Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon

Anyone going to run the Tail of the Dragon right after Labor Day, 2012? I'm planning on towing my '76 there and running it two days that week after the kids and their parents are all back to school and it would be fun if there were a group doing it. It's nearly a 500 mile drive for me each way so I'll use a Uhaul trailer and tow the vette there behind my 2008 Trailblazer SS with it's Vette LS2 engine and 4:10 rear end.

I live in Chester, Va.

Lance P.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I've done it a few times one being a day trip, 8 hours there and 8 hours back.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Our local Corvette group did the Dragon last year, it was ok. To me the other roads in the area are much better to drive. The Dragon is something everyone should do at least once. Some of the other members loved it and went back through it the next day
Have fun
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i spent years haunting the west virginia mountain roads back in the day on my bike..had many trips planned to deals gap but never made it allways had too much fun closer to home good riders would hang out in the mountans on rt 50 in WV actually did some knee dragin... always thought you couldnt get enuph heat in the tires to do that on the street yzf600r was a tall bike had friends that did the dragon lots of posers and fakes hitting trees and gardrails...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Rednels
Instructor

Im from Knoxville TN so I get up there quite often, but I must say, there are better roads.

That said, the Dragon is a blast and the speeds are slow enough that you won't kill yourself. Traffic can be a bitch at times as well as law enforcement.

While you are here you really need to hit the Cherohala skyway. It is my favorite around here. Its 34 miles of pure driving pleasure and the views are amazing. Plus its really close to the Dragon.

Just my $.02. Have fun and be safe.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LancePearson
Anyone going to run the Tail of the Dragon right after Labor Day, 2012? I'm planning on towing my '76 there and running it two days that week after the kids and their parents are all back to school and it would be fun if there were a group doing it. It's nearly a 500 mile drive for me each way so I'll use a Uhaul trailer and tow the vette there behind my 2008 Trailblazer SS with it's Vette LS2 engine and 4:10 rear end.

I live in Chester, Va.

Lance P.

It might be worth waiting until the hillclimb event. From what Ive heard the cops take all the fun out of driving there on regular days...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rednels
Im from Knoxville TN so I get up there quite often, but I must say, there are better roads.

That said, the Dragon is a blast and the speeds are slow enough that you won't kill yourself. Traffic can be a bitch at times as well as law enforcement.

While you are here you really need to hit the Cherohala skyway. It is my favorite around here. Its 34 miles of pure driving pleasure and the views are amazing. Plus its really close to the Dragon.
Just my $.02. Have fun and be safe.

I used to live in Chattanooga. Two suggestions: Avoid weekends if at all possible, and keep ur group to 3 or less. More than that the accordian effect kicks in and takes the fun right out of it.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

I think the Cherohola Parkway is very similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway here..speed limit 45 mph and runs along the ridge of the blue ridge mountains starting at Waynesboro, the lower limit of the Skyline drive, and I drive it with my 76 Vette the 40 miles S. of Waynesboro then turn E. onto route 60 and head back to Richmond. The 20 mile drive down and out of the mountains on Route 60 to Amherst where the speed limit is 55 mph is twisty, pretty and until you get to Amherst, just one of the good drives around.

Another here is the "nickel and dime" ride...from Chester, Va. cross the Benjamin Harrison bridge to Route 5, head east to the Jamestown Ferry, cross on the ferry, take route 10 back to Chester...about 85 miles of 55 mph speed limit two lane road with beautiful view, modest traffic and some turns at 35-45 mph. I drive it at an average of 62-65 with the Vette, pass at 90 or so occasionally, take the turns at 60 just like there was no speed signs and sometime more..assuming dry pavement and no snow, of course.

My 76 isn't fast but it sure is a little Octupus with 16 arms full of suckers gripping the road.

I plan to camp in Robbinsville after pulling the Vette there, drive the Vette up to Deal's Gap, learn the road a little, drive it back, drive it back up to Deals then do the Cherahola Parkway then return and by then I'll have concentrated enough for one day. Will do the second day depending on what I've seen on the first day! Will then move on with Vette in tow on trailer behind me to Great Smokie and spend a day or two there being sedate with the Vette.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Rednels
Instructor

The police are out in force on the Dragon on weekends. Weekdays are the time to seriously run the Dragon, or really really early in the morning.

The Cherohalaya Skyway doesn't have nearly as much law enforcement and its a great mix of sweeping turns and semi-tight turns with a few good straights. Its nothing like the Dragon which is one switchback after another.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are towing in from another area, spend the extra time and go over to The Snake as well. It is the area where Hwy 421 goes through Shady Valley, TN. Less crowded and MUCHO fun!!!

http://www.421thesnake.com/
Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default good thought

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
If you are towing in from another area, spend the extra time and go over to The Snake as well. It is the area where Hwy 421 goes through Shady Valley, TN. Less crowded and MUCHO fun!!!

http://www.421thesnake.com/
The snake is almost like the route 60 as it enters/exits the blue ridge parkway from Amherst, Va. to the Parkway...gain in elevation of about 1800', 55 mph speed limits, plenty of turns and two lane not heavily traveled road in beautiful country.

I might try the snake on the way back. Am planning a couple runs on the Dragon, the Cherahola Parkway a couple times and there is one other one I've been told of from Deal's gap then after two days in that area up into the Great Smokie Mtn. National Park as I have never been there. Will camp a couple days there and cruise the park with the Vette more sedately then put it on the trailer and head home. If there's time, will stop at the Snake a day.

Thanks.

Lance

Get notified of new replies

To Tail of the Dragon

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon