Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rookie Question

I picked up a full time track car for this year and it has an Accusump. When I picked up the car I took notes and everything, but they are no where to be found now. I remember how to start up the Accusump but dont remember how to make sure it is empty to change the oil. Any help will be appreciated>
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

There are a couple of things you can do. I usually remove the oil drain plug and then the oil filter. After letting all of that oil drain, I turn on the accusump. You will see more oil drain out. When no more oil comes out, then there is no more in the accusump.

Is this car from Phoenix? Often they place the accusump in the driver's side front fender with the pressure gauge at the top. You can see the gauge by peaking through where the door attaches to the frame by the hinges. Take note of the pressure on the gauge before opening the accusump. When the accusump is empty, the gauge should read somewhere around 7 psi if I recall correctly. If the accusump is empty (no more oil pressure) and the accsump doesn't still have some air pressure in it, then it may need to be recharged. You can find instructions and info here:

http://www.accusump.com/accusump_tech.html

Last edited by MySR71; 01-07-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

John, I have been told that you may want to put the oil drain plug back in before actuating the accusump. I understand there is the possibility for a real mess. Perhaps the key on activates it? Try it and check your oil level. I have a switch for on and off on the pump. Of course, the key has to be on, too.

As far as pressure, Danny has mine set to 40psi. Pressurize after the oil is completely purged.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When filling the engine oil back up, don't forget to put a little more in, rev the engine to get oil pressure back up with Accusump ON, then turn it off, turn off engine, and check level again. It will have dropped and you can now fill it up to the required level with the Accusump full.

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie Question

Quick Reply: Rookie Question