Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie-downs for enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Tie-downs for enclosed trailer

Last fall, I bought an enclosed trailer to haul my 87 and I'm looking for some ideas on front tie-downs.

The trailer came with D-rings in front and back so I have that part done. I also have the rear tie-down straps figured out. Because the car doors won't clear the insidetrailer fenders, I had to install 2x12's to raise the car. Right now they are temporarily held in place with wood screws. They will eventually be bolted to the frame crossmembers.

What I need to come up with is an idea to tie the front down without crawling under the car to attach the straps. Not a lot of room on the side Can I use something like e-track on the 2x12's and use a webbing over the tires?

Does anyone use a through-the-wheel tie-down method? I have found some 40" axle straps from Mac's that could easily work, but is this a secure method? The rear straps will attach to the frame but will too much tension back there cause the front tires to move which could loosen the front straps?

Ideas and/or pics would be greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
75Jean (07-12-2018)
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

On my father's Panoz we use basic wheel straps up front (through the wheels) and had two D-rings placed out as wide as possible in the front so the straps don't hit the body/nose. In the rear we strap to the chassis and X the straps. Car never moves at all. Also leave the winch connected to the front tow strap.

EDIT - Towing my Z06 in the same trailer I used my J-hooks and X'd the straps in the rear, but used the wheel straps and had the straps straight in the front; zero issues. On my open trailer I X them in the rear and have them straight up front, but use J-hooks at all four corners. Never had any issues not X-ing both ends. Personally, I strap my car down then drive around the block (or paddock) tapping the gas and brakes to load the car and then stop and re-check them. I also check at every fuel stop.

Last edited by travisnd; 02-20-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

For the last 10 years I have used that method, but it is important you cross the tie downs to keep the car from moving laterally. It is best to load the car and use the tie downs, let it rest and recheck. That way you will take up the slack in the webbing. After an event, let the car set at least 1/2 hr-more if on hoosiers- before you recheck. Personally I like the over the tire best and through the wheel next. That way the car rides on its own suspension. Others prefer to tie down the suspension. Both work but I started the wheel method after reading tie down methods in a circle track magazine 25 yrs ago. Back then they preferred the over the tire method best vs J hooks and shipping slots. However that is very difficult to do in an enclosed trailer.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I used fixed length straps for the front and only ratchet the rear. Figure out what length you need and have them made. Flat hooks for the end that attaches to the t-hooks in the frame and twisted or flat for the trailer tie down end of the straps. Install them before you put the car all the way in the trailer and if you have a winch pull from them. Then attach the front tie down points and finally ratchet the rears. If you are not winching then simply use a bungee cord to keep them snug up front until you attach them to the trailer tie down points. This method makes loading extremely easy because everything is attached to the car prior to it going fully into the trailer where access to the frame slots is limited. If you have a short trailer then it will also help to get ratchet reducers. They are simply a hook that replaces the short strap/hook on the rachet and moves the ratchet assembly away from the car.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:27 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

In front to tie down my dad's 90 ZR-1 we us about a 12-14" axle strap wrapped around the lower control arm. We then cross our tie downs and hook them up to the axle straps. In the rear, we use the through the wheel method with axle straps. We do not cross the rear straps. You do have to lay on the floor in order to get the axle straps around the front control arms, but it is doable inside the trailer. Also be sure not to mistakenly wrap the axle strap around the steering rack. This method has worked for us for many years now with out incident.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:45 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

If you can download or request the catalog from Mac's.
They have a few different ways you can do it, illustrated well in the catalog.
I highly recommend their straps too I have 2 sets and they're a quality piece

Get notified of new replies

To Tie-downs for enclosed trailer

Quick Reply: Tie-downs for enclosed trailer