Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to land a co-drive at a national tour?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to land a co-drive at a Solo National tour?

Lookin to find a co-drive for a nat tour event in 2012. Whats the first step?

I realize this question is very vague, but so am I at this point.

Last edited by Alludc; 01-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Alludc
Lookin to find a co-drive for a nat tour event in 2012. Whats the first step?

I realize this question is very vague, but so am I at this point.
It depends.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Alludc
Pro

Originally Posted by Falcon
It depends.
perfect
Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

If you need a geriatric wore out circle track bum, I'm the man for the job!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:19 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I assume by the way that you hav worded your question, you are looking to drive someone else's car and not looking for someone to drive yours.

There's a few different angles.

Sometimes someone relatively new to the sport or relatively new to Tour or higher level competition will look for a benchmark or assistance. So a more accomplished driver will be sought by the car owner. The "ringer" may bring assistance in the form of providing tires for the event (probably tires that they have won as prizes) or helping out financially.

Sometimes someone relatively new will want to drive another person's car. If that person doesn't have a track record or a known reputation, then it becomes a financial transaction. Again, providing tires for the event or financial (entry fee + ).

In my case, I've shared cars with a variety of people over the past 15 years or so (either I've owned or they've owned). My co-drivers are always good friends that I've made through autocrossing. The arrangement is for the season and each of us brings something different to the "team". Could be access to a trailer, access to a tow vehicle, one person has a tire deal, etc., and we figure out how to make things work for both of us.

Probably easiest way to start is to work a deal with someone you know well within your local region.

Or you can become a multi-time National Champ and work a bunch of deals where you fly in and jump in a car
Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Bring Money, Lots of it
Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Alludc
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Bring Money, Lots of it

I have 3 kids and no money. why cant I have no kids and 3 money!?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best way is to find someone locally, or regionally that knows you and is looking for some financial support for the trip. Many co-drivers have made arrangements for the year in someone else's car.

If you want to run just one event, in someone's car you don't know, then bring lots of money. With tire prices going up this year...again...a set of A6s for a C5 is running about $1400 without shipping and mounting. Add in entry fee of the car owner, half the gas, and a couple of bucks for good measure and you'll get the idea.

For a regional Tour event expect to pay about $400 and for Nationals it'll end up costing you about $600...if you can find the ride.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Alludc
Pro

be really good, or have a really good wallet. got it.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, like TedDBere and I posted, easiest/cheapest/best way is to work with someone you already know locally and by which you can both benefit. You can assess whether they can help you towards your goal and if they're someone you can put up with.

With each of my co-drivers that I've had, I've learned something that has improved my performance, and so have they. To me, that's more meaningful than money. And, they're all friends before, during, and after the partnership.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

being really good doesn`t "trump" the big checkbook.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post why you would be a good codriver, what you have to offer, experience, past results, etc. Sharing your real name also builds confidence in the car owner too.

Chris Shay
Owner of the C5Z which led day 1 at nationals and who doesn't have a co driver lined up for next seasons national tours or nationals
Old 01-16-2012, 05:56 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post why you would be a good codriver, what you have to offer, experience, past results, etc. Sharing your real name builds confidence in the car owner too.

Chris Shay
Owner of the C5Z which led day 1 at nationals and who doesn't have a co driver lined up for next seasons national tours or nationals
Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Post why you would be a good codriver, what you have to offer, experience, past results, etc. Sharing your real name builds confidence in the car owner too.

Chris Shay
I am thinking he could proof all of your posts and make sure you don't double post. Seems like a great addition to your team.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It used to be the Co-Driver was a tire warmer. At both Topeka sites this seemed to help. At Lincoln this may not be good as Matt Braun brought 3 sets of tires so he would have a cool and clean set for each run. I'm of the belief that the warmer the A-6's the more other people's rubber (OPR) gets picked up at Lincoln plus, the warmer the Hoosiers, the worse they seemd to perform. A second Driver would just compound that issue. So it now be the C0-driver brings extra tires.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Bring Money, Lots of it
I don't think that is enough!

Jim
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Alludc
Pro

"put me in the car Harry, I wont make a fool out of you."
Thats not gonna cut it eh?

I dont have much of a case to plead. Im Todd Holzwarth. You can find about 17 pages of Google on me from my history on the forums from my Discount Tire Direct days (takin care of my forums) and then a few yrs building LSXs for a couple shops. Those were my good old days, now im just an IT geek tryin to catch a ride.

I drifted with the Discount Tire Drift team, Calvin Wan for example although only in practice, never in comp. Ive sporadically autox'd since 1996, at tire rack in south bend in my 92 mustang vert, in phx in the early 00s in my drag setup camaro ss, and now im back to it this yr in my 99 FRC. Im a stats guy. I run my local #s up against the #s of our 2011 nat champs and competitors when we get to it here in town. If #s and comparisons on paper meant anything, I coulda seen 3rd-4th in astock this yr at nats. but thats bench racing at its finest, I had to give you somethin to laugh at tho. (sense of humor)

im a natural driver, with things to learn.
im a driver whos never dedicated enough time or money to the sport, but workin on that now.
I buy and race on well used small hoosiers. my car is stock stock. not astock rules stock, but stock as can be. I pax well. And typically am in the top of the local Astock and SS cars (although locally there are no current nat champs in those classes)
If you know AZ you know im racing with a ton of top notch drivers. A ton of champs. Multi class champs as well.

But if I had one chance to plead my case....Id pull the "where did Dave Ogburn come from?" line and say sometimes the new name can surprise ya.

Wow....woulda been easier to print some fresh benjis.

Last edited by Alludc; 01-18-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to land a co-drive at a national tour?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:02 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 kids and no money. why cant I have no kids and 3 money!?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I coulda seen 3rd-4th in astock this yr at nats.
Whew...good thing you didn't show up last year because that would've moved me to 5th...
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Alludc
Pro

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Whew...good thing you didn't show up last year because that would've moved me to 5th...
Did I mention I can bring a sense of humor to the team? lol

Quick Reply: How to land a co-drive at a national tour?