Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sebring 1st time attendee info ALMS 12 hours race

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default sebring 1st time attendee info ALMS 12 hours race

going to try to make it to sebring this year, i am coming by myself most likely so was going to go cheap and maybe rent a van and pitch a tent in the sebring campgrounds. or just sleep in the rental van LOL
since there is showers onsite and i figure what the hell i hear it is quite the party anyways.

any tips for a possible 1st time attender??? was going to rent an rv but no one else was interested or could go along at the time. so figure not worth wasting the $ when i can tent or sleep in the van on a sleeping bag air or air matress since all hotels in area sold out.

has anyone done the VIP pass for all 3 days to get the access to the open bar and food?? might be worth the $ possibly.

thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Frozen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wanted to go this year, it would be my first time also, but couldn't get a hotel. Still interested in renting a RV? lol never even thought of that its a great idea.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:03 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frozen
I really wanted to go this year, it would be my first time also, but couldn't get a hotel. Still interested in renting a RV? lol never even thought of that its a great idea.
worst part is that every good place to fly into is 80 miles away. the rv was around 900 to rent and then there is alot of other charges such as the generator running is like 3/hr etc.. so it would end up being about $1500 to rent it for 4 days
Old 02-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Frozen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
worst part is that every good place to fly into is 80 miles away. the rv was around 900 to rent and then there is alot of other charges such as the generator running is like 3/hr etc.. so it would end up being about $1500 to rent it for 4 days
Wow thats crazy, maybe I'll end up in a tent too!

Your doing all 4 days? Is all 4 days worth it? Having never been to a major race before I'm pretty new to this.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frozen
Wow thats crazy, maybe I'll end up in a tent too!

Your doing all 4 days? Is all 4 days worth it? Having never been to a major race before I'm pretty new to this.
I am planning on getting there wednesday night after like 7 or maybe staying in hotel wednesday night by tampa area then arrving at track thursday-sunday.

going to be hurting sunday after the race and post race activites i am guessing

i went to the ALMS race @ road america and it is a good time but not as cool as sebring!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

http://sebringfans.com/blog/?p=87
Old 02-09-2012, 06:23 AM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you are single, or do not have a significant other with you and have an interest in college girls you may want to buy beads; Sebring is marti gras at a race track.

In 2008, I was working with a team in the paddock, we are doing final prep on a car the night before the race. The car is up on high jacks and we are finalizing the nut and bolt, when a guy without a shirt on runs up to our rig.

"Hey man, do any of you guys have a condom? I could use one... like right now"

It was pretty obvious he stopped what he was doing to run around looking for one, and his best option was to approach a race team who was obviously working on a car and not doubling as a drug store.

Only at Sebring
Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Tips:

Bring sunscreen, hat, light jacket, plan for rain, extra shoes, camera...water....water...water....plan on walking if you don't you will miss alot of stuff.

We will be there in the Corvette corral Fri and Sat...a few of the Canadian guys are coming down again this year and of course a bunch of us from Florida...

its gonna be a party this year as it falls on St Paddys day and its the 60th anniversary...so wear some green

Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Caffeine (or other suitable stimulant), and aspirin. You'll need both.

Set your DVR to record the race, you won't see/remember much.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by pewter99
Tips:

its gonna be a party this year as it falls on St Paddys day and its the 60th anniversary...so wear some green

yeah that is what i was thinking LOL!

jhester that is hilarious, better not let the wife read that or she will think it is too wild and wont want me to go alone
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

get the cheap ticket, walk around the whole time. Buy a cooler/ice and bring your food. It isn't that big so you can bring food/head back to the car (park behind the garage in the infield opposite S/F - good central location).
Stay at the track - traffic is bad on Sat morning.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How wild Sebring is, depends upon where you're at. Greenpark, Turn 10, etc. are crazy, many people there don't even know, or care that there is a race going on. Paddock area, turn 17, etc. is much more race oriented.

In the 1990's sunday's paper would not only carry the race results, but a body count of spectators killed doing stupid stuff (falling out of moving trucks, pinned against trees near a mud bog, etc.). They have been policing it more each year. Do they still allow the giant bonfire, where everyone throws the stuff they aren't taking home? old couches, furniture, even a propane tank have been tossed in the fire. Crazy.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
Tips:

Bring sunscreen, hat, light jacket, plan for rain, extra shoes, camera...water....water...water....plan on walking if you don't you will miss alot of stuff.

We will be there in the Corvette corral Fri and Sat...a few of the Canadian guys are coming down again this year and of course a bunch of us from Florida...

Oh there'll be more than a few of us. The count right now is at 10!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am planning on getting there wednesday night after like 7 or maybe staying in hotel wednesday night by tampa area then arrving at track thursday-sunday.

going to be hurting sunday after the race and post race activites i am guessing

i went to the ALMS race @ road america and it is a good time but not as cool as sebring!
Make sure you say hi this time.....was at RA also last year!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
Make sure you say hi this time.....was at RA also last year!
i will get some t shirts made up with my avatar LOL
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM
GT Racing Tires
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Derek, call me I might be interested in going.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

todd will get in touch tomorrow!

sure you had a heck of a good time @ 24 hrs but sounds like sebring is a whole different atmosphere and no where like the road america campers LOL

Get notified of new replies

To sebring 1st time attendee info ALMS 12 hours race

Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like sebring is a whole different atmosphere and no where like the road america campers LOL

Old 02-10-2012, 01:32 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I suggest staying out of green park unless you like to stay up till 1...2...3am and getting up at 8-9am. Turn 6 to the hairpin usually has some nice folks that camp and hangout. Some good viewing, and if you do get there wednesday night, there is usually plenty of good spots to take up.

Thursday night, stop by Turn 10 and say you're with SebringFans.com. Friday or Saturday, stop by spots 69-70 on the outside of turn one and say hi. I'll have a corvette and LSU flag flying on the back of the RV.

You've got to be prepared for it to be hot as hell during the day, and freakin' cold at night. With our mild winter this year, I expect it to be brutal hot for race week. I sure hope not as the last two years we've had great weather.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:51 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to restate what others said...sunscreen and water are the 2 MOST important items. I would just rent a mini-van, put the seats down and sleep in the back...forget bothering with a tent.

Bring your own beer or beverage of your choice, food, bathrooms and everything else you need is available at the track and it is not that expensive. The key is mobility, you will spend most of you day walking around the track away from your vehicle, so minimal is the key.

Quick Reply: sebring 1st time attendee info ALMS 12 hours race