Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a bolt in Race Seat for 11 GS...any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a bolt in Race Seat for 11 GS...any suggestions

I would like to find a bolt in race seat that I can pull out stock seat and race seat would bolt down to stock hardware...any sources?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

By bolting to stock hardware do you mean to the stock seat tracks?

Bill
Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
By bolting to stock hardware do you mean to the stock seat tracks?

Bill
Yes...it would be nice to take out stock seat and use the stock tracks if possible. I would like to use stock seat between track events..

Tom
Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

It probably is easier to leave the stock seat attached to its tracks and just throw in a race seat on a set of mounting rails or a stock manual seat track. To get the seat frame off the track you have to pull the bottom seat cushion. When you pull the stock driver's seat out you will lose the telescopic steering since it depends on the memory module fastened to the springs of the seat.

Bill
Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It probably is easier to leave the stock seat attached to its tracks and just throw in a race seat on a set of mounting rails or a stock manual seat track. To get the seat frame off the track you have to pull the bottom seat cushion. When you pull the stock driver's seat out you will lose the telescopic steering since it depends on the memory module fastened to the springs of the seat.

Bill
Not as easy as I thought...I wish I could just unbolt stock seat and bolt down recaro seat....or Gm could build a good seat to begin with..

Last edited by trapp; 02-14-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default sparco pro 2000

Originally Posted by trapp
I would like to find a bolt in race seat that I can pull out stock seat and race seat would bolt down to stock hardware...any sources?
Sparco Pro 2000 fits w/ a slider. This one is very comfortable for my body. I wear a 42 or 43 suit. This also comes in and out of the car pretty easily, but it is so easy on me that I keep it in. The seat was sitting up too straight for me, so I added about an 1 1/2" to the bottom around the two front bolt holes to tilt this back slightly.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

....or Gm could build a good seat to begin with..
GM put good seats in Corvettes up until 1997 but everyone complained they were hard to get in and out of. Have you seen the size of the average Corvette driver?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason
GM put good seats in Corvettes up until 1997 but everyone complained they were hard to get in and out of. Have you seen the size of the average Corvette driver?
I'm 6'1 200lbs...and they are pretty sloppy at the track...I need some duct tape to stay in the seat..

Any easy fixes....bolt in seats?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Step 1: Pick a race seat that fits you.

Step 2: Buy Hardbar seat rails.

Step 3: Install in car for track events

Not sure why this is so hard? As for the stock seats... they're made for fat older people who want to take road trips... and they're wonderful for that.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

You could look at the Carravaggio seats, they mount to the stock seat tracks but they are $$$$ as heck.

Otherwise find a seat that fits you - go someplace that has a lot of different seats in stock so you can test fit them.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 AM
mphox
Instructor

This is what I use, seat, sub and lap harness all comes out together.

http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/catalo...oducts_id=3470

I did not see the seat mount on pfadt website, I don't know if they still make them.

You can put a manual slider between bracket and seat if you want the seat to be adjustable. If you are tall skip the slider. If you need a slider I have one made by Sparco that I would sell. I was too tall to use the slider with a helmet on.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mphox
This is what I use, seat, sub and lap harness all comes out together.

http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/catalo...oducts_id=3470

I did not see the seat mount on pfadt website, I don't know if they still make them.

You can put a manual slider between bracket and seat if you want the seat to be adjustable. If you are tall skip the slider. If you need a slider I have one made by Sparco that I would sell. I was too tall to use the slider with a helmet on.
Awesome...thanks...Just what I was looking for. How much did the sliders raise the seat...I'm 6'1...
Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Jason
I understand that, the ledge on the C4 was a bit of a pain in the ***.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I'm 6'1 200lbs...and they are pretty sloppy at the track...I need some duct tape to stay in the seat..

Any easy fixes....bolt in seats?
First thing to do is to make sure you use the stock harness cinch feature properly. At 6' 1" you may already have the seat all the way back but make sure you pull the belt all the way out until it starts ratcheting when it takes up the slack. Click it closed and use your right hand placed on the shoulder belt portion just above the latch to pull the lap belt tight. Once tight hold it there and use your left hand to feed the shoulder belt portion into the take up reel behind your shoulder. Repeat this several times until the belt is tight across your chest and lap. If you can move the seat forward do so. If you can move it far enough forward to make the belt tight enough to be painful across your pelvis it is almost tight enough. It will actually keep your butt from sliding around in the seat but your upper and lower body will pivot around your butt. You still need to use your knees to brace your legs so they don't swing back and forth. This is a cheap fix and works for fairly heavy G loads. You may already know this but I have found most Corvette owners don't know about the feature and non of the magazine evaluators know about it.

Bill
Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Bill Dearborn;1580033747]First thing to do is to make sure you use the stock harness cinch feature properly. At 6' 1" you may already have the seat all the way back but make sure you pull the belt all the way out until it starts ratcheting when it takes up the slack. Click it closed and use your right hand placed on the shoulder belt portion just above the latch to pull the lap belt tight. Once tight hold it there and use your left hand to feed the shoulder belt portion into the take up reel behind your shoulder. Repeat this several times until the belt is tight across your chest and lap. If you can move the seat forward do so. If you can move it far enough forward to make the belt tight enough to be painful across your pelvis it is almost tight enough. It will actually keep your butt from sliding around in the seat but your upper and lower body will pivot around your butt. You still need to use your knees to brace your legs so they don't swing back and forth. This is a cheap fix and works for fairly heavy G loads. You may already know this but I have found most Corvette owners don't know about the feature and non of the magazine evaluators know about it.

Bill[/QUOTE

I will try this out before spend the $$$$ on a new seat..tx
Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 PM
mphox
Instructor

Awesome...thanks...Just what I was looking for. How much did the sliders raise the seat...I'm 6'1...
About 1 inch. I am 6'-0" with slider and headliner installed with my helmet on the helmet just barely touched the headliner. With headliner removed and slider removed there is about 1-2" between helmet and roof. Still a little tight. There are many variables, torso length, seat braket height, how much seat is reclined etc. to take into consideration.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Here is another consideration if you know an excellent upholsterer. I have been thinking about this quite a bit. First, we know GM extended the shoulder supports slightly for the 12 model year. Following the same reasoning why not work with an upholster that could design and build a lay out that extends support for the shoulders even more than GM did plus add larger/higher bolsters in the seat bottom area to hold a person's legs in place. With the upper and lower body restrained from moving side to side the factory seat belt cinched tightly would probably provide enough support to allow some fairly high G cornering without popping for a race seat. Basically the mods would deepen the bucket and hold a person in the seat better similar to the early C4 seats. One big concern is to make sure the seat mods don't block the side air bag deployment area.

The mods would be a set of Custom foam blocks that fit on the seat bottom and back along with Custom seat skins. When you want to sell the car you pull the seats out and swap the stock foam and skins back into the car. I think Apsis did something like this but loaded the seat up with expensive leather rather some cheap, long lasting covering.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To I need a bolt in Race Seat for 11 GS...any suggestions

Old 02-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

This is how I do it.

My plan was to make a set up that would allow me to quickly swap out my stock seat (which I use for daily driving) with a race seat for HPDE's. I also want the airbags to be active for the trip to and from the track. I am using the Vetteworks Simulators. But, the normal installation requires pulling the stock harness out of the stock seat. To make the switch out easier I ordered a replacement seat harness from one of the forum vendors. Seat harnesses can be ordered two ways....with heat and memory....or without. The harness without heat and memory is only ~$25 (vs. $100+ for the other one). In addition to the harness you will need three plug in simulators (two for pre '08 cars). One simulator is for the seat airbag, the second is for the seat position sensor, the third (for '08+ cars) is for the seat belt pretensioner.

Here is a picture of the three simulators. The two yellow simulators (airbag and pretensioner)fit together and make one plug. The black plug attaches to the harness and simulates the seat position sensor.

Here is a picture of the harness (without heat and memory).

Here is a picture of how I modified the harness. You only need the pink and green wires going to the seat position sensor (or simulator in this case)

This is what the seat area looks like with no seat. The yellow plug is for the seat airbag (and pretensioner in '08+ cars). This is where the two yellow simulators plug in. The wide black plug is where the harness plugs in for the seat track simulator. The black simulator plugs into the other end of the harness.

Cobra Suzuka Pro GT on Arizen slider and Scroth Profi 6 point harness.

Here is the seat in the car (The sholder harnesses go on with the roll bar at the track

Looking down on the seat with the door closed
Old 02-18-2012, 09:45 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
This is how I do it.

My plan was to make a set up that would allow me to quickly swap out my stock seat (which I use for daily driving) with a race seat for HPDE's. I also want the airbags to be active for the trip to and from the track. I am using the Vetteworks Simulators. But, the normal installation requires pulling the stock harness out of the stock seat. To make the switch out easier I ordered a replacement seat harness from one of the forum vendors. Seat harnesses can be ordered two ways....with heat and memory....or without. The harness without heat and memory is only ~$25 (vs. $100+ for the other one). In addition to the harness you will need three plug in simulators (two for pre '08 cars). One simulator is for the seat airbag, the second is for the seat position sensor, the third (for '08+ cars) is for the seat belt pretensioner.

Here is a picture of the three simulators. The two yellow simulators (airbag and pretensioner)fit together and make one plug. The black plug attaches to the harness and simulates the seat position sensor.

Here is a picture of the harness (without heat and memory).

Here is a picture of how I modified the harness. You only need the pink and green wires going to the seat position sensor (or simulator in this case)

This is what the seat area looks like with no seat. The yellow plug is for the seat airbag (and pretensioner in '08+ cars). This is where the two yellow simulators plug in. The wide black plug is where the harness plugs in for the seat track simulator. The black simulator plugs into the other end of the harness.

Cobra Suzuka Pro GT on Arizen slider and Scroth Profi 6 point harness.

Here is the seat in the car (The sholder harnesses go on with the roll bar at the track

Looking down on the seat with the door closed
If I trailer my car to the track to I even need any of this or can I just remove the stock seat and bolt dont the race seat... I'm seriously thinking of your set up anyway...I might send you an PM if I run into issues

Tom
Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Can you give my the info on your seat...Can it move back and forth? I want the identical set up..It looks easy... It looks like there are 3 plugs in the floor of the cars...I got the yellow plug..(airbag), The modified harness I understand too...what the third? do you attach the harness to the race seat???

Quick Reply: I need a bolt in Race Seat for 11 GS...any suggestions