Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing a ZR1 - plyons and front carbon

Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Autocrossing a ZR1 - plyons and front carbon

Hi, just wondering if anyone has punted pylons on the front or sides of a ZR1.

Any marks? or anything worse?

I tried searching here and the ZR1 section and found nothing so thought I would ask.

Brian
Old 01-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Don't know about the front carbon fiber but I know the LG Carbon Fiber side skirts don't like cones. Saw one shattered into thousands of pieces after the driver hit a cone with the side of the car when cutting too close to the cone.

Bill
Old 01-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't say about the GM splitter but my APR had no issues when I hit a cone at 85MPH when I got of line a bit and managed to clip one last season at MPH
Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Well, I have been autocrossing for 25 years and I do my best to try not hit any cones but it happens now and then.

Guess maybe taking off the carbon would be a not bad idea if it is a possibility that the sides or front might shatter.

I recently seen a low mile red 09 ZR1 that never had the skirts installed from the factory.

Thanks for the replies.. more are welcome.

Brian
Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Carbonm Fiber material can be a very strong material. The amount of strength, durability depends on the degree of carbon fiber used. Aircraft and automotive carbon fiber materials are supposed to be strong enough to resist impacts, especially from a cone. I wouldn't think GM would use a cheap, low grade carbon fiber, but don't know. I would bet you would be okay to leave your parts on the car. Besides, if you can afford a ZR1 you can afford to replace a splitter.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

They really won't have an affect at autox speeds. I would spend the 30 mins pulling them off instead of spending a few grand replacing them.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
They really won't have an affect at autox speeds. I would spend the 30 mins pulling them off instead of spending a few grand replacing them.
If the course is bumpy the front splitter can be at risk due to the car bottoming out under hard braking going over the bumps or just hitting a bump at speed.

Bill
Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a member of this group once told me;"You gotta decide if you wanna wax it or race it."
Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Californiapch
Instructor

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Besides, if you can afford a ZR1 you can afford to replace a splitter.
Well, I am in my mid 40's ( could just afford the car ) and prefer not to replace the splitter or sides.

Originally Posted by whatcop?
I kinda like that idea, one autocross with the Porsche club see's some much higher speeds.

I hardly hit plyons but it still happens.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If the course is bumpy the front splitter can be at risk due to the car bottoming out under hard braking going over the bumps or just hitting a bump at speed.

Bill
Ya, good point.

I have only slightly rubbed the bottom 5 or 6 time leaving lots ( at an angle ) and you have to be careful with this car.

Originally Posted by Jim_Harrison
As a member of this group once told me;"You gotta decide if you wanna wax it or race it."
I do both......... P21S or Zaino and I get Hoosier A's or Kumho V710's are drive the **** out of my cars....... except my Z06 as the goodyears sucked, had to hold back. My main race car is not a Corvette.

Most of the time a top 5 driver and think this car with Hoosiers might bump me up a bit higher up the ladder.

Thanks again for all the replies......

Brian
Old 01-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

For what its worth I have hit the cone coming out of the Complex going out on the straight at ACS. Both times I just clipped it. Both times it broke the small aero/inner front fender liner needing replacement. The last time it also fractured the fiber glass about one inch in front of the liner on front facia. I may need glasses ...............

DH
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

standard orange cones are a lot harder when it gets colder. so if you want to minimize the chance of damage, I guess you can limit your auto-X outings to warmer months...
Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

remove it, or run a cheap replica fiberglass or plastic one, and save the nicer cf piece...

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing a ZR1 - plyons and front carbon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocrossing a ZR1 - plyons and front carbon