Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go-Pro video ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go-Pro video ??

I'm considering getting a go-pro befor my next HPDE to record the fun. I'm leaning towards a go-pro motorsports hero. Couple questions:

#1. Can the included suction cup mounts be securely fastened to the front windshield, back hatch window or wherever?? to capture good video, or do I need to get a cross bar?

#2. Id the new "hero 2" model much different or better than the original? Because you can get the old hero HD model for $200 now, and the new hero 2 HD is $300.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the Contour Roam... I am debating the same questions on which camera to get and the Contour Roam is 199 Retail... Maybe a video techy guy can chime in...
Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the Hero for Christmas and ended up having to upgrade to the Hero2 HD to get the microphone input. I have a harness bar mount so can't address the suction cup issue, but all clubs might not accept the suction cup mounting.

Jim
Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

I have seen the damage done to another car when the suction cup lets go and tosses the camera off the car at speed. Went in through the grille of a very nice z06. Screwed up the front splitter the bottom of the fascia, the grille and left part of the support resting against the oil cooler. When attached correctly they may work great but their is no guarantee that everybody will attach them correctly.

Bill
Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

people say they've used them for track days, but not one group I've run with allows suction cups.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:09 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Chin motorsports allows them and I've used them many times as does just about everyone else. I've had it up to 145 on the roof, it won't come off. My friend has run them mounted outside at NASA time trials as well. I wouldn't worry about it. They are great cameras a d the suction cup is very sturdy.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:18 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting, I've been to NASA HPDE evets in the NE and they didn't allow them.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:08 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Hero2 for Xmas as well. I mounted mine to my roll bar but as others mentioned, they typically come with a variety of mounting options. The suction cups are quite strong. Make sure the cup and glass are clean and that the glass is relatively flat or slightly concave. When you mount it, try to pull it off as hard as you can, you shouldn't be able to then you know it's a good seal.

I have a couple vids of mine with some track data overlay from my RaceChrono if you are interested, PM me and I'll get you the link.

Jay
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Interesting, I've been to NASA HPDE evets in the NE and they didn't allow them.
Well he had it mounted on the front bumper. Its possible they didn't notice.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Ursoboostd
Racer

I'm thinking about getting one for my 1st track event in April. That weekends cost is snowballing! lol
Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I hope you don’t mind me getting a little off topic but since you haven’t gotten a GoPro, but you might want to look into something. Do the GoPro cameras have adjustable exposure? My experience is has been that adjustable exposure is required if you want to mount a camera to a roll bar/cage inside the car and want to see the interior of the car as well as having a good view through the windshield.

My Chasecam PDR100 does not have adjustable exposure. While the interior of the car looks great in the videos, everything through the windshield is so overexposed it isn’t too recognizable. I also have a Replay XD1080 and had the same problem. However, the Replay XD1080 has adjustable exposure settings (http://replayxd.com/replay-xd1080-advanced/) that really helped out. Now the exterior looks great while the interior is a bit dark but bright enough to see steering wheel movement.

I presume that if you just wanted exterior views, adjustable exposure probably isn't needed.

Sorry, I can't post any video examples. Here are some video captures.

Chasecam PDR100

Replay XD1080, Center Weighted Exposure, Exposure Level 0

Replay XD1080, Center Weighted Exposure, Exposure Level -2

Replay XD1080, Center Weighted Exposure, Exposure Level -3

Replay XD1080, Center Weighted Exposure, Exposure Level -4

I hope this doesn’t sound like too much of a plug for Replay XD1080. That isn’t my intention.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:52 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Sounds like you're asking about mounting it INSIDE ( since you commenting about back glass and cross bars ).

Can't say about tracks days, but for autocross I've found mine to work just fine mounted to the inside of teh windshield, hanging down. You don't get to see "you" in the mix, but the view out the windshield is good.
Mounting it on the back glass ( mine is a C5Z ) works too but you don't get a great view poast the dash. You will see everything YOU are doing inside though.

A harness bar mount would be ideal for best of both IMO.

I have the original HD model and don't have any issues with it inside the car. You need the waterproof cover ( again my opinion ) to get decent sound outside teh car on the roof ( or top of windshield ) as there's allot of wind noise still.

Hope that helps some.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

Appreciate the input guys. Still considering my options, but it is clear that capturing the sight and sound of these cars running hard is worth the cost and effort. It's a way you can share the experience with people who have no clue what it is to drive these cars. Thanks for the help.
Mike.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
MySR71
Pro

Indeed, my experience is limited to mounting a camera inside the car. The examples above (two different cars) have the cameras mounted to roll bars or cages. They are not mounted to rear glass. The video cameras seem the have trouble balancing the relatively dark interiors with the bright exteriors. No matter where the camera is mounted, if the field of view doesn't contain a large variation in darkness, you'll probably be ok. If not, you might want to investigate an option with adjustability (I don't know if the GoPro cameras do or don't).
Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am fairly happy with my Kodak Zi8. It's HD and will record in 1080 or 720. I've mounted inside the windshield on my brother's 04 Z06. I also mount it on the back glass in my 73 or 76. I do put a piece of painter's tape across the mic pickup to keep the wind noise down since I usually run with windows down and T-Tops off.

My brother's Z06 insided windshield:
http://youtu.be/rEgSbSMblmo

In my 73 mounted on back glass:
http://youtu.be/tGrG14t_Rg0
Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

I have the original GoPro HD and it does have a menu setting for exposure - either center-weighted average or spot-metered. Which you chose will depend on where in the car the camera is mounted and what you want to see (outside or interior).
Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 PM
MySR71
Pro

Cool. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Go-Pro video ??

Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Original GoPRO mounted on rear decklid facing the back:
http://vimeo.com/27310738
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
Original GoPRO mounted on rear decklid facing the back:
http://vimeo.com/27310738
Man, that's loud and a lot of noise.

Here's a vid of my setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybm1q...67AUAAAAAAAAAA

It's a crappy low res conversion without any data but it will give you an idea of the angle and sound I got. Not much wind noise at all and this was using the skeleton case.

Jay
Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

thats pretty good for the interior sound. I've got the HD Hero mounted to the inside of my windshield in the original case with one of the adhesive mounts. It has a ton of wind noise and some kind of crackling sound whenever the car is moving

What did you use for that vid? Suction cup?

Originally Posted by crease-guard
Man, that's loud and a lot of noise.

Here's a vid of my setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybm1q...67AUAAAAAAAAAA

It's a crappy low res conversion without any data but it will give you an idea of the angle and sound I got. Not much wind noise at all and this was using the skeleton case.

Jay

Quick Reply: Go-Pro video ??