mount it in the car today and get back to you this evening on whether or not it will allow the seats to go full back.

It sounds like you're tall if this is an issue. I'm 6-3 w/ a 33 inseam, 38 waist and 230 lbs. I have the Sparco Evo Plus 2 seats and they work great. I gained a lot of head room with fixed brackets from Piper Motorsports. Finding the right seat is a real challenge. I got lucky on the first try.

Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 02:38 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

With the Brey-Krause harness bar and the seat all the way back, it's essentially line-to-line. The seat latch is against the bar. For HPDEs, I generally position the seat up about 1-2 inches then rotate the rear of the cushion as far down as possible and recline to get as much headroom as possible. In this position, there's interference.
Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I've got the BK harness bar in my C6 (same part as the C6Z) with stock seats. I modified the seat to use a Dodge Viper ACR seat insert which allows the harness to pass through the seat just like it's intended to be used. Here's a pic... Looks almost stock and fully functional.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The Sharkbar is set back further than the Hardbar and is also lower so it provides a proper path for the harnesses over your shoulder. BK does a good job as well. I switched from the Hardbar to the Sharkbar due to the height of the Hardbar which forced me to raise my Ultarshield Race seat to the point it was jammed against the roof of the car. That still didn't get my shoulders high enough for the shoulder harness to hold my HANS on my shoulders properly.

Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Sharkbar is set back further than the Hardbar and is also lower so it provides a proper path for the harnesses over your shoulder. BK does a good job as well. I switched from the Hardbar to the Sharkbar due to the height of the Hardbar which forced me to raise my Ultarshield Race seat to the point it was jammed against the roof of the car. That still didn't get my shoulders high enough for the shoulder harness to hold my HANS on my shoulders properly.

Bill
I got giged at a NASA tech last year because the bar was above the shoulders. For proper fit the bar should equal to or just below the crown of your shoulder. I ended up missing 3/4 of the day and had to raise the seat about 1.5"......
I don't wory about this now with a partial cage installed
Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Had a hardbar, switched to BK bar and got more clearance.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman57
I got giged at a NASA tech last year because the bar was above the shoulders. For proper fit the bar should equal to or just below the crown of your shoulder. I ended up missing 3/4 of the day and had to raise the seat about 1.5"......
I don't wory about this now with a partial cage installed
I take it you mean the Hardbar not the Sharkbar which does meet that requirement.

Bill
Old 01-09-2012, 11:55 AM
CliffyDeuce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the inputs. I'd like to get a different seat that I could put in for events and put the stock one back in afterwards, I'm just worried I won't have enough time after I get back from my deployment. In the stock seat, with the rear of the seat down all the way, a helmet should fit, but will probably rub the headliner (haven't tried it on, but have a bit of room over my head).

I have to keep the seat all the way back, as I'm 6'3" with a 36 to 37 inseam. I'll have to look into the Sparco Evo Plus 2 - I'm a bit lighter at about 200 lbs, but have a 37-38 inch waist, so it sounds like it should fit me. It sure would be nice to sit in one before buying it though...

I didn't take very good notes last year, but I seem to remember a bunch of the guys running GT and GS having 5 or 6-pt harnesses w/ stock-looking seats. I also know the rules are generally similar or the same to the Big Bend event, so I'm wondering now if I just wasn't paying enough attention, or maybe they let them slide on tech? Wish I'd gotten emails from some of those guys...

Thanks again for all the inputs - I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get closer to getting home.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by CliffyDeuce
Thanks all for the inputs. I'd like to get a different seat that I could put in for events and put the stock one back in afterwards, I'm just worried I won't have enough time after I get back from my deployment. In the stock seat, with the rear of the seat down all the way, a helmet should fit, but will probably rub the headliner (haven't tried it on, but have a bit of room over my head).

I have to keep the seat all the way back, as I'm 6'3" with a 36 to 37 inseam. I'll have to look into the Sparco Evo Plus 2 - I'm a bit lighter at about 200 lbs, but have a 37-38 inch waist, so it sounds like it should fit me. It sure would be nice to sit in one before buying it though...

I didn't take very good notes last year, but I seem to remember a bunch of the guys running GT and GS having 5 or 6-pt harnesses w/ stock-looking seats. I also know the rules are generally similar or the same to the Big Bend event, so I'm wondering now if I just wasn't paying enough attention, or maybe they let them slide on tech? Wish I'd gotten emails from some of those guys...

Thanks again for all the inputs - I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get closer to getting home.
Cliffy,
I believe the setup that I have will work for you. Sparco Evo Plus 2 on the Piper Motorsports rails. I have more than sufficient lag room w/ a 32 inseam and you will have lots of headroom. BTW, the Piper Motorsports brackets are FIXED, not sliders.

Hopefully, someone near you with a similar configuration will chime in.

Jim
Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I take it you mean the Hardbar not the Sharkbar which does meet that requirement.

Bill
Bill I had the BK at the time

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Harness Bar Questions

Quick Reply: C6Z Harness Bar Questions