Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measure brake pressure (psi)? Which sensor?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Measure brake pressure (psi)? Which sensor?

I am not thrilled with how the stock brake sensor works for measuring brake pressure - it does does consistently return to zero and generally seems noisy.

Has anyone measured the actual brake pressure? I am looking at sensors and they seem to come in 0-1000psi and 0-2000 psi. Is the 0-1000psi sensor adequate?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I am not thrilled with how the stock brake sensor works for measuring brake pressure - it does does consistently return to zero and generally seems noisy.

Has anyone measured the actual brake pressure? I am looking at sensors and they seem to come in 0-1000psi and 0-2000 psi. Is the 0-1000psi sensor adequate?

Thanks.
I see at least 1500psi on mine. I have a gauge if you want to borrow it.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Hmmmm.... I haven't found the brake pressure sensor to be particularly noisy. Since I don't have a voltage vs. brake pressure curve, I just leave the sensor's output in volts. You are right though that the voltage doesn't go back to zero when the brakes are off.

Below is one of my traces. The green trace is from the brake pressure sensor. I have spliced into the output signal as well as the ground wire. I route these back to a Universal Sensor Module on my Racepak G2X. I've also spliced into the stop lamp activation switch on the brake pedal. This is the blue trace. When the blue trace is up, I'm actually on the brakes. This lap was taken with car in competition mode. You can see the competition mode working when pressure trace gets fuzzy while I'm not on the brake pedal.

Even zoomed in on the braking zones for turns one and two, it doesn't look bad.

Is the data above similar to what you are seeing? If not, maybe your wires are routed in a fashion that they are getting too much electrical noise.

PS Yes, I know. I need to work on my braking.

Last edited by MySR71; 02-06-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added a second plot.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That gives me hope. My traces looks nothing like yours.

I will route the ground wire from the brake pressure sensor to the DL1, with my trusted twisted pair wire.
I thought the brake switch was useless, but that overlay has given me the idea that I can use it with a math channel to clean up the inconsistent zero pressures.
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

My pleasure. From the brake pressure sensor, I route the wires back to the firewall on the driver's side. I then drilled a small hole in the firewall close to where the hood release cable goes through. Once inside the car, the cable routes under the steering wheel to the center console and then along the center tunnel by the hand brake to the back of the car.

The brake switch likely is useless. I grabbed that switch before I discovered the brake pressure sensor.

I hope it works out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Measure brake pressure (psi)? Which sensor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Measure brake pressure (psi)? Which sensor?