Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS fluid cooked?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default PS fluid cooked?

Haven't read much about this here and couldn't find any info in a search so....

Car is 2006 ls2 w/Z51 option. Driver is a beginner and have done a few DE/autoX. It seems like the PS fluid is getting cooked. At around 30K miles it looked like the original fluid was discolored and had a faint burnt odor - think trans fluid that got a little hot. I flushed the system and filled with new factory fluid - clear slightly pale purple color. Now after 15 K miles and only one AutoX, one DE the fluid is getting the color again and the burnt odor is slowly coming back. Anyone have this happen and what was the cure?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Autocrosses and road courses will do that. You may get away with using a synthetic PS fluid like Redline or Gibbs, but the ultimate cure is a Turn One power steering pump.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve J06
Haven't read much about this here and couldn't find any info in a search so....

Car is 2006 ls2 w/Z51 option. Driver is a beginner and have done a few DE/autoX. It seems like the PS fluid is getting cooked. At around 30K miles it looked like the original fluid was discolored and had a faint burnt odor - think trans fluid that got a little hot. I flushed the system and filled with new factory fluid - clear slightly pale purple color. Now after 15 K miles and only one AutoX, one DE the fluid is getting the color again and the burnt odor is slowly coming back. Anyone have this happen and what was the cure?
Check that the upper radiator hose is not resting against the PS pump.Change the fluid in the resevoir after each track day.And when the stock pump pukes,get a TURN 1 pump.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:43 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will check the hose tonight. The real answer seems to be a different pump and not better cooling? I suppose this because the factory pump is overdriven at high rpm.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had problems with the PS fluid boiling out of the pump. I changed the fluid to a synthetic and it solved the problem. That reminds me, I need to do that again.

Jim
Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

OEM PS cooler + Redline fluid + sucking it out of the reservoir and replacing what was removed between track weekends = no PS issues for 10 years of tracking/racing C5s. Haven't needed a Turn One pump yet. However, if mine ever goes that's what I'd replace it with.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

In addition to what travisnd posted, lower your fluid level until it barely touches the dipstick when cold. That will prevent if from boiling out past the cap if and when it gets hot.

Get notified of new replies

To PS fluid cooked?

Quick Reply: PS fluid cooked?