Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Corvette Hubs/Spindles with Race Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Stock Corvette Hubs/Spindles with Race Rubber

How fragile are the stock units?

I am having custom spindles made by Cortex for the car. The Cortex guys want to run the car first with the stock setup and then run back to back with their stuff--which is understandable for their info.

It would be easier if we just had the new spindles setup with new SKF hubs and ready to go, and I just ran the old/stock spindles and hubs for that baseline rather than have to swap it all over in a test day.

Will the stockers be alright for a half a test day or maybe up to two test days if we need to debug stuff? This would be with FULL RACE rubber...315 fr and 335 rr Hoosier A6 type of rubber.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

not only are the OEM units durable, but there are at least 3 companies already making billet spindles. I've never broken an upright, even when I smashed them into concrete during street-course races (even though I snapped the rotor in half)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
not only are the OEM units durable, but there are at least 3 companies already making billet spindles. I've never broken an upright, even when I smashed them into concrete during street-course races (even though I snapped the rotor in half)
Gotcha....good to know.

The company who will make my spindles are expanding their current line. Since I am offering them access to a Corvette platform, they are doing it for a bargain to me. The product on the Camaro was second to none the way it came out.....so....why not?? Will get all the advantages of "the industry standard" drop spindles that most use at a smaller cost.

This car is going be fun. I hope to avoid the PAINFUL development of my Camaro.....buying what I could afford at the time, then completely throwing out 90% of it a year or two later for "the next step up" the ladder, then doing it all again 2 years later. The Camaro was finally there....and then it was gone....so sad!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mosler ran OEM uprights on the MT900's that ran, and won the 24 Hours of Daytona.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
Mosler ran OEM uprights on the MT900's that ran, and won the 24 Hours of Daytona.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Not concerned with the uprights.....just the hubs.

Sounds like they will be fine then.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The Timken hubs (OEM supplier) wear out and the flanges are know to spontaneously fracture. Get the SKF race hubs at a minimum. They have a off-set double ball-bearing setup and the flange is much stronger.

MSI just posted up about a fancy new upright that can be used with a traditional hub w/ a spindle for racers who don't need wheel speed sensors etc. Might be right up your alley.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:11 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by travisnd
The Timken hubs (OEM supplier) wear out and the flanges are know to spontaneously fracture. Get the SKF race hubs at a minimum. They have a off-set double ball-bearing setup and the flange is much stronger.

MSI just posted up about a fancy new upright that can be used with a traditional hub w/ a spindle for racers who don't need wheel speed sensors etc. Might be right up your alley.
Right. I fully plan on running SKF hubs on the car in the Cortex spindles.

I know Mark at MSI very well, used a lot of his stuff mocking up the Camaro...hehe. I am just the test mule for Cortex's new uprights, and given my experience with them in the Camaro, I know they will be of superior quality...most likely better than the current offerings....at a minimum a push as far as performance "gain".

For my services, I will get them cheaper than I could buy any of the current offerings....

My question only pertains to running stock hubs in stock uprights for about 1 to 3 test days to get a baseline for Cortex to have. They will be using data aquisition to get their data. I just want to feel comfortable on the stock setup for 1-3 days.

I had a "bit of an off" my last time on the race track...hehe....
Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

10-4... You should be fine on stock stuff to get a baseline for Cortex. If you want to be overly-**** you can check the hub flange for any evidence of stress fracturing periodically.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What kind of tire does it take for the fracturing, something like an A6 or better, or just a simple NT-01?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Usually on DOT-Rs i.e. V710, R6, A6, etc. etc. I've never had one go, but I have replaced one because I thought it was cracking. Forum member Oyishdog had his RF separate in T3 at VIR and I know Varkwso's son had his fracture in T10 at RA.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

OEM hub failure on my T1 car back in my hpde days on R6's. Nearly a complete failure. I'm sure you will be fine for a couple days of testing. If you start to feel brake pad knock-back then take a look at your hubs. SKF hubs are great.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

^ I ran my at VIR this weekend for the first time on SKF hubs in the front. I have Wilwood SL6R calipers (your old ones) and used to get some pretty good knock back going through the uphill esses. This weekend it was almost non existent even though I was taking that section of track entering at 132 and staying over 120 the entire way through.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I ran my at VIR this weekend for the first time on SKF hubs in the front. I have Wilwood SL6R calipers (your old ones) and used to get some pretty good knock back going through the uphill esses. This weekend it was almost non existent even though I was taking that section of track entering at 132 and staying over 120 the entire way through.
Cool and congrats on the new TTA record! Sounds like you guys solved the power problem too. Must have been the fuel filter huh?

Get notified of new replies

To Stock Corvette Hubs/Spindles with Race Rubber

Quick Reply: Stock Corvette Hubs/Spindles with Race Rubber