Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Technology DL1 MK3 ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Race Technology DL1 MK3 ??

My friend and I picked up one of these a few weeks ago. We have the cable to hook up the OBD11 port. This is on a C5. We can't figure out how to read throttle position, wheel speed, steering angle, rpm, etc. What do we have to do to get this data?

thanks,

Steve A.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I think DL1 needed to be linked to individual sensors. It is the way to do a C5. The OBD2 protocol is all over the map prior to 2008. So I do not think you are going to get anything out of the c5 obd2 port. In fact The AIM guy went to the track and met up with Oli and gang to try to get data from there without success.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just run wires to the TPS, brake pressure, steering angle (x2 inputs and you will need to add math processing to these 2 inputs to get the angle) and oil pressure.
Have you called Al at Race Tech? He may be able to help, but as mentioned OBD2 cars aren't great for datalogging (vs the 06+ CAN cars).
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you get this figured out, I'm considering the same system for an 05' C6.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrytx
Did you get this figured out, I'm considering the same system for an 05' C6.
My friend figured it all out for a C5. Yours would be different.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless you have a CAN bus car, you still won't get steering angle or brake pressure from an OBD adapter. Cheaper and easy to pick signals directly from the sensors.

Also - you cannot read wheel sensor speeds through OBD II port (unless CAN). The DL1 can read this, if you buy a converter (Race Tech sells one, I found one for taxis that will work for $25/each but not useful unless you are fiddling with the diff).

C5 OBD II will only give you TPS, RPM, of the items that you listed.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 05-02-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:49 PM
matchew2008Z
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd-2 data

I'm resurrecting an old thread. I purchased a Dash2Pro late last year and am working to get it installed in the next month. I was hoping to take the easy way out on a number of items (oil p, water temp, rpm, etc) so I ordered the obd2 interface with it but can't get any of this data to the logger or to the live monitor. I hook up my Tech2 and I see everything I need but for some reason no can do with the obd2 that came from race tech any thoughts or help?

I'm going to assume I'm best off tapping into each sensor independently which is doable, just being lazy where I can. Not always smart to take the easy way out...

Thank you.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by matchew2008Z
I'm resurrecting an old thread. I purchased a Dash2Pro late last year and am working to get it installed in the next month. I was hoping to take the easy way out on a number of items (oil p, water temp, rpm, etc) so I ordered the obd2 interface with it but can't get any of this data to the logger or to the live monitor. I hook up my Tech2 and I see everything I need but for some reason no can do with the obd2 that came from race tech any thoughts or help?

I'm going to assume I'm best off tapping into each sensor independently which is doable, just being lazy where I can. Not always smart to take the easy way out...

Thank you.
I have the same Dash in my car - you can't get anything from OBD2. We ran wires to all the factory sensors into the back of the Dash and it works great!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 AM
matchew2008Z
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
I have the same Dash in my car - you can't get anything from OBD2. We ran wires to all the factory sensors into the back of the Dash and it works great!
Appreciate the response. That was a waste of $100!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:42 AM
RS-08C6Z51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a DL1 and the OBD II connector, certain data can be logged and sent to the DASH2Pro. I have this exact set up in my car. RPM, water temp, intake temp and O2 are displayed and additionally throttle position is logged. Unfortunately oil pressure is not one of them but you can splice into the oil pressure sensor and wire into a separate channel on back of DL1. Below is link to potential OBD II output.
Hope this helps.

https://www.race-technology.com/wiki...OutputChannels

Data on video is from OBD II output.

Last edited by RS-08C6Z51; 05-30-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 AM
matchew2008Z
Cruising

Originally Posted by RS-08C6Z51
With a DL1 and the OBD II connector, certain data can be logged and sent to the DASH2Pro. I have this exact set up in my car. RPM, water temp, intake temp and O2 are displayed and additionally throttle position is logged. Unfortunately oil pressure is not one of them but you can splice into the oil pressure sensor and wire into a separate channel on back of DL1. Below is link to potential OBD II output.
Hope this helps.

https://www.race-technology.com/wiki...OutputChannels

Data on video is from OBD II output.

https://vimeo.com/266227495
It seems the difference is I don't have the DL1. I go straight into the DASH2pro, hoping to accomplish same/similar data as the DL1. I'm sure I'll get it to work, just need to put more work into it. Luckily I moved the PCM into the cab so retrieving the signals I need will be easy.

I'm curious, what all signals have you tied in? Any snags along the way that I may want to be aware of? I am still working my way up the learning curve as far as the software is concerned but the knowledge center is pretty good about how to configure things. The great thing about his forum, and an older car, is most have figured out the charts and the formulas for tying our sensors into a data logger!

Darn good video too. I've never been to Mid-Ohio even though I'm from NW Ohio. it's on the bucket list!
Old 05-30-2018, 01:15 PM
RS-08C6Z51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matchew2008Z
It seems the difference is I don't have the DL1. I go straight into the DASH2pro, hoping to accomplish same/similar data as the DL1. I'm sure I'll get it to work, just need to put more work into it. Luckily I moved the PCM into the cab so retrieving the signals I need will be easy.

I'm curious, what all signals have you tied in? Any snags along the way that I may want to be aware of? I am still working my way up the learning curve as far as the software is concerned but the knowledge center is pretty good about how to configure things. The great thing about his forum, and an older car, is most have figured out the charts and the formulas for tying our sensors into a data logger!

Darn good video too. I've never been to Mid-Ohio even though I'm from NW Ohio. it's on the bucket list!
Currently, I don't have any additional sensors connected to the DL1 inputs. On previous car I spliced into the stock oil pressure sensor and wired it into the DL1.

Mid-OH is a blast. You should definitely try and make it out there for an event.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Technology DL1 MK3 ??

Quick Reply: Race Technology DL1 MK3 ??