Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When will it end..... Areo mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default When will it end..... Areo mods

Just when I thought I was close.....

I finished my areo mods with the idea that what I had up front would do fine with the wing I just installed on the rear and maybe it would. I'm afflicted with getting the best possible and I hate to settle even if I don't do it right the first time. So I'm back at it..... matching up the front areo for the best possible package.
I've ordered the World Challenge front facia and the full race undertray that goes with it..... and then I hope I have it right

Who else has moved to this level of areo on their car and looking for your feed back of your results.

snaps of what I have ordered below

Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HAHAHA - you said that like it might ever end!

I just finished an engine build on a Lamborghini Murcielago, got paid, and now I'm doing a splitter, side skirts, spoiler, coilovers, Stoptechs, mufflers, radiator/oil cooler, seats and 4-point bar. Let's just say Louis and Anthony at LG were smiling when running the credit card (though I'll confess not all was bought from them - but a lot of it was) - GREAT guys BTW.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Well what was to be a 3 week delivery turnd to a 8 week delivery for the new CF World Chalange facia and CF undertray. This is NOT a slap on change out from OEM.....
Lots of fitting to the facia and rework to undertray. This is a quality product but not made for production cars with out making some mods. I'm taking the fog lamp area and making this my air inlet for the brake ducts. After fitting and the help from my buddy Mike Quine in his shop we got it off to the paint shop Thursday and is now in the oven

With a little luck it will be on the car and complete by 4/5 and with the first event day on 4/14. This is closer than I was planing, so the shake down will be the day before the event..... Hope I got it close

Here is a snap of it in the paint oven... More to come in the next few days.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

And a phone cam shot as it was fitted at Quine's shop

Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Oooooo pretty!!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 PM
C5-vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice. Your car is looking serious!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice... after seeing the first post I was going to say something about it needing to be trimmed to use OEM headlight, but I see you're well past that. Yes... real race car parts don't need to fit or have the finish of bling bling street car stuff
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CF laguna Under-tray is key and often neglected. Way better than a flat one.

I guess I did mine near 10 years ago at ACP. Drop off and pick up on way to the Glen.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Starting to look like a car again. With the facia on, radiator shroud between radiator and facia.... all custom fab, brake ducting in place.
Now I have to do is finalize the odds and ends then install undertray, fender liners and wahla.... done
Well it sounds easy enough doesn't it

A few snaps with work in progress

Old 04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

That is looking great!

I will give you a little advice on what I have experienced. I don't know if you are going W2W or not, but if so get some paint protective film or something. Brian suggested it to me and I should have put some on mine. Maybe the track at Memphis is worse than others? My front end is getting sandblasted and the windshield too.
The splitter on mine is now 3 1/2 inches off the ground, my front fascia and splitter are F/G the factory fascia is very flexible and I believe can take a lot more abuse. Anyway I didn't mean to hi jack the thread just trying to help

Before;

After 2 qualifying sessions and 2 races;

After mowing the grass yesterday in Memphis and this picture is after I removed several handfuls ended my day due to no air flow

Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Lower splitter 2.5 or less and you would not have been mowing but digging dirt and have some real damage.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BERETTA
That is looking great!

I will give you a little advice on what I have experienced. I don't know if you are going W2W or not, but if so get some paint protective film or something. Brian suggested it to me and I should have put some on mine. Maybe the track at Memphis is worse than others? My front end is getting sandblasted and the windshield too.
The splitter on mine is now 3 1/2 inches off the ground, my front fascia and splitter are F/G the factory fascia is very flexible and I believe can take a lot more abuse. Anyway I didn't mean to hi jack the thread just trying to help

Before;

After 2 qualifying sessions and 2 races;

After mowing the grass yesterday in Memphis and this picture is after I removed several handfuls ended my day due to no air flow

I was thinking about some body film but I wanted to let the paint harden a bit... 30 days or so, but after looking at yours I my speed that up some. Dang that is alot of pits for 2 weekends..... you may want to try staying in front of the pack
Just kiddin... I realy like your car and it's a damn shame to have it marked up like that in a short time. What are you using for a grill cover looks like fiberglass?

Best
G
Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Lower splitter 2.5 or less and you would not have been mowing but digging dirt and have some real damage.
Thats the truth, John is your splitter at 2 1/2 inches?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BERETTA
Thats the truth, John is your splitter at 2 1/2 inches?
No I think it 3-3.5. One I know was off a few ti\mes at 2.5 with tons of damage. I only slid off the track twice at 25 mph on a cold wet days. Once at VIR Oak tree and once at Pocono on warm up lap. After seeing my friends car I don't care to get that low.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gman57
I was thinking about some body film but I wanted to let the paint harden a bit... 30 days or so, but after looking at yours I my speed that up some. Dang that is alot of pits for 2 weekends..... you may want to try staying in front of the pack
Just kiddin... I realy like your car and it's a damn shame to have it marked up like that in a short time. What are you using for a grill cover looks like fiberglass?

Best
G
You are right, I was going to do a repaint but after a week or two I started getting over it a little bit. I did build it to race, I still have some waxer in me but I am trying to shake it off. Plus this time of year there is not time to repaint and then let it sit like you are doing, so I will have to wait.
Good advice I try to stay out front but I guess i am too dang slow Sadly I got the majority of the chips going out in the first group at Memphis in March trying to help 2 new racers in a mock race for comp school which as you know requires a lot of following and passing back and forth.
Actually the grille opening material is screen window mesh doubled up. It is pretty dense and the grass clogged it quickly of course you are not supposed to be ingesting grass I am taking that out and going to a stronger material with 1/4 inch square openings, but I am putting some honeycomb material right up against the core of the radiator for extra protection for anything that gets through the screen.

BTW I did pick up some samples of wrap material at a local sign shop, I may try to wrap the splitter in this if I get a chance and test it to see how well wrap material holds up.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
No I think it 3-3.5. One I know was off a few ti\mes at 2.5 with tons of damage. I only slid off the track twice at 25 mph on a cold wet days. Once at VIR Oak tree and once at Pocono on warm up lap. After seeing my friends car I don't care to get that low.
Don't blame you, I started out at 4 1/4 inches, and then went to 3 1/2.
I just got a chance tonight to get under the car, that carbon fiber undertray from kerry is pretty tough, I have some scraps on the left side only where it comes down to attach to the sway bar bracket. When I went off it hit 3 or 4 times pretty hard, thankfully no other damage just some more grass under there....

Get notified of new replies

To When will it end..... Areo mods

Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally replaced the windshield on my white FRC and the one on my ZO6 is so blasted I almost cannot see when the sun hits it right. All race tracks blast your paint. Some worse then others (CMP and Sebring come to mind). Even in front your own tires will chew the paint up. Nice aero on those cars.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM
theworks
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackdog speed shop? How much
Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theworks
Blackdog speed shop? How much
You have several options so.......