Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different race seat question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 AM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A different race seat question

I've done a lot of searching, and I haven't found anything. So here's my (hopefully new) question:

I put in a Cobra Suzuka seat in my 07 Z06, using a factory power track, custom brackets, and a Vetteworks plug for the airbag. I moved my original seat module to the race seat and everything works great. No dash lights, full power, memory works, telescoping column works. I even have more headroom and a decent solution for the factory 3 pt system.

But now I'm getting greedy. I took the factory seat, got a new factory seat track and new seat module and bolted it back into the car. The idea is to quickly swap seats. Everything stills works with the factory seat, except the telescoping column. The column works fine with the race seat which has the original seat module. The column does not work with the factory seat with the new seat module.

Anybody know why? Is there some BCM programming that's needed? Will that have to be done each time I swap the seat?

thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You have to reprogram each time you swap seat modules. If you have a scan tool that can do that then it isn't such a big deal but without that type of scan tool you are on your way to the dealer for a reprogram. Not sure why they have to make it so difficult but that is the way it is. I know my seat module is starting to show the wear and tear of swapping it in and out of the seat springs. I have to wrap it in tape to keep the module from falling apart.

Bill
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Bill. That's a shame. Do you know which scan tool I would need?

Maybe I'll move the box inboard -- under the dash or something. I wonder how many wires have to go to the seat itself if the memory module was located under the dash. 6 for the motors, 6 for the position sensors, several for the switch...

Or maybe it's time for a solid mount. Sigh.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 PM
CliffyDeuce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to completely hijack your thread, but when you don't have the module installed, does the telescopic steering wheel just stay where it was set, or does it move to some setting (like full forward)? I ask because I'm trying to put together a list of what I'll need to do, and would prefer to leave the module in the stock seat. I never adjust the steering wheel, as I always have it fully extended.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by parsonsj
Thanks Bill. That's a shame. Do you know which scan tool I would need?

Maybe I'll move the box inboard -- under the dash or something. I wonder how many wires have to go to the seat itself if the memory module was located under the dash. 6 for the motors, 6 for the position sensors, several for the switch...

Or maybe it's time for a solid mount. Sigh.
The Tech 2 certainly. Talk to the people at AutoEnginuity http://autoenginuity.com/order.html. It might be done with the two basic software modules you need to scan GM cars in total and cost about $450. However, I think you have to buy an optional hardare package from them to program modules. That package probably isn't cheap and then you have to buy the programming data from GM. Here is a link to their Programming Module: http://autoenginuity.com/products-hardware.html

Originally Posted by CliffyDeuce
Not to completely hijack your thread, but when you don't have the module installed, does the telescopic steering wheel just stay where it was set, or does it move to some setting (like full forward)? I ask because I'm trying to put together a list of what I'll need to do, and would prefer to leave the module in the stock seat. I never adjust the steering wheel, as I always have it fully extended.
From what I have noticed it stays where it was set when you disconnect the power to the telescoping wheel. You do need to disable the easy exit/entry feature before you shut the car off or the wheel will retract as soon as you open the door. Make sure the parking brake is NOT Applied before you open the door and the wheel will not retract.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am using a manual slider and then I simulate the airbag as outlined in this post....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...race-seat.html

I just leave the steering wheel where I want it before I remove the power seat.

Works great for me.

Charley
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 AM
CliffyDeuce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Get notified of new replies

To A different race seat question

Quick Reply: A different race seat question