Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans Device ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hans Device ?

For those using a Hans device... what do you think? I'm looking at buying a Sport II. Are they easy to wear and get used to? I'm sure it's easier to get used to than a cervical spine injury ..... I have 3 inch Sparco 6pt. Do I need to change to the Hans sized harness?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I have the regular HANS (not the carbon fiber Professional) and when its on and I am strapped in I dont even know its there. It is very comfortable, even from the first time I used it. I also have the sliding tethers which help with head rotation. I also use 3" wide belts and have not had an issue.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

3" is what hans recs. 2" and the 4 shoulder strap belts have advantages . I use a pro model in carbon fiber. I was surprised at how heavy the sport was. If you never try the pro you will be fine. Don't even try on a pro if you buy the sport. Huge advantage with hans bec some sactioning bodies want to follow SFI 2 or 5 yr rule for recerts or whatever but FIA has no recert and hans carries FIA sticker so once you buy one you are good to go with no later hassles. So hans is the hot ticket for SCCA for example. Other sfi 38.1 devices might also be FIA certified you'll have to figure that out yourself.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a Defender.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:48 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Last C5
Get a Defender.
Defender? What's that?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Hans works great and is easy for me to use.

Jim
Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think HANS has always been the standard but thats because they didn't have any competition up until now. I tried both the HANS and the Defender on at a local performance show and I preferred the feel of the Defender so thats what I went with. East Coast Supercharging (Forum vendor) carries them.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by GettReal
I think HANS has always been the standard but thats because they didn't have any competition up until now. I tried both the HANS and the Defender on at a local performance show and I preferred the feel of the Defender so thats what I went with. East Coast Supercharging (Forum vendor) carries them.
Did you try the HANS while strapped in or just resting on your shoulders? You can't tell it is there when you are strapped in, but it does move around when you are out of the car. Im not trying to argue, just curious.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the "Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro"
Specs on this device looked good. I would suggest you take a look before you buy...... Looks to me to be the next generation of neck restraints. And I thought the Defender was not SFI rated

Just my .02
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm going with a Safety Solutions R3. The Hans is good and I've used it many times but what I like about the R3 is I can use it when I'm instructing in my students cars and they just have the regular seatbelts as well. Hans can only be used with Harnesses.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

I use the carbon professional version and when you are strapped into the car you don't even notice you have anything on. I don't think the Defender is FIA or SFI rated but I could be wrong. The HANS device is the original and the industry standard, it isn't going to get any safer than a HANS device. That said if you plan on instructing a HANS won't work too well for that.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Fellas... thanks for all the great info!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 PM
MJM
Drifting

HANS is the best and used by professional race series.

With the sliding tethers you don't know it's there. Make sure your seat will still fit with on.

Matt
Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

You know those sfi stickers are 5 bucks a piece if you pump out2600 units a day wow!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
I have the regular HANS (not the carbon fiber Professional) and when its on and I am strapped in I dont even know its there. It is very comfortable, even from the first time I used it. I also have the sliding tethers which help with head rotation. I also use 3" wide belts and have not had an issue.
Ditto. We have Hans specific belts. I'd feel naked without the Hans now.

Feff
Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
Get a Defender.
You can no longer buy new Defender units, HANS finally sued them out of production.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevensa
You can no longer buy new Defender units, HANS finally sued them out of production.
I thought that too

Get notified of new replies

To Hans Device ?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I use a Safety Solutions (Simpson) R3. It is the best option for instructors and people that want protection when in a car without 5/6/7pt harnesses. If you go this route, spend the extra money on the sliding cable tether. You WILL retain full range of motion of your head from left to right.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck/r3.html

-Kevin
Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I can honestly say I would be dead right now without my HANS and Racetech Head Restraint seat.

That said, I had the carbon model for the past 9+ years. I put it on in the car on the first day in the garage and HATED IT WITH A PASSION. Bothered me that much. But, for my family, I do the best I can for safety and took it to the first race anyway. I put it on in the first practice session and NEVER EVEN NOTICED IT after hitting the track!

I will say I had the original tethers for years, with the quick release pull cords, and switched to the sliding tethers last year. That made a HUGE difference! With them, there was no issue at all.

....saved my life....wouldn't race without one!

Mine even cracked at the base of the neck and I need a new one....HANS said THAT crack is what happens when the device is "used" in an event that would have snapped my neck.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
I can honestly say I would be dead right now without my HANS and Racetech Head Restraint seat.

That said, I had the carbon model for the past 9+ years. I put it on in the car on the first day in the garage and HATED IT WITH A PASSION. Bothered me that much. But, for my family, I do the best I can for safety and took it to the first race anyway. I put it on in the first practice session and NEVER EVEN NOTICED IT after hitting the track!

I will say I had the original tethers for years, with the quick release pull cords, and switched to the sliding tethers last year. That made a HUGE difference! With them, there was no issue at all.

....saved my life....wouldn't race without one!

Mine even cracked at the base of the neck and I need a new one....HANS said THAT crack is what happens when the device is "used" in an event that would have snapped my neck.
That is the best reason to get one.... Hopefully I will never need it, just like the fire extinguishers...

Quick Reply: Hans Device ?