Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reinforcing Katech Splitter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinforcing Katech Splitter

Built my own reinforcement for the Katech Splitter/Undertray. It was deforming the fascia at the track when run at speed. Used 3/8" x 10" Turnbuckles hook/hook style, and eye bolts in an existing bumper hole and in the splitter. Only a simple drilling out of an existing hole in the splitter required.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:02 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Genius

So the facia was deforming even with the facia reenforcement installed? What speeds? Wondering if I need to do this as well (have ZR1 splitter w/facia reenforcement).
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

The fascia was pulling away from the bottom of the headlights. Noticed it after a few hours of lap time at VIR and The Glenn.

Think it is only an issue if you have the undertray installed.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I plan on building my own undertray, both to get the effects of that but also to decrease ride height (splitter is a full 5" off of the ground). I think I'll use your idea, but also put a piece of aluminum channel to bridge the two hangers.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Another improvement would be to add an aluminum U channel stiffener between the two fasteners that retain the rear edge of the undertray. The current design has a couple of sheet metal L brackets. These allow significant downward flex of the undertray. Adding a stiffening channel across the full width of rear edge of the undertray would tend to prevent this flex.

As I see it the splitter undertray down force is a load spread over the undertray surface and for the most part over the rear half. Perhaps we are getting more than 50# of down force at speeds over 100 mph ( the real down force is a Katech secret for some reason). Then it seems to reason that the structure should be stiff enough so it does not deform if a static load was added to the tray. I think the real down force is nearer to 100# at 100 mph. My test was to use a computer room false floor (see pic) lifter to add a load to the tray across surface center. Very clear that adding 100# causes significant deformation of the undertray and the fascia. So a few small improvements are in order for track use.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

very nice + extra points for the locking nut

Get notified of new replies

To Reinforcing Katech Splitter

Quick Reply: Reinforcing Katech Splitter